Previous   Next

Whom do you look up to or admire?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on October 25, 2011

Browse the archives

“My parents. To see where they started out and where they are now, I look up to them. ”

“My friend Clint — he’s older, been around awhile, been a lot of places. He’s a very hard worker and I’m learning a lot working with him — somebody who’s so passionate about the art. ”

“I look up to my professors. I appreciate what they do and the help they give to us. ”

“The president. His ability to problem-solve complex issues is so important for our country.”

Comments

Rae Hudspeth 2 years, 5 months ago

I'm totally late to the party, but I look up to my English teachers and my mother, who always corrects my grammar:

"To whom do you look up?" or better yet "Who do you admire?"

Thank you, Mum.

Paul R Getto 2 years, 5 months ago

My mom and dad. Some of the greatest people in the whole wide world.

Richard Heckler 2 years, 5 months ago

• Mike Wildgen because of his ability to step in and keep things running and because he knows how to ride a bike. Hats off to Mike Wildgen.

• Ralph Nader

• because of his position on incumbents meaning 90% should replaced each election cycle

• because he would push for election reform that would have conventional politicians shaking in their boots

• because he would push for the best Single Payer Medical Insurance that would provide coverage for all 24/7 and create jobs for millions.

• The OWS protesters for bringing crime,fraud and economic injustice to the forefront.

fastwalker 2 years, 5 months ago

Barack H. Obama, because he gives the toilet its paper. He puts the H and O in H20. He is the original father of all of our mothers, and the lover of all earthly woman. He solves all of the world's problems with his ever-sharp wit, without relying on a small army of advisors, assistants, pamperers, and brown-eyed nosers.

My other heroes include all those class warriors that sleep in parks and pretend they are changing the world by doing so. Even though I will never soil myself by joining them, they did a fine job showing how one might do nothin' by doing absolutely nothin'.

Liberty275 2 years, 5 months ago

I admire Merrill because he/she has some wicked copypasta skills.

Odeo 2 years, 5 months ago

"My dad died three years ago and I miss him". - BABBOY

Man, not a club that I ever wanted to be in but am now, recently. Sorry, man, for your loss. I hear ya. Guess it just happens.... - Odeo

blue73harley 2 years, 5 months ago

Whizzo.

He could fix anything with a little Whizzo dust. He would have made a great city commissioner.

Flap Doodle 2 years, 5 months ago

John Moses Browning. One hundred years ago, the US Army adopted the Browning automatic pistol. With only minor changes it is still in production by several makers. IMHO, the 1911 is still the number 1 close combat sidearm in the world.

Agnostick 2 years, 5 months ago

Janitors masquerading as lawyers.

RoeDapple 2 years, 5 months ago

Too many posters staying on topic.

Clamp it!

I'm outa here . . .

RoeDapple 2 years, 5 months ago

"There must be an election coming up. These boards are getting hotter."

♣Free The Goats!♣

The_Original_Bob 2 years, 5 months ago

"Hammond is a literal soul. He started getting into trouble when the director yelled, "cut!"

• 1 Eight-ball.

Flap Doodle 2 years, 5 months ago

I thought using the mope's middle name was offensive and racist and a code word for calling him a secret Muslim and stuff????

grammaddy 2 years, 5 months ago

President Barack Hussein Obama. He keeps the promises he makes. And doesn't give a diddly who doesn't like it.

rockchalker52 2 years, 5 months ago

autie 2 years, 5 months ago

I don't care if Darrell Hammond fornicated with goats. I'm still not buying his book.

The_Original_Bob 2 years, 5 months ago

The_Original_Bob 2 years, 5 months ago

BABBOY 2 years, 5 months ago

My mom, my dad, my wife, my kids. My dad died three years ago and I miss him.

