Previous   Next

What are you reading?

Asked at Lawrence Public Library, 707 Vermont on October 31, 2011

Browse the archives

A Single Shard’ by Linda Sue Park. I’m reading it with my book club. ”

Osman’s Dream’ by Carolyn Finkle. It’s about the history of the Ottoman Empire. I’m learning a lot. ”

Bridge of Sighs’ by Robert Russo. Several friends mentioned it. It is excellent. ”

American Assassin’ by Vince Flynn. It’s the newest of his series. ”

Columbarium’ by Susan Stewart. I read her work ‘Forest,’ and that was very compelling.”

Comments

riverdrifter 2 years, 5 months ago

Field Notes From A Wilderness Lookout by Philip Conner. It's about a guy who quit Wall Street and went to work as a fire tower observer in SW New Mexico. Years ago I climbed an abandoned tower in Minnesota. The top is sort've a glass box. Lightning hits'em, see.

roadwarrior 2 years, 5 months ago

Muses, Madmen and Prophets. A history of auditory hallucination. Daniel B. Smith Some of the greatest thinkers, leaders and prophets in history heard, listened to, and had dialogues with voices inside their heads. In a fascinating quest for understanding, Smith examines the history of this powerful phenomenon, and delivers a ringing defense of the validity of unusual human experiences.

Katara 2 years, 5 months ago

“‘Osman’s Dream’ by Carolyn Finkle."

This sounds interesting. It would be kind of cool if they had a follow-up OTS question to all the people asked to see if they enjoyed what they read.

newmommiebrazil 2 years, 5 months ago

the unabomber manifesto. truly a great and legit read.

Rara_Avis 2 years, 5 months ago

Somebody just tricked my treat. I watched this video several times trying to figure out who the bald guy behind Bob is. I finally realized it's Mark freakin' Knopfler! My, how time flies.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2eyu8...

autie 2 years, 5 months ago

I was just reading...that Kim and Kris are calling it quits already....I'm just appalled. Just because the snotty little slut didn't want to live in Minnesota.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 2 years, 5 months ago

I will be reading traffic signs.
Because it it man thigh monday, and it is never to cool to wear shorts to the liquor store. I will be offering my praises to Ninkasi, The Lady who fills the mouth.

Rara_Avis 2 years, 5 months ago

The Power of Positive Thinking by B. Abboy

gphawk89 2 years, 5 months ago

"Wood-Destroying Pest Management - Pesticide Applicator Training - Category 7B"

The_Original_Bob 2 years, 5 months ago

"Started to read comments but thought they were stupid and stopped and typed this response......"

Babboy. Legend.

RoeDapple 2 years, 5 months ago

I read "The Godfather" in 1970 in two days. When I finished it I said it would be a great movie. I read "Forrest Gump" in 1987, also thought it should be a movie. Happened. Just finished "World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War" by Max Brooks. Found out Brad Pitt will star in it late in 2012. (Dec 21,2012?)

Any books you want me to read?

RoeDapple 2 years, 5 months ago

I am reading the hard copy of the LJW. I mostly come to the LJWorld online for the OTS. But you're all weird so I've been giving it a little rest. I'll be back . . . .

autie 2 years, 5 months ago

more mindless banter. clamp it.

RoeDapple 2 years, 5 months ago

Well . . . glad I hadn't commented. Yet. Then.

BABBOY 2 years, 5 months ago

Well, the ljworld web site on the street question.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 2 years, 5 months ago

No, but I have rode the hound. Just not on Halloween. Halloween sucks. I learned this just days before that goat fornicator Carter stole the election from Jerry and Bob. The year was 1976. It was Halloween night. I stayed out all night waiting for "The Great Pumpkin" to come. I had hunkered down in the nearest pumpkin patch I could find, shivering in the dark night as a cold damp wind blew. The moon was just past half full, but I could not see much as the clouds obscured most of the reflected sunlight from the other side of the world. I was determined to stay the course and complete my quest. An eternity passed when I was startled by the sound of crunching footsteps, my fingers were so cold that I could not switch on my electric torch. A slight shadow was cast by an overly round and squat figure, immersing me in total darkness. "What the hell are you doing in my garden?" boomed the a voice from the figure. As I began to tell my story, the clouds evaporated that were blocking the moon, and I was able to see an elderly man. He was a widower, and his deceased wife had started the pumpkin patch, when he couldn't sleep he would walk about the garden and talk with her. Anyway, we sat on his back porch talking, and he shared his flask with me. I learned more than a few things that night. Among them; "The Great Pumpkin" does not exist, and don't come home polluted at 3 in the morning.

fabian_zimbabwe 2 years, 5 months ago

"The Girl Who Played with Fire"...also looking forward to the Daniel Craig version of "Dragon Tattoo" this winter.

kernal 2 years, 5 months ago

The Bill of Rights; it hangs on the wall above my desk. It replaced the one I had in another life, in another state. One of the movers had never seen it and the look on his face prompted me to give it to him. Not a thing was broken on that move.

Liberty_One 2 years, 5 months ago

Conceived in Liberty by Murray Rothbard.

autie 2 years, 5 months ago

What will you do with your extra hour next Sunday morning?

rockchalker52 2 years, 5 months ago

Just finished "Feast Day of Fools" by James Lee Burke. I wish I could write as well as he does.
Right now I'm reading between the lines about the recent status of this here OTS board. Seems it's a new take on an old favorite, will have to compare to older classic versions & get back to you.

Flap Doodle 2 years, 5 months ago

Around the World with 40 Lemurs

Paul R Getto 2 years, 5 months ago

The Believing Brain: From Ghosts and Gods to Politics and Conspiracies---How We Construct Beliefs and Reinforce Them as Truths. Michael Shermer. Explains a great deal about politics and how our brains react to belief and 'information.'

autie 2 years, 5 months ago

the National Geographic. But I mostly just look at the pictures.

LadyJ 2 years, 5 months ago

The library is open after midnight? Saw that the library will be closed Wednesday. That might leave some unable to comment on the LJW.

Pitt_Mackeson 2 years, 5 months ago

Roland Gunslinger 2 years, 5 months ago

The Air Force Professional Development Guide and Senior Non-commissioned Officers Profession Military Education Course 14 materials.

Fascinating and thrilling stuff! /sarcasm

jimjones 2 years, 5 months ago

How To Hire A New Football Coach.