Previous   Next

Do you think people share too much information or opinion online?

Asked at Dillons, 4701 West 6th St. on November 28, 2011

Browse the archives

“Yes, way too much. And it might harm them later.”

“Yes — your dirty laundry, family or personal stuff shouldn’t be shared. But opinions are good. I’m not against sharing opinions. ”

“I’m not against free speech, but younger people frequently don’t understand the full future consequences of what they put online.”

“No. The purpose of social networks is to gain relationships and contacts through the sites. And people value the opportunity to be anonymous.”

Terry Sexton 3 years, 12 months ago

You're asking LJWorld commenters if people share too much opinion on line? Anybody that sez yes is a real peach.

Beatrice, the world's most interesting woman (from a source) once said, "The free exchange of opinions is a form of raising awareness." That's why I support Beatrice/Gandalf for 2012

labmonkey 3 years, 12 months ago

I strongly believe that Bunnyfield is a hilarious last name.

riverdrifter 3 years, 12 months ago

I don't do FB nor Twitter nor not much else. Catch me if you can and if you do -I'm somebody else. Er, what monkey said...

Loki 3 years, 12 months ago

Alway interesting when you ask in stores to see what aisle the people are in. You should ask and snap a picture in he condom section!

RoeDapple 3 years, 12 months ago

Hmmm. . . They never really discussed this at the witness protection meetings.

But then, you don't believe everything I say . . do you?

Ron Holzwarth 3 years, 12 months ago

You were very convincing in person, but I suppose from now on I'll have to be more suspicious.

Ron Holzwarth 3 years, 12 months ago

The question posed was: "Do you think people share too much information or opinion online?"

On the subject of posting information online, in many cases here on the website, it really doesn't matter because so many hide under the moniker "anonymous". So unless you know the person personally, or know the people that are being discussed, it really doesn't matter.

The case is quite different for those who use their real name when posting online. I have been rather surprised to find things I had posted years before still availabe on the web. Fortunately none are really terrible, but some reveal quite a lot about my personal life. Years ago, I didn't really realize the permanence of many postings I had made.

Plus, there was one case where I privately emailed something to someone, and then that person responded by immediately posting it for the whole world to see on a blog, complete with my real name. Oh well, live and learn.

And so, about too much information: It all depends upon what your agenda is. Some have an agenda in mind that might not be at all obvious to others, in which case it's entirely up to the person themselves about what to post.

About posting opinions online, it depends upon whether you are posting under "anonymous". Of course in that case, your opinions are not at all likely to be taken seriously anyway. Why pay any attention to someone who is not willing to divulge their identity?

So, it's all your own personal decision about what to post online. Although it is not at all likely that this will happen without your approval, the Associated Press might pick up an article that discusses an aspect of your personal life.

In which case - your dirty laundry is all over the country in newspapers, on the radio, and on television within 24 hours!

Again, it all depends upon what your agenda is.

Bill Lee 3 years, 12 months ago

Some do, some don't. It's not something I worry about.

Flap Doodle 3 years, 12 months ago

Considering the behavior of certain disappearededed posters, I will not post under my own name on this award-winning website. woof

Terry Sexton 3 years, 12 months ago

R_I, I will gladly pay you 79 cents. Just pm the answer to me. Paypal ok?

Ron Holzwarth 3 years, 12 months ago

How long does it take for the little green pill to start working? And, does it make the goblins go away too?

somedude20 3 years, 12 months ago

I like it when women share pictures of themselves while wearing the emperor's new clothing.

Gaba Gaba Hey!

Terry Sexton 3 years, 12 months ago

Is there an upside to an American Express card? A lot of places don't take it. At least that's what Visa sez, but it could just be their opinion.

If you take an Amex traveler's check, make sure it's not Canadian. They look the same.

billbodiggens 3 years, 12 months ago

The answer to the question set forth in the article is all of the above comments - Q.E.D.

beatrice 3 years, 12 months ago

Too much information? Yes. Too much opinion? No. Too much opinion about information? Maybe.

RoeDapple 3 years, 12 months ago

Yeah we can. Just leave my trannys out of it

RoeDapple 3 years, 12 months ago

Did I tell you I lost my rear end once?

RoeDapple 3 years, 12 months ago

Currently the worst I have to deal with is a plugged injector.