I also admire Bill Clinton (that dude can talk himself out of any jam), Roy Williams (saved basketball at KU) and Bill Snyder (literally saved football at KSU and created the concept of a football program in the State of Kansas)

Politically, I admire no one current today. I defend Obama but frankly wish he would attack the conservatives. I basically want to fist fight all radical conservatives but jail prevents me from doing so.......

equalaccessprivacy 2 years, 5 months ago

I admire people who respect decent social boundaries,have their brains in gear, and do not judge or treat others differently based on offensive stereotypes--which means almost no one I have run into in KS.

somedude20 2 years, 5 months ago

Brian Cohen high up on the cross

Dixie Jones 2 years, 5 months ago

My 16 Year old Autistic son. He has far surpassed what KU med ever said he would be or do... We can learn so much from a person with a disability if we just give them the chance to teach us about thier world..you Rock KJ

labmonkey 2 years, 5 months ago

I admire those who go to the middle of bum-**** North Dakota for a job to support their families even though the living conditions are horrible and they are away from the ones they love for weeks at a time... as opposed to those protesting right now, blaming everyone but themselves for their current condition and not looking for a job to better their lot in life.

pace 2 years, 5 months ago

I admire the parents, who take care of their children, I admire people who try to keep their word. I like straight talkers. I admire people who can think and act beyond the immediate, I admire the people who show up for work and do their jobs.

Martin Luther King Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt, My Bob, President Obama, My neighbor kid, who is friendly, polite and thoughtful. He is good at practicing at the drums. Allen Ginsberg, Emily Dickinson, Benjamin Franklin, Major Baker at my old church. he was patient, kind and smart. Bill Hatke, original thinker and led a conscious life. I could go on and on, to wrap it up, I like doers that think.

rockchalker52 2 years, 5 months ago

Have thought this for a while, but it seemed irrelevant unti now and, for heaven's sake, we must stay on topic:

I admire beatrice from the great southwest. Have you ever checked out her online jousting with those with whom she disagrees? Concisely eloquent, it can cut you to the quick. One had best prepare thoroughly to debate with her.

beatrice/gandalf in 2012. Hey, I admire old horn dogs, too.

Cait McKnelly 2 years, 5 months ago

Carol. I look up to and admire anyone brave enough to admit they respect the office of the Presidency in the middle of this pack of wolves. But next time, honey, just tell them, "We survived Bush. You'll survive Obama."

Richard Payton 2 years, 5 months ago

The father, son and holy spirit!

My_Life 2 years, 5 months ago

Jesus high up on the cross.

beatrice 2 years, 5 months ago

I look up to people who are taller than me.

The_Original_Bob 2 years, 5 months ago

I just got my flu shot about 30 minutes ago. If I ever get lost the government will know how to find me. This could be beneficial for folks who get lost when landmarks are removed.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 2 years, 5 months ago

rockchalker, Re: deaf and dirty ears Try a 3% hydrogen peroxide solution to remove the wax and clean those deaf and dirty ears. You will be amazed at how much clearly you can hear and how much more vivid your sense of smell will become. We truly do breath through our ears.

rockchalker52 2 years, 5 months ago

Since ignaz' message has fallen woefully upon deaf & dirty ears, I opted for the injection. Not an admirer of the provider's technique. Made me roll up my sleeve so far that I got my eyeglasses caught in it. Then she poked me at the very top of my arm. She could've saved a lot of time & just stabbed me in the neck.

kernal 2 years, 5 months ago

The team who rescued the Chilean miners

Eveleyn Apoko who took Rush Limbaugh to task for another of his thoughtless remarks: http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/world/2011/10/23/intv-child-slave.cnn

Paul R Getto 2 years, 5 months ago

Lao Tzu: In particular Chapter 9. Good advice for us all. Fill your bowl to the brim and it will spill. Keep sharpening your knife and it will blunt. Chase after money and security and your heart will never unclench. Care about people's approval and you will be their prisoner. Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.

emaw 2 years, 5 months ago

I don't think Rebecca has heard the old saying about those who cant.

profound 2 years, 5 months ago

Eddie Haskell and Jethro Bodine and Rodeo

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 2 years, 5 months ago

"He sits down there at South Park and goes home on Sunday nights."- T_O_B

Maybe he is a "Desperate Housewives" junky, or maybe he likes "The Walking Dead"

