Previous   Next

Do you support wind energy in Kansas?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on October 19, 2011

Browse the archives

“I think it would be cool to have more. I like the way they look. ”

“Yes, it’s viable for creating energy. ”

“Yes. ”

“Yes. It brings jobs and is effective as a supplementary source of electricity. We might as well use the resource Kansas has.”

Comments

Centerville 2 years, 6 months ago

I have a little investment in natural gas, so I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to see wind turbines - as they are only yard art to cover for very expensive electric production....from natural gas.

kenny_powers 2 years, 6 months ago

Rest assured Kansas will always have strong winds from West to East because Missouri sucks

its_just_math 2 years, 6 months ago

I support not dying of heat exposure in the summer or hypothermia in the winter, so yes if wind or solar can be a viable alternative, I'm on board. But for several decades this idea has swirled around in the breeze, but now, all we have is nothing more than a stranglehold on conventional sources of power----mostly compliments of the hysterical environmental lobby and now more than ever, Obama and his radical minions. The EPA is in the driver's seat and everyone should be alarmed by that. Not to mention the eye-popping powers of FEMA.

Rara_Avis 2 years, 6 months ago

"Don't be overly concerned about the outward beauty that depends on jewelry, beautiful clothes, or hair arrangement. Be beautiful inside, in your hearts, with the lasting charm of a gentle and quiet spirit.

~ Ka Pôhaku

Rara_Avis 2 years, 6 months ago

Actually, 95% of the women I've dated for the past 22 years have been of a different race. It's in my blood. And really to me, there's only one race- The Human. Just ask Brudda Iz. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cAbHG...

Rara_Avis 2 years, 6 months ago

HoneyChild, where are you when I need you?

Rara_Avis 2 years, 6 months ago

Thanks, Roe. Actually, the skin color thing has never been an issue and hasn't really come up. I think it's a matter of percentages, which is soon gonna lead me to the 18th and Vine District in KCMO. Fantastic music and beautiful ebony women. Heaven on earth.

Cant_have_it_both_ways 2 years, 6 months ago

Occupy the windmills. I like them too, but if the government is putting any money into the farms then that is corporate welfare, but I guess that is ok because the liberals want it.

kristyj 2 years, 6 months ago

Did No Shave November start early this year? Not complaining or anything.

RoeDapple 2 years, 6 months ago

Somewhere in the former Soviet Union there is one ICBM left that is still functional. Most likely it is targeted to any defunct missile silo I would consider purchasing for use as a bunker.

rockchalker52 2 years, 6 months ago

Mea culpa, everybody knows you can't cook short ribs in the freezer.

profound 2 years, 6 months ago

I get your logic. That missle compound would be the prefect placed to store those D cell batteries to power your 3 bdrm townhouse. Wish I had a college education. Even high school as far as that goes.

g_rock 2 years, 6 months ago

I don't have think skin. I have fat skin from eating too much peanut butter.

RoeDapple 2 years, 6 months ago

Rara_Avis - On dating women of a different race. Smile. Talk. Compliment. Flirt. But don't make skin color the issue. You won't even step up to the plate, much less make it to first base. Scoring would only be a dream. A good friend told me to pass that on to you. She said if anybody would know she would.

Better hurry, Friday may be too late!

rockchalker52 2 years, 6 months ago

I loves me some peanut butter, but think it not befitting the status of last meal for rapture two-point-oh. Mebbe I'll get serious about cooking those beef short ribs in the freezer. Anybody know what the internal temperature should be?

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 2 years, 6 months ago

I bet some aflatoxin infected peanuts make it past a sleeping inspector. Kiss your liver goodbye.

RoeDapple 2 years, 6 months ago

When ShePrecedes does give up Lawrence I want to be the one who holds the door for her . . .

rockchalker52 2 years, 6 months ago

After a quick re-read, if one could harness the negativity from the holier-than-thou trolls on this comment board, it would run a small city. Note to the thick headed: Just a criticism, not observation.

g_rock 2 years, 6 months ago

Mister #1 looks a little windblown to me. Just an observation, not a criticism.

autie 2 years, 6 months ago

go rancid? that stuff has a shelf life of about 20 years.

RoeDapple 2 years, 6 months ago

Ah Geez, the Mrs bought into the peanut shortage scam. Now we have eight 3 lb. jars of Skippy that will go rancid before we use them up.Gotta admit though, if everybody falls for it there will definitely be a shortage and Wally World can justify raising the prices. On the other hand, I ended up with some Chinese made urban camo fleece pajama pants to bring in the EOW this Friday. Walmart meets all my needs . . .

ShePrecedes 2 years, 6 months ago

Energy is everywhere and it is free. It is out there in abundance.

I dream of a time when there are no more utility companies sucking The People dry of money, those to distribute what could and should be free to all.

Merely by living and breathing, we are entitled to access free energy.

I dream of a time when every household has a roof-top or tall pole turbine and generator of thier own, ones that remain off the grid.

Right now, our city council would like you to think they are progressive. But they are not. There are height restrictions in this city that stop the average person from living a green life. Meanwhile, these restrictions could and probably are violated daily by utility companies.

Yes, this is not an ideal community. This is not a green-oriented city.

