Previous   Next

Do you ever eat locally grown or produced food?

Asked at Asked on Massachusetts Street on October 18, 2011

Browse the archives

“Yes, and we have our own garden, too. You know what you’re getting, it tastes better and is cheaper. ”

“I eat at 715, which I know uses some local ingredients. It’s awesome. ”

“I do, at least two or three times a week. It’s good for the environment and tastes good, too. ”

“I try to — I order meat from a local farm, at least. I’d like to avoid as many hormones as possible.”

Comments

rockchalk1977 2 years, 6 months ago

While hard-working Americans have Hamburger Helper on their dinner menus, OWS fleabaggers are “roughing it” in Lower Manhattan are dining nightly on gourmet meals prepared by a former hotel chef. Chef Eric Smith prepares nightly meals for more than 1,000 protesters, using only the finest organic ingredients. On Tuesday night the menu included:

Free-range organic chicken and root vegetables seasoned with fresh flatleaf parsley, rosemary and thyme.

Roasted beet salad with tome bergere sheep-milk cheese and an Argentinian chimmichurri sauce of garlic, vinegar, red onion, lemon juice, and herbs.

Pasta Bolognese with grass-fed beef.

Vegetarian penne pasta with tomato marinara and fresh basil.

Wild heirloom potato salad.

For dessert: Mixed nuts with banana chips from a grain co-op in Ithaca, N.Y.

Mixed nuts seem appropriate :-)

kernal 2 years, 6 months ago

I don't know how anyone could prefer a mealy, gassed and tasteless tomato shipped from California over a locally grown fresh tomato. Unless... are you're taste buds dead?

Some of the cherry tomatoes at the farmers market, and some of the CSA's, are the best they've been all summer the past few weeks. Sorry to see most of that coming to an end after this week's freeze.

Odeo 2 years, 6 months ago

Nailed it, Aut.

"More mindless banter? Yes, Odeo, when the police get up and get to work...that one will go. Apparently they don't work like Whitley did 24/7......Keeping the world safe from the evil words of the sketchy listers.."

They will never catch us, all....

Stuart Sweeney 2 years, 6 months ago

My garden produce, beef I raise, deer I shoot, roadkill I run over yes I guess you could call that local!

faceit 2 years, 6 months ago

less of a carbon footprint created since there's less transportation involved

moot 2 years, 6 months ago

what is the big deal with locally grown food? all food was grown somewhere. food is food. soil is soil. organic is a lie.

rockchalker52 2 years, 6 months ago

Yah, I eat the local food when I can.

Methinks, with 1500+ posts, that thuja is suffering from pot/kettle syndrome. The posters that he mentioned are half the reason I boot up this here 'pooter system every day. Well, maybe not odeo cuz I don't understand his shtick most of the time. I hope he post even more, though, cuz mebbe I'll figure it out. Besides, somebody has to keep giving Alex' button pushing finger a workout.

Rara_Avis 2 years, 6 months ago

I recently planted some legumes in a large pile of dog manure in the back yard. I'm anxiously awaiting their arrival, mainly because I have no idea what a legume is.

RoeDapple 2 years, 6 months ago

I am genetically modified. 200 years ago I most likely would have been 8 inches shorter, my teeth would have been gone by age 30 and I would never have made it to my present age. And my lawn mower would have had hooves.

autie 2 years, 6 months ago

All of our food is genetically modified merrill. Get over it. Go find a "pure" strain of anything that hasn't been tampered with by man. Cereal grains/livestock/produce....all of it is the result of selected breeding and cross pollenated man controlled...modification of the genetics. What the hell is your scary sky is falling GMO stuff gonna do, make me grow a third ear? Leave it all alone and it will revert to the pre hybridized/modified state anyway.

Flap Doodle 2 years, 6 months ago

Label planet-killing two-cycle lawnmowers as being planet-killing planet-killers! (from a source)

pace 2 years, 6 months ago

I have a small herb garden and yes it saves me money and I love my pesto. My tomato plants were full of promise but very disappointing. I went on several NLawrence hunts for home tomatoes this summer. Not a good summer for tomatoes. I read all the nasty comments about local produce and think they have lost their mind. Local tomatoes, fresh vegetables, real chicken over the weird flabby cheap chicken meat . If you haven't eaten home grown tomatoes and preferred them over the shipped, your mama raised you wrong.

RoeDapple 2 years, 6 months ago

My tap water is siphoned from a local well near the Kansas River. It is downstream from Topeka though, could explain the taste . . .

Richard Heckler 2 years, 6 months ago

10/18/11

Does your food contain GMOs? Incredibly, we really don't know.

An estimated 80% of processed foods sold in the U.S. contain genetically modified organisms. Yet GMO foods are totally unlabeled.

For the past 20 years, Americans have been denied their basic right to know because of a flawed regulatory system that has relied on corporate science without adequate peer-reviewed testing and scientific oversight.

