Previous   Next

Do you support wind energy in Kansas?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on October 19, 2011

Browse the archives

“I think it would be cool to have more. I like the way they look. ”

“Yes, it’s viable for creating energy. ”

“Yes. ”

“Yes. It brings jobs and is effective as a supplementary source of electricity. We might as well use the resource Kansas has.”

Comments

RoeDapple 3 years, 9 months ago

I must have a "Hide Posts" button. Thuja says spacehog is one of the four that have taken over the OTS but I haven't seen a post from spacehog in months.

RoeDapple 3 years, 9 months ago

Ever stood in the middle of a windmill energy farm? All those blades spinnin' and whoosh, whoosh, whooshin' around you? It's like the Twilight Zone . . . or a Ron Popiel commercial.

RoeDapple 3 years, 9 months ago

They say pieces of this flew over a farm house almost 2 miles away

jaywalker 3 years, 9 months ago

You sure you're not thinking of the Acme corp. and CEO W.E. Coyote?

Richard Heckler 3 years, 9 months ago

The other day I believe that what I was reading was stunning. Texas oil money is buying up the Flint Hills for wind energy. Sam Brownback is doing what?

T Boone Pickens has invested plenty in Texas wind farms. My guess is Texas wants to make money selling Kansas their wind energy while too many Kansans have been led to think wind energy is stupid and ugly.

Hmmmmmmmmm

RoeDapple 3 years, 9 months ago

I gotta go buy a new suit today for Friday's EOW event. I'm thinking maybe a three piece. In Woodland camo.

Keep your ammo dry . . .

RoeDapple 3 years, 9 months ago

When wind is outlawed only outlaws will have wind.

RoeDapple 3 years, 9 months ago

Why is there no serious effort being made to develop hydrogen as the primary source for our energy needs? It is the most abundant flammable gas in the universe. is readily extracted from water and converts back to water when combined with oxygen on combustion. Do we have a need to exploit all limited energy sources first?

devobrun 3 years, 9 months ago

Energy from hydrogen comes in the form of chemical bonds. Like H2O, water. All...repeat, all hydrogen is locked up in chemical bonds. Any free hydrogen rises to the top of the atmosphere and bonds with ozone to become water.

In order to use hydrogen as a fuel, you must rip it away from another molecule. The energy required to do that is greater than the energy that you will get by recombining it.

Sorry roe, like windmills, it doesn't work.

RoeDapple 3 years, 9 months ago

How much methane can be produced from the average city's grass clippings?

Mixolydian 3 years, 9 months ago

Absolutely yes.

Wind power, nuclear power, coal, natural gas, drilling on the grave of Bambi's mother in pristine Alaska, hamsters in a wheel.....anything and everything that would wean us off off foriegn oil imports.

LawrenceTownie 3 years, 9 months ago

I have always supported using renewable energy in place of burning coal or using nuke plants and storing the waste. I had seen the Iowa wind farms from a distance seven years ago and thought how much cleaner our country would be if we could just harness the wind on a super scale. Last week I drove to New Mexico by way of western Kansas and saw the wind farms up close. They were beautiful so I stopped to take pictures. THE WIND ABOUT KNOCKED ME DOWN. I am now convinced more than ever that we need more wind farms. I did not see any birds hit nor did I see any birds even flying around them. Birds are not that stupid, they will avoid moving objects. Occasionally they will be hit, just as they are by cars on the road. We need these farms on a super scale. There is not much else in western Kansas other than grazing cattle or pumping out water from the underground. Go see them up close, then make up your own mind.

pace 3 years, 9 months ago

I agree with you about the beauty of the wind farms. I think we should invest in them. We are pretending oil is cheap and will stay that way, while our pocketbooks and history tell us different. The environmental cost of cheap coal is picked up, not by the industries but by the neighbors and will cost us for generations. . I don't agree birds are smart enough not to be hit by the blades. I think there will be bird loss, might reduce over the years but I don't know. One of the positive things is wind energy is a regional, low impact on the environment ,energy source. We are more vulnerable as communities to leave our energy source to one mega supplier We need to conserve and diversify our energy.

1029 3 years, 9 months ago

No way! What is this--the 1800s? We have super advanced technology now.

RoeDapple 3 years, 9 months ago

Ah Geez, the Mrs bought into the peanut shortage scam. Now we have eight 3 lb. jars of Skippy that will go rancid before we use them up.Gotta admit though, if everybody falls for it there will definitely be a shortage and Wally World can justify raising the prices. On the other hand, I ended up with some Chinese made urban camo fleece pajama pants to bring in the EOW this Friday. Walmart meets all my needs . . .

LadyJ 3 years, 9 months ago

Peanut butter cookies, yeah. Best straight from the oven.

rockchalker52 3 years, 9 months ago

After a quick re-read, if one could harness the negativity from the holier-than-thou trolls on this comment board, it would run a small city. Note to the thick headed: Just a criticism, not observation.

RoeDapple 3 years, 9 months ago

When ShePrecedes does give up Lawrence I want to be the one who holds the door for her . . .

rockchalker52 3 years, 9 months ago

I loves me some peanut butter, but think it not befitting the status of last meal for rapture two-point-oh. Mebbe I'll get serious about cooking those beef short ribs in the freezer. Anybody know what the internal temperature should be?

RoeDapple 3 years, 9 months ago

Rara_Avis - On dating women of a different race. Smile. Talk. Compliment. Flirt. But don't make skin color the issue. You won't even step up to the plate, much less make it to first base. Scoring would only be a dream. A good friend told me to pass that on to you. She said if anybody would know she would.

Better hurry, Friday may be too late!

rockchalker52 3 years, 9 months ago

Mea culpa, everybody knows you can't cook short ribs in the freezer.

RoeDapple 3 years, 9 months ago

Somewhere in the former Soviet Union there is one ICBM left that is still functional. Most likely it is targeted to any defunct missile silo I would consider purchasing for use as a bunker.

kristyj 3 years, 9 months ago

Did No Shave November start early this year? Not complaining or anything.

Cant_have_it_both_ways 3 years, 9 months ago

Occupy the windmills. I like them too, but if the government is putting any money into the farms then that is corporate welfare, but I guess that is ok because the liberals want it.

kenny_powers 3 years, 9 months ago

Rest assured Kansas will always have strong winds from West to East because Missouri sucks

Centerville 3 years, 9 months ago

I have a little investment in natural gas, so I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to see wind turbines - as they are only yard art to cover for very expensive electric production....from natural gas.