Previous   Next

Do you miss the rain?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on October 8, 2011

Browse the archives

“I have noticed because that’s how I wash my car.”

“Weather doesn’t really affect my attitude until it gets cold.”

“I haven’t really noticed.”

“I miss it a lot. I love rainy days.”

Comments

riverdrifter 3 years, 2 months ago

Yeah, the joint needs a scrubdown. How nice a downpour would be. Not in the forseeable future by most all the weather 4casts...

Bill Lee 3 years, 2 months ago

My tomato crop was dismal this year because of the lack of rain. I tried to hand water, but I obviously didn't do it very well. I enjoy both gentle rains and thunderstorms. The one thing I have enjoyed about the lack of rain is that I've been able to keep the top down on my Miata.

RoeDapple 3 years, 2 months ago

If that's what's causing my sinuses to explode then assbolutely I misses it!

Richard Heckler 3 years, 2 months ago

Notice the trees dropping leaves not because of frost?

Yep pollution has killed the protective barrier known as the ozone layer which brings us Global Warming that which impacts rainfall,snowfall,temperature,storms,perhaps skin cancer,wind and drought. And maybe the way tomatoes grow.

As it is the sun is very very hot bearing down on life on earth.

The stratospheric or "good" ozone layer extends upward from about 10 to 30 miles and protects life on earth from the sun's harmful ultraviolet rays (UV-b). http://www.policyalmanac.org/environment/archive/ozone.shtml

Can the good ozone layer be repaired? It will take about 60 years so I read AFTER it gets a break from extraordinary human contributions of pollution.

wmathews 3 years, 2 months ago

My hair never misses the rain.

Yes, my hair has feelings.

rockchalker52 3 years, 2 months ago

Well if Flux rules, it's gonna get chaotic fer sure. Just ask Roe.

riverdrifter 3 years, 2 months ago

I wouldn't smoke a pork sirloin. It is way too lean even with brining. Better with the quicker cooking style. Anyway, ~160 degrees.

rockchalker52 3 years, 2 months ago

Things are gonna catch on fire iffin' it don't rain soon. And speaking of that, are there any hipper versions of this tune? James always leaves me feeling like I ate too many Three Musketeer bars.

rockchalker52 3 years, 2 months ago

Hell yeah I miss the rain...we're in a drought dip weed. Oklahoma State Cowboys: 58 Kansas Jaywalks: 23 It's a cycle, you dilrods. In the early 70's everyone was freaked out about global cooling. Get over it, we're not that great.
Flux . . . drools . . .

I just plagiarized an entire post. Apparently I'm still not a criminal. Pretty good stuff, too! Sweet! This'll be much easier.

Deja Coffin 3 years, 2 months ago

I do miss the rain very much but I don't miss the lightening. I have an irrational fear of lightening that when getting out of the car in a storm, causes me to hunch down and run frantically to the door as if I can actually outrun the potential lightening strike. And of course there's always that one loud boom that goes off as I'm halfway to the door that causes me to yelp, get a sudden boost of speed, and drop half my groceries the rest of the way to the house. At last my husband gets a good chuckle out of it.

Deja Coffin 3 years, 2 months ago

well if you read my posts you'll find plenty of misspelled words and improper usage. Can I just blame it on my Eudora education? :-) Unless there is a red line under the word I wrote then (or is it than) it looks good enough for me!

Deja Coffin 3 years, 2 months ago

You're fine. I can't get too mad about the truth. I am definitely hoping for the rain to come this way even though it might interfere with an upcoming trip to the Renaissance Festival. And yes, I did have to use spell check on Renaissance. :-)

Deja Coffin 3 years, 2 months ago

That looks really good. Do you know when it will be showing? It might be a good date night movie. I'm just worried I might find out I have a little too much in common with the main character.

Richard Heckler 3 years, 2 months ago

Color can change as result of less sunlight as the days grow shorter.

Mild frost kills leaves but not stems. Severe frosts kill emergent stems but not submerged or buried parts.

Meanwhile...

How does frost kill plants?

The leaves and buds of a plant are fed by sap. The sap is liquid carried up from the damp ground below. It runs through the whole plant in a network of veins. The veins of a leaf are full of liquid sap„ There is also moisture in the cells of the leaf.

Frosty weather turns liquid water into solid ice. And solid ice takes up more space than the liquid from which it was frozen. Frosty weather will sometimes freeze the water in the bathroom pipes. When this happens. the ice may break the solid metal pipes. The liquid water expanded as it froze.

Imagine what happens to the fragile veins of a leaf. The temperature drops to 32 degrees Fahrenheit. The liquid sap becomes solids maybe full of sharp slivers of ice. The delicate veins are torn asunder and ruptured. Never again can they carry the sap in an unbroken stream to the cells and tissues. When the frozen sap melts the broken plant tissues wilt and perish.

TopJayhawk 3 years, 2 months ago

Where do you get these idiot questions?