Previous   Next

Whom do you look up to or admire?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on October 25, 2011

Browse the archives

“My parents. To see where they started out and where they are now, I look up to them. ”

“My friend Clint — he’s older, been around awhile, been a lot of places. He’s a very hard worker and I’m learning a lot working with him — somebody who’s so passionate about the art. ”

“I look up to my professors. I appreciate what they do and the help they give to us. ”

“The president. His ability to problem-solve complex issues is so important for our country.”

Comments

fabian_zimbabwe 3 years, 2 months ago

I look up to ku_law. Man, how I wish I could be aspire to be the first poster on these message boards, then I would be so cool. Stupid sleep.

pure_republication 3 years, 2 months ago

Carol, The president does not problem solve! He creates problems not solve them.

I look to my friend, Maurice, a wise man.

beatrice 3 years, 2 months ago

Indeed. How dare an American claim they admire the President of the United States! Why, that person should be put in jail for such a treasonous act.

I admire people who can still show respect for the office of the president, even when it isn't their party in power.

riverdrifter 3 years, 2 months ago

Being an antiquarian: Abraham Lincoln. Crazy Horse.

RoeDapple 3 years, 2 months ago

teh cuzins jed and elly mae . . . clampett

RoeDapple 3 years, 2 months ago

My parents, of course. . All who have served in the military, past and present. . John Browning, Samuel Colt, Horace Smith, Daniel Wesson, Eugene Stoner, Mikhail Kalashnikov, Richard Gatling, John Garand, Paul and Wilhelm Mauser, Sir Hiram Maxim, John Taliaferro Thompson, Georg Luger, Christian Sharps.

Wadde 3 years, 2 months ago

"The ascended Master Jesus" The great Iam The three-fold flame God the father and the son and the holyspirit.

beatrice 3 years, 2 months ago

Fail? For admiring the President of the United States? Amazing how far we have fallen for this party over country nonsense. Sorry lab, but the inability to recognize why someone might admire and respect not only the President but the office of the president of OUR United States is the failure. The failure is yours, not Carol's.

labmonkey 3 years, 2 months ago

"His ability to problem-solve complex issues is so important for our country." That is her fail.

beatrice 3 years, 2 months ago

Actually, what she said is a true statement. A president's ability to problem-solve issues is important for our country. I absoultely agree. However, you might feel Obama doesn't do it often enough. That doesn't make the statement any less true. Again, you might believe he has failed, but it still isn't her failure for admiring the President of the United States of America (and that is how everyone not playing party before country political games would read your initial response). Gosh, in different times you probably would have just said she was being patriotic. What next, going to complain when someone flies an American flag ... while Obama is president? I mean, that is like supporting him, after all.

LadyJ 3 years, 2 months ago

The moon. I can't look at the sun long enough to see if I admire it. I do admire a beautiful sunrise or sunset also.

rockchalker52 3 years, 2 months ago

I admire my daddy, my sister, my lovely wife & look up to anybody taller than five foot eight.

lunacydetector 3 years, 2 months ago

oh carol, carol, carol.....it is 'His ability to create complex problems and issues to destroy our country.'

...not to be admired

somedude20 3 years, 2 months ago

Since I have a mirrored ceiling, I guess I look up to myself (well, at certain times). Really, I look up to many of the Republicans in politics because they have this uncanny ability to sell the American people a bill of goods and make them happy about it. I mean really, these guys are able to feed their followers turds, and their followers are happy about it. Oy Vey! Eat em and smile!

emaw 3 years, 2 months ago

I don't think Rebecca has heard the old saying about those who cant.

kernal 3 years, 2 months ago

The team who rescued the Chilean miners

Eveleyn Apoko who took Rush Limbaugh to task for another of his thoughtless remarks: http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/world/2011/10/23/intv-child-slave.cnn

kernal 3 years, 2 months ago

I should have mentioned the video may be hard to watch for some, so if you're ultra-sensitive, you may want to opt for the written story instead.

rockchalker52 3 years, 2 months ago

Since ignaz' message has fallen woefully upon deaf & dirty ears, I opted for the injection. Not an admirer of the provider's technique. Made me roll up my sleeve so far that I got my eyeglasses caught in it. Then she poked me at the very top of my arm. She could've saved a lot of time & just stabbed me in the neck.

beatrice 3 years, 2 months ago

I look up to people who are taller than me.