All I know is that if everyone washed their hands like Ignaz Semmelweis tried to teach us, there would be no need to sell people on the needless injection of foreign bodies into their bloodstream to try to prevent them from getting influenza.

somedude20 2 years, 5 months ago

Since I have a mirrored ceiling, I guess I look up to myself (well, at certain times). Really, I look up to many of the Republicans in politics because they have this uncanny ability to sell the American people a bill of goods and make them happy about it. I mean really, these guys are able to feed their followers turds, and their followers are happy about it. Oy Vey! Eat em and smile!

The_Original_Bob 2 years, 5 months ago

""Jason Phoenix" - T_O_B

A brother of River and Wahhkeen?"

I dunno. He sits down there at South Park and goes home on Sunday nights. I guess one would call it Part-Time Occupying.

g_rock 2 years, 5 months ago

I look up to whoever made Angry Birds. Crack. Seriously.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 2 years, 5 months ago

"Jason Phoenix" - T_O_B

A brother of River and Wahhkeen?

jimjones 2 years, 5 months ago

Turner Gill...Oh, and Lew Perkins

I kill me

demonfury 2 years, 5 months ago

Loring Henderson, Dave Corliss, Aron Cromwell, and the group in South Park all for being perfect examples of what not to be. I thank them for teaching my kids how ignorance and liberal tunnel vision will get you nowhere.

Bill Lee 2 years, 5 months ago

Calder Pickett & Glenn Price.

lunacydetector 2 years, 5 months ago

oh carol, carol, carol.....it is 'His ability to create complex problems and issues to destroy our country.'

...not to be admired

rockchalker52 2 years, 5 months ago

I admire my daddy, my sister, my lovely wife & look up to anybody taller than five foot eight.

LadyJ 2 years, 5 months ago

The moon. I can't look at the sun long enough to see if I admire it. I do admire a beautiful sunrise or sunset also.

Roland Gunslinger 2 years, 5 months ago

Brig Gen Robin Olds - the man knew how to grow a mustache. It had had a dual purpose of increasing his troops morale while simultaneously giving the finger to the big wigs back in DC.

Wadde 2 years, 5 months ago

"The ascended Master Jesus" The great Iam The three-fold flame God the father and the son and the holyspirit.

Odeo 2 years, 5 months ago

ROE!! YES!. Excellent fire power. I - someone I know - Has one mothballed..........

RoeDapple 2 years, 5 months ago

My parents, of course. . All who have served in the military, past and present. . John Browning, Samuel Colt, Horace Smith, Daniel Wesson, Eugene Stoner, Mikhail Kalashnikov, Richard Gatling, John Garand, Paul and Wilhelm Mauser, Sir Hiram Maxim, John Taliaferro Thompson, Georg Luger, Christian Sharps.

Odeo 2 years, 5 months ago

Oh, Marcus. How thenthitive and passionate. Have you exthpressed these feelings. You MUTHST! I think "Clint" would love to hear it from you. - Best of luck.

Am going to have another Drink.....for you and Clint. But, more for me.....

RoeDapple 2 years, 5 months ago

teh cuzins jed and elly mae . . . clampett

Odeo 2 years, 5 months ago

Aut. Sorry, man. What is HWWNDWNBNND'eded?

Ok, just Clamp It, demmet!

Odeo 2 years, 5 months ago

My Dad. He would be in your answer, Gandalf.

riverdrifter 2 years, 5 months ago

Being an antiquarian: Abraham Lincoln. Crazy Horse.

ksrush 2 years, 5 months ago

I hope Carol is talking about the president of the center for science education

pure_republication 2 years, 5 months ago

Carol, The president does not problem solve! He creates problems not solve them.

I look to my friend, Maurice, a wise man.

autie 2 years, 5 months ago

HWMNBN'd. If not for him, I might be dead from the flu......and my Daddy. If not for my Daddy I might be dead from any number of things.