Previous   Next

What sport was your high school best at?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on September 1, 2011

Browse the archives

“Football. My high school was in New York and they went to state pretty frequently.”

“Soccer. They won state my junior year.”

“Baseball. We made it to state a couple times while we were there.”

“Cross country. They are in the top 50 for ESPN’s high school rankings. I think they’re the only Kansas team ranked nationally.”

Comments

shadowbox66044 3 years, 9 months ago

Your answers are always short, "yes, no, or none", is that because you feel the need to rush your answer so that you can be first?

jonas_opines 3 years, 9 months ago

It's because they're trolling. They get on at the right time, write two words, and everybody freaks out on practically a daily basis. And they get to laugh about it every day.

Deja Coffin 3 years, 9 months ago

I thought it was goat wrestling. Not that I would ever say something so mean but in high school my friends would always refer to your hometown as a place where the women are ugly and the goats are nervous. Of course that was many years ago and I'm sure completely inaccurate.

geoismeo 3 years, 9 months ago

Lawrence High School. Football till Wedd took over

cato_the_elder 3 years, 9 months ago

Coach Wedd has had good kids but very little serious talent since the outstanding 2005 team that lost in a very close game in the State semifinal matchup. Barring a rash of injuries, this could be a good year. You may want to revisit your comment at the end of this season.

Doug Fisher 3 years, 9 months ago

LHS hasn't really had good FB since the days when this town had just 1 high school. The split really hurt the talent.

jonas_opines 3 years, 9 months ago

I seem to recall that we had a pretty good basketball team. Our football was horrid.

LadyJ 3 years, 9 months ago

Riots and demonstrations not to mention smoking of all sorts. There was a lot of drug use too.

boxers_or_briefs 3 years, 9 months ago

Nothing. We stunk at everything. I don't think we had a winning record in any team sport.

Kontum1972 3 years, 9 months ago

drag racing on the 20th street the strip-pits....

Ceallach 3 years, 9 months ago

LHS!!! The school was best at football. State champs (pretty much always) and featured in Life magazine (at the time it was a big deal).

The students were best at dragging Mass and chowing down at Allen's Drive-In.

jonas_opines 3 years, 9 months ago

I do remember back in my High School days that Lawrence was the team to beat, that we could, of course, never beat. My how times have changed.

M. Lindeman 3 years, 9 months ago

If memory serves me right, we cruised down mass st. Haskel south of 23rd is where we drag raced.

brutus 3 years, 9 months ago

My high school was a national power in basketball. 20+ state titles.

Kontum1972 3 years, 9 months ago

dragging the Gut on Broadway...then out to the strip pits for some beer chicks and swimming!

gphawk89 3 years, 9 months ago

Football, at least my senior year. We went undefeated and won the KS state championship.

Kontum1972 3 years, 9 months ago

class 1969 under coach Larry "the Nose" Garman...

Deja Coffin 3 years, 9 months ago

We had spurts of being good at many different sports throughout the years but I can't think of one sport that we were known to dominate year after year. Maybe things have changed though, I haven't gone to a sporting event there in years but I do enjoy going to my local town's home high school football games when I can.

Remember if you can't be an athlete then be an athletic supporter!!

Armored_One 3 years, 8 months ago

Is losing a sport, because my school definately excelled in it. LOL

Linda Endicott 3 years, 8 months ago

I went to high school in the 70s...I think the sport our school was best at was making out...