It's time for that to change.

Tell the FDA: Label GMO foods!

Already more than 40 countries around the world require labeling of foods that contain GMOs. While Americans who live in the "land of the free" have no idea what's in our food, citizens in Australia, Brazil, the European Union, Japan, Russian and even China have the legal right to know.

A recent poll shows that 93% of Americans support mandatory labeling of GMOs.

Even President Obama has said he is in favor of labeling GMOs. In a 2007 campaign speech he promised to "let folks know whether their food has been genetically modified because Americans should know what they're buying." But he hasn't done it.

Last week the Center for Food Safety filed a petition with the FDA, and now more than 400 businesses, co-ops and organizations are calling on the FDA to immediately implement mandatory labeling of genetically modified foods.

Rara_Avis 2 years, 6 months ago

Wow! Even at 70, Uncle Bob is shuckin' and jivin' more than ever. Not even hiding behind a guitar. I'm still pissed he didn't come here this year. I can't even decipher what he's singing. That's part of the beauty of it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0_da2...

Rara_Avis 2 years, 6 months ago

I'm still carrying that damn torch. Can someone please give me some tips on dating black women? Here's my point. If you get bored, cut to 3:55. I'm begging. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7w8k1...

FlintlockRifle 2 years, 6 months ago

Yes was out "local shopping"""" last weekend, found the local tinber had a special on gray squirrels, as for the gravey and bisquets, Hy-Vee did there part, yep the LOCAL HY-VEE

Richard Heckler 2 years, 6 months ago

many local economies are languishing not because too little cash comes in, but as a result of what happens to that money. "Money is like blood. It needs to keep moving around to keep the economy going," he says, noting that when money is spent elsewhere—at big supermarkets, non-locally owned utilities and other services such as on-line retailers—"it flows out, like a wound."

By shopping at the corner store instead of the big box, consumers keep their communities from becoming what the NEF calls "ghost towns" (areas devoid of neighborhood shops and services) or "clone towns", where Main Street now looks like every other Main Street with the same fast-food and retail chains.

According to Susan Witt, Executive Director of the E.F. Schumacher Society, "buy local" campaigns serve another function: alerting a community about gaps in the local market. For instance, if consumers keep turning to on-line or big-box stores for a particular product—say, socks—this signals an opportunity for someone local to make and sell socks.

This is the way product innovations get made, says Witt. "The local producer adds creative elements that make either the product or materials used more appropriate to the place." For example, an area where sheep are raised might make lambs wool socks and other goods.

The point is not that communities should suddenly seek to be self-sufficient in all ways, but rather, says Boyle, "to shift the balance. Can you produce more locally? Of course you can if the raw materials are there, and the raw materials are often human beings."

My_Life 2 years, 6 months ago

WWJE Friday? The confessionals will be full this week. Better go get in line right away.

RoeDapple 2 years, 6 months ago

autie - if every day you predict rain for tomorrow, eventually you will be right. Harold is 90 years old. Eventually he will be right. At least for himself.

RoeDapple 2 years, 6 months ago

Walmart is the 18th largest corporation in the world but is considered local in Bentonville.

RoeDapple 2 years, 6 months ago

What is proper attire for an EOW event?

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 2 years, 6 months ago

The term "goat fornicator" (when used in reference to the hippie pinko commie left) is political speech. Its use has been allowed on LJWorld.com for quite some time.

g_rock 2 years, 6 months ago

They don't make oysters in Kansas. I only eat them on vacay. Shrimps too. Sometimes my beer is local. But right now I'm really into Landshark which is local to elsewhere. They don't grow coffee beans in Kansas. Real bourbon isn't local to here either. I get veggies from my parent's garden but they live north of Topeka.

autie 2 years, 6 months ago

So now I am reminded that Friday is the end of the world......again. At least probably. Harold says it might happend. Then again it might not. If it does not happen this time, maybe we can set a new date....like April 21, 2012. Then we can shoot for the big one in december next year. The Mayans can't be wrong can they? They friggin went extinct and their culture evaporated into the jungle but by golly they were some astronomer type individuals.

somedude20 2 years, 6 months ago

somedude20 2 years, 6 months ago

Yes I do when eating at the great Dempsy's. I also try and smoke locally grown herbs for better health! I drink locally and I even pee locally.

My_Life 2 years, 6 months ago

I've been told to go away. It was rude, but at the same time very inspirational. Does home grown shrooms count? Indyan has a green thumb. His sister tribes in South America recycle theirs.

RoeDapple 2 years, 6 months ago

Walmart is much more local now that there is one on my side of town.

Lowe's! Build it and I will co . . . shop there!

Richard Heckler 2 years, 6 months ago

Love that local organic tofu produced from local organic soybeans mixed with plenty of local veggies...... now we're talking fun and YUMO!