Cait McKnelly 3 years, 2 months ago

Carol. I look up to and admire anyone brave enough to admit they respect the office of the Presidency in the middle of this pack of wolves. But next time, honey, just tell them, "We survived Bush. You'll survive Obama."

rockchalker52 3 years, 2 months ago

Have thought this for a while, but it seemed irrelevant unti now and, for heaven's sake, we must stay on topic:

I admire beatrice from the great southwest. Have you ever checked out her online jousting with those with whom she disagrees? Concisely eloquent, it can cut you to the quick. One had best prepare thoroughly to debate with her.

beatrice/gandalf in 2012. Hey, I admire old horn dogs, too.

beatrice 3 years, 2 months ago

If you think we have it bad now, I can guarantee you the beatrice/gandalf ticket will have you wishing for the likes of Obama and/or Bush to return. We would make a Palin/Edwards ticket look tame by comparison, or at least I would do my part to really mess things up.

pace 3 years, 2 months ago

I admire the parents, who take care of their children, I admire people who try to keep their word. I like straight talkers. I admire people who can think and act beyond the immediate, I admire the people who show up for work and do their jobs.

Martin Luther King Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt, My Bob, President Obama, My neighbor kid, who is friendly, polite and thoughtful. He is good at practicing at the drums. Allen Ginsberg, Emily Dickinson, Benjamin Franklin, Major Baker at my old church. he was patient, kind and smart. Bill Hatke, original thinker and led a conscious life. I could go on and on, to wrap it up, I like doers that think.

labmonkey 3 years, 2 months ago

I admire those who go to the middle of bum-**** North Dakota for a job to support their families even though the living conditions are horrible and they are away from the ones they love for weeks at a time... as opposed to those protesting right now, blaming everyone but themselves for their current condition and not looking for a job to better their lot in life.

beatrice 3 years, 2 months ago

People protesting aren't just those looking for work. You are missing the point entirely if this is what you think. Also, living away from your loved ones isn't exactly bettering one's lot in life, in my opinion.

I'm not sure why you believe that there are jobs to be had in North Dakota. I thought the tax cuts for the wealthy were providing jobs for everyone everywhere ... oh, wait, no I don't, because they don't.

labmonkey 3 years, 2 months ago

There is an oil boom happening in North Dakota, but the infrastructure is not there to house people who work there. Many will travel there for weeks at a time for double, triple what they make anywhere else. These people are making up to six figure salaries yet living in Wal-Mart parking lots and mancamps... and for many this is the only job they can get. I admire anyone who sacrifaces for their families and actually makes me believe there is still some of the hearty stock from the greatest generation out there.

The people protesting cannot possibly have jobs... how can they stay there for over a month and still retain their employment? Instead of looking for a job, they have to protest and blame others. There will always be a-hole rich people who will screw over anyone to become richer, but there are also many good rich people out there who create thousands of jobs and treat their employees well. They want to throw out the baby with the bathwater. It is also flat out embarrassing to hear protesters demand their college loans paid off or for unlimited unemployment benefits.