And folks, I W I L L have my turbines, I will not give them up. I would rather give up Lawrence.

Agnostick 2 years, 6 months ago

Absolutely! I support all viable energy sources, especially wind and solar, two things of which we have an abundant supply.

Antonym 2 years, 6 months ago

After a quick re-read it seems this board is running well below the fourth grade level today.

Antonym 2 years, 6 months ago

If one could harness the hot air and methane from the B.S. on this comment board, it would run a small city. Note to the thin skinned: Just an observation, not criticism.

Rara_Avis 2 years, 6 months ago

I'm looking to get off the grid. I just can't cipher how many D cell batteries it would take to power a 3 bdrm townhouse. I have to save some of them to throw at the Chiefs this weekend.

1029 2 years, 6 months ago

No way! What is this--the 1800s? We have super advanced technology now.

LawrenceTownie 2 years, 6 months ago

I have always supported using renewable energy in place of burning coal or using nuke plants and storing the waste. I had seen the Iowa wind farms from a distance seven years ago and thought how much cleaner our country would be if we could just harness the wind on a super scale. Last week I drove to New Mexico by way of western Kansas and saw the wind farms up close. They were beautiful so I stopped to take pictures. THE WIND ABOUT KNOCKED ME DOWN. I am now convinced more than ever that we need more wind farms. I did not see any birds hit nor did I see any birds even flying around them. Birds are not that stupid, they will avoid moving objects. Occasionally they will be hit, just as they are by cars on the road. We need these farms on a super scale. There is not much else in western Kansas other than grazing cattle or pumping out water from the underground. Go see them up close, then make up your own mind.

prospector 2 years, 6 months ago

Yeah, like what's her name said, "Blow baby, blow"

/wink wink

The_Original_Bob 2 years, 6 months ago

Between this OTS question and the Ohio slaughter of escaped zoo animals, PETA is having a really bad day.

Mixolydian 2 years, 6 months ago

Absolutely yes.

Wind power, nuclear power, coal, natural gas, drilling on the grave of Bambi's mother in pristine Alaska, hamsters in a wheel.....anything and everything that would wean us off off foriegn oil imports.

RoeDapple 2 years, 6 months ago

How much methane can be produced from the average city's grass clippings?

RoeDapple 2 years, 6 months ago

Why is there no serious effort being made to develop hydrogen as the primary source for our energy needs? It is the most abundant flammable gas in the universe. is readily extracted from water and converts back to water when combined with oxygen on combustion. Do we have a need to exploit all limited energy sources first?

RoeDapple 2 years, 6 months ago

When wind is outlawed only outlaws will have wind.

RoeDapple 2 years, 6 months ago

I gotta go buy a new suit today for Friday's EOW event. I'm thinking maybe a three piece. In Woodland camo.

Keep your ammo dry . . .

Richard Heckler 2 years, 6 months ago

The other day I believe that what I was reading was stunning. Texas oil money is buying up the Flint Hills for wind energy. Sam Brownback is doing what?

T Boone Pickens has invested plenty in Texas wind farms. My guess is Texas wants to make money selling Kansas their wind energy while too many Kansans have been led to think wind energy is stupid and ugly.

Hmmmmmmmmm

autie 2 years, 6 months ago

Roed, Odeo....this is not North Korea or Venezuela. I heard North Korea was harnessing wind power for their missile program....with really big twisted up rubber bands and a propeller.

autie 2 years, 6 months ago

More mindless banter. I has something to say but you guys are just too weird.

Windmills making tricicity is cool. Just like the Dutch. We can make air polders. Or put a zombie on top of one and set it on fire just like in Frankenstein.

Odeo 2 years, 6 months ago

LJW. Question. Can you do more OTS questions at The Community Mercantile? I know, is easier to do it on Mass Street, but gas prices are down and it might make for a good exchange of ideas. And, who knows, you might get a "impossible" pick of Spacehog. Thoughts?

Odeo 2 years, 6 months ago

I think Nancy Grace knows how to make "wind" energy..Other that that..useless..

Odeo 2 years, 6 months ago

Sorry, I meant Bird Strike....

Odeo 2 years, 6 months ago

Bird Kill.. Happens, Man......

RoeDapple 2 years, 6 months ago

They say pieces of this flew over a farm house almost 2 miles away

RoeDapple 2 years, 6 months ago

Ever stood in the middle of a windmill energy farm? All those blades spinnin' and whoosh, whoosh, whooshin' around you? It's like the Twilight Zone . . . or a Ron Popiel commercial.

Odeo 2 years, 6 months ago

Sorry, Gandalf. I would comment but I think Lindsey or Miss Crump would:

To me.

RoeDapple 2 years, 6 months ago

I must have a "Hide Posts" button. Thuja says spacehog is one of the four that have taken over the OTS but I haven't seen a post from spacehog in months.

Odeo 2 years, 6 months ago

Positively. If we could harness, both the wind in Kansas, but also the breaking wind in the traveling vans that travel up on I-35 from our "neighboring" country (not to mention methane) we - Kansas could be a tax free state.

Gandalf 2 years, 6 months ago

2nd. Hell yes, but I bet the koch's hate the concept.

Odeo 2 years, 6 months ago

Hell, Yeah! Christ, look at the head on what wind energy can do. RIght?