One local producers delivers door to door with a bicycle,some folks grow a bit too much so sharing is a nice feature plus a few purchases at the market and the Merc keeps things moving right along. The market has some beautiful local leafy greens and bell peppers etc etc etc.

Meanwhile: Buying Local: How It Boosts the Economy Buying close to home may be more than a feel-good, it's-worth-paying-more-for-local matter. A number of researchers and organizations are taking a closer look at how money flows, and what they're finding shows the profound economic impact of keeping money in town—and how the fate of many communities around the nation and the world increasingly depend on it.

At the most basic level, when you buy local more money stays in the community. The New Economics Foundation ..... http://www.time.com/time/business/article/0,8599,1903632,00.html

The_Original_Bob 2 years, 6 months ago

Babboy - What kind of law do you practice?

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 2 years, 6 months ago

"but ya know, it tastes the same..." - Babboy

Herman Cain said the same damn thing... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZMpeD...

BABBOY 2 years, 6 months ago

Oh, this trying to find local food is an not an issue I am going to waste any time on. Sure, I will go to the Farmers Market from time to time, but ya know, it tastes the same......

RoeDapple 2 years, 6 months ago

I seldom read posts by smitty, merrill or bozo but have no problem with them posting anything. If I am offended by anyone's post I hit "suggest removal". If it's good enough for LJW it stays, if not it is deleted.

"I'm not here to make friends"

Always glad to see you Thuja! You too hitme!

Rara_Avis 2 years, 6 months ago

1. Put William Inge on the list. The guy won an oscar. Autie?

RoeDapple 2 years, 6 months ago

Goats? I'm glad no one is making me read this . . .

The_Original_Bob 2 years, 6 months ago

"D. Let goats do what they will do."

Fornicate?

prospector 2 years, 6 months ago

""I occupied somewhere this morning, and I am making 2 distinct demands. A. Remove John Brown from the "25 Notable Kansan" list. 2.) I want a toilet seat warmer." RI III - Eliminate threads." Bob D. Let goats do what they will do.

The_Original_Bob 2 years, 6 months ago

prospector 2 years, 6 months ago

Everyday I am local. So if I lived in St Louis and drank Budweiser, would I answer yes?

RoeDapple 2 years, 6 months ago

Anybody else sampled the local "whines"?

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 2 years, 6 months ago

thuja 2 years, 6 months ago

"A 'Hide Posts' option would be nice." -hitme

I agree. This used to be fun before autie, Roe, Odeo, & "spacehog" took it over. Don't get me wrong, I think you all have a good sense of humor, but little is fun, too much is too much.

You can say no one is making me read this, but no one is asking you to post all day, either.

I'm not here to make friends. That's why I'm anonymous.

autie 2 years, 6 months ago

you can always just "unplug"...

hitme 2 years, 6 months ago

A 'Hide Posts' option would be nice.

RoeDapple 2 years, 6 months ago

We've stocked the freezer with beef and pork raised by the inlaws, venison from the local forests and fish from local lakes and streams. Still haven't tried coyote though . . .

RoeDapple 2 years, 6 months ago

One thing though, if the doorbell rings late at night and all you find is a burning paper bag on the front step, don't try to stomp out the flames. And don't try to smother the flames with the Mrs. new leather coat either. They tend to not forget those precious moments . . .

RoeDapple 2 years, 6 months ago

Heck yes I eat locally grown! My own garden every year, plus exchange with the neighbors. Hey it's nothing to open the door in the summer to find bags of squash, cucumbers, sweet corn, etc dropped off by one of the nice farm families around here. We do the same when there is a surplus. In the past I have raised chickens for meat and eggs too.

RoeDapple 2 years, 6 months ago

No offense taken Odeo! Hey, you are what you eat! (I must be a twinkie and a bag of cheese doodles)

Odeo 2 years, 6 months ago

I guess I would rather eat a locally dropped road apple - (Sorry, RoeD, nothing personal) than eat anything from this "Stink." - They hang out at the "MerK."

Odeo 2 years, 6 months ago

Inside the "MerK"...

Can you find the one wearing "clogs?"

Rara_Avis 2 years, 6 months ago

I always know what I'm getting. It says so right on the can; A-S-P-A-R-A-G-U-S. Canned is best. Aged and fermented, like a fine wine. And if you're really curious, you can also read the ingredients. I think the FAA makes them do that.

Odeo 2 years, 6 months ago

And, yes. Have produced food, a 14 year old son, for this current and ongoing nation to steal from and eat him up. It is a good thing that I taught him how to run like hell! He plays forward in soccer.

Odeo 2 years, 6 months ago

Rara_Avis 2 years, 6 months ago

Absolutely. There's a wonderful section inside Dillon's called Produce. You wouldn't believe the selection of tasty fruits and vegetables. And sometimes I grab a delectable bag of salad at HyVee. It's called Dole, aptly named after a true Kansan, Bob Dole.