Previous   Next

What technology did you use in elementary school?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on October 28, 2011

Browse the archives

“We had a computer but I didn’t use it for school. Our work was mostly done with pencils and paper.”

“Computer labs had old Apples. You never turned in anything on the computer, though.”

“We had see-through Macs and played Oregon Trail on them. ”

“We may have used calculators. In fifth or sixth grade I think we used computers, too.”

Comments

labmonkey 3 years, 2 months ago

We got our first Apple IIe in third grade. Oregon Trail and Montezuma's revenge.

DillonBarnes 3 years, 2 months ago

Prepare for "back in my day" statements.

ljwhirled 3 years, 1 month ago

Like a desire for good order and discipline?

Or sick and twisted fantasies of being dominated by a big strong man? Tied up, tied down, up against the wall, she's my rubber made baby and she can do it all.

RoeDapple 3 years, 2 months ago

First Grade, 1956. Instead of recess after lunch each student had their own rug they would lay on for a thirty minute nap. Still works for me to this day.

grammaddy 3 years, 2 months ago

Technology? We got to watch a lady from channel 11 try to teach us Spanish. It was in "living color"!!

appleaday 3 years, 2 months ago

All I remember from that was her stirring a big bowl of chocolate cake batter, saying, "Bate, bate el chocolate."

grammaddy 3 years, 2 months ago

I missed that one. Are you sure you don't have her confused with "Dora". They play that episode a lot.

LadyJ 3 years, 2 months ago

Teacher used a stick to write in the dirt.

FlintlockRifle 3 years, 2 months ago

Oh yes we had something called a """Chalk Board"", and 10 fingers===

trinity 3 years, 2 months ago

To this day, can't talk about elementary school. It conjures up mental pictures of ruler wielding nuns. {shudder}

grammaddy 3 years, 2 months ago

Scary stuff. Reminds me of my High School. Yikes. We also had one who like to tap people in the top of their head with the business end of a pencil until the tip broke off in some kids head. Never saw her again after that.

Christine Anderson 3 years, 2 months ago

I'm sorry the nuns you encountered were evil. (ha,ha) As a small child, I thought nuns could fly! Thanks to Sally Field.

ljwhirled 3 years, 1 month ago

They can, you just need to throw them off a high enough building.

TopJayhawk 3 years, 1 month ago

They'd turn on the fan and say. "Sit down and shut up and you won't be so hot." Now they either AC the schools or let the soft little darlings stay home.

james bush 3 years, 2 months ago

shaeffer(sp?) fountain pen and ink well.........and ruler.........and mechanical pencil with No. 2 leads.

LadyJ 3 years, 2 months ago

We had to use fountain pens with cartridges, boy they made a mess when they leaked. When we finally got to use ball point pens, we thought they were marvelous inventions.

purplesage 3 years, 2 months ago

The eraser. Both the opaque pink looking things and the cool, kind of transluscent ones in multiple colors. Plus, they bounced, almost as well as a superball.

rockchalker52 3 years, 2 months ago

'The fleet of Daisy model 99 guns our grade school used." R_I

The top one is a Daisy pump action 880 I think. Used it all the time in my grade school days, just not 'til after school. I still have it. It's a fine tool for scattin' squirrels & groundhogs.

nocrybabies 3 years, 2 months ago

Big Chief Tablets and Crayons and big fat pencils and Pink Pearl erasers.

Bill Lee 3 years, 2 months ago

Incandescent light bulbs, protractors, scissors, big chief tablets & pencils, fountain pens as I got older. It was nice to leave the quills behind.

tanaumaga 3 years, 2 months ago

spanish lab at west junior high......trays lowering from the ceiling with headphones.

rockchalker52 3 years, 2 months ago

Hope technology keeps on keepin' on. Wish I'd grown up with computers. Old dog new trick syndrome ain't all fiction. It's 5 to 2 Cards in the seventh & there is leftover space on todays OTS so here are some jokes & stuff I found online:

How to you make a dish washer into a snow blower? Give her a shovel

If a turtle doesnt have a shell, is it naked or homeless ?

Why do gorillas have big nostrils? Because they have big fingers.

Q. What do you call a nun with a sex change operation? A. A tran-sister.

"My mom said she learned how to swim when someone took her out in the lake and threw her off the boat. I said, 'Mom, they weren't trying to teach you how to swim.'" --Paula Poundstone

"Did you ever walk in a room and forget why you walked in? I think that's how dogs spend their lives." --Sue Murphy

"I always wanted to be somebody, but I should have been more specific."

Why do you have to 'put your two cents in'... but it's only a 'penny for your thoughts'? Where's that extra penny going to?

Why are you IN a movie, but you're ON TV?

If Jimmy cracks corn and no one cares, why is there a song about him? --Lily Tomlin

gphawk89 3 years, 2 months ago

Filmstrips, overhead projectors, #2 pencils, Big Chief tablets, crayons, chalk. The ditto paper tasted terrible.

verity 3 years, 2 months ago

A box of 64 Crayolas. That was all the colors that existed then.

The flesh color wasn't very convincing, but red-violet, blue-green and red-orange---those was some purdy colors we had.

And rubber cement. That was some fun stuff.

Then there are some things best left unremembered.

Richard Heckler 3 years, 2 months ago

The best there was available and it worked.

wtchdr46 3 years, 2 months ago

I began elementary school at Vinland in 1952. I finished elementary school at Vinland in 1960. Technology????

RobertMarble 3 years, 2 months ago

we had to walk 7 miles through the snow, uphill (both ways) to get to and from school...we were the generation that used the first 'Trapper Keeper'

pace 3 years, 1 month ago

A time machine and a matter transferer. Every once in a while we would use an old space ship and have a moon day.

roadwarrior 3 years, 1 month ago

rubber cement was fun. It reminded us of boogers....(giggle)