Dixie Jones 3 years, 2 months ago

My 16 Year old Autistic son. He has far surpassed what KU med ever said he would be or do... We can learn so much from a person with a disability if we just give them the chance to teach us about thier world..you Rock KJ

Christine Anderson 3 years, 2 months ago

Thank God at least one child makes progress. Sincerely, it does my heart good to know that some of the special kiddos with this cruel disorder move upward and forward.

equalaccessprivacy 3 years, 2 months ago

I admire people who respect decent social boundaries,have their brains in gear, and do not judge or treat others differently based on offensive stereotypes--which means almost no one I have run into in KS.

rockchalker52 3 years, 2 months ago

Hammond is a literal soul. He started getting into trouble when the director yelled, "cut!"

grammaddy 3 years, 2 months ago

President Barack Hussein Obama. He keeps the promises he makes. And doesn't give a diddly who doesn't like it.

Liberty275 3 years, 2 months ago

I wonder if he ever promised to not order the assassination of an American citizen.

Flap Doodle 3 years, 2 months ago

I thought using the mope's middle name was offensive and racist and a code word for calling him a secret Muslim and stuff????

beatrice 3 years, 2 months ago

It can be used in an offensive and racial way: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bky2SG...

Mope is deragatory. I prefered it when you called him "thug." That showed where you really stand.

beatrice 3 years, 2 months ago

Yes, in fact "liar" is offensive. Too often we use it when there is really a differing of opinion. Sometimes, however, it fits when a person is caught saying things they know to be untrue.

RoeDapple 3 years, 2 months ago

"There must be an election coming up. These boards are getting hotter."

♣Free The Goats!♣

RoeDapple 3 years, 2 months ago

Too many posters staying on topic.

Clamp it!

I'm outa here . . .

Flap Doodle 3 years, 2 months ago

John Moses Browning. One hundred years ago, the US Army adopted the Browning automatic pistol. With only minor changes it is still in production by several makers. IMHO, the 1911 is still the number 1 close combat sidearm in the world.

Cait McKnelly 3 years, 2 months ago

If you're talking about the Kansas City Whizzo, he had a reputation for being a drunk, abusive to the kids on his show and "inappropriate" in front of them. I FAR preferred Torey Southwick and his puppet "Gus". (In fact he accepted me as a friend on Facebook. He's now retired and living in Fredricksburg, VA.)

Liberty275 3 years, 2 months ago

I admire Merrill because he/she has some wicked copypasta skills.

Cait McKnelly 3 years, 2 months ago

Really? Think I can get his/her spaghetti recipe?

fastwalker 3 years, 2 months ago

Barack H. Obama, because he gives the toilet its paper. He puts the H and O in H20. He is the original father of all of our mothers, and the lover of all earthly woman. He solves all of the world's problems with his ever-sharp wit, without relying on a small army of advisors, assistants, pamperers, and brown-eyed nosers.

My other heroes include all those class warriors that sleep in parks and pretend they are changing the world by doing so. Even though I will never soil myself by joining them, they did a fine job showing how one might do nothin' by doing absolutely nothin'.

Richard Heckler 3 years, 2 months ago

• Mike Wildgen because of his ability to step in and keep things running and because he knows how to ride a bike. Hats off to Mike Wildgen.

• Ralph Nader

• because of his position on incumbents meaning 90% should replaced each election cycle

• because he would push for election reform that would have conventional politicians shaking in their boots

• because he would push for the best Single Payer Medical Insurance that would provide coverage for all 24/7 and create jobs for millions.

• The OWS protesters for bringing crime,fraud and economic injustice to the forefront.

cato_the_elder 3 years, 2 months ago

Merrill, Ralph Nader is one of my heroes too. Had he not run for president in 2000, Gore would have won Florida easily. The same goes for Janet Reno. Her handling of the Elian Gonzales affair cost Gore plenty of Florida Hispanic votes in 2000. The only reason the 2000 election was close at all was as the result of the efforts of Nader and Reno, so here's to opening a bottle of Old Milwaukee in honor of each of them.

Rae Hudspeth 3 years, 2 months ago

I'm totally late to the party, but I look up to my English teachers and my mother, who always corrects my grammar:

"To whom do you look up?" or better yet "Who do you admire?"

Thank you, Mum.