Previous   Next

Do you enjoy listening to holiday music?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on November 26, 2011

Browse the archives

“I don’t really care for holiday music — I can get tired of it after a while.”

“Yes.”

“Absolutely. I get excited. ”

“I enjoy listening every so often. My mom listens 24/7; I can’t do that.”

Comments

pace 2 years, 9 months ago

I love holiday music, I find it complex, simple, lovely, trashy, spiritual, sweet, cheerful, sad, historic, modern. Everyone shines in their holiday songs.

classclown 2 years, 9 months ago

Do you enjoy listening to holiday music? Asked at Asked on Massachusetts Street on November 26, 2011

======================================

Where is Asked on Massachusetts Street?

Is it a store? If so, what kind of store is it?

Is it a special booth where they ask all the questions they ask on Massachusetts street?

Is the booth like the one in that Ford commercial where a mirrored box opens up and a reporter jumps out and asks startled passersby a question?

alex_garrison 2 years, 9 months ago

Whoops. That was a typo; I've fixed it so it reads as it should.

Rae Hudspeth 2 years, 9 months ago

POGUES!!

My fave holiday music is an old cassette tape called "Christmas On The Border" and my fave songs are http://youtu.be/rUq14qbhksc Elvis: Santa Claus is Back In Town

and along the lines of the Pogues, Dwight Yoakam did this awesome song, Santa Can't Stay http://youtu.be/vrOsJvS7c_8

BMI 2 years, 9 months ago

Bing, White Christmas album

RoeDapple 2 years, 9 months ago

A little goes a long way . . .

Flap Doodle 2 years, 9 months ago

I feel like driving nails through my eardrums whenever I walk into a store playing overproduced hack versions of Christmas music.

labmonkey 2 years, 9 months ago

I only like one Christmas song (Oh Holy Night), and I do not want to hear it until December 24. Otherwise, I want to throw a hammer at the TV every there is a commercial with The Nutcracker Ballet in the background.

Cait McKnelly 2 years, 9 months ago

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHioIl... One of the best pieces of Christmas music ever made. Timeless. TSO rocks. This is the "official" video so you'll have to live through an advertisement first. But it's worth the high quality.

Cait McKnelly 2 years, 9 months ago

Beautiful! One of my all time favorites is along the same lines: Jackson Browne's "Rebel Jesus". http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEC7d5... As an aside, not Christmas related, I shared this with my 18 year old son: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0iuax... First words out of his mouth were, "It's STYX!" I told him, "No, this is what Styx wishes they could have been."

Cait McKnelly 2 years, 9 months ago

Do you ever wonder if TSO took cues from Mannheim Steamroller? There are some huge differences (primarily the fact that MS is all of two guys whereas TSO is a an actual, you know, orchestra). I got into MS almost 30 years ago before they ever started doing "Christmas music". Now it seems that's all they are known for. Sad. I really hope the same thing doesn't happen to TSO but I'm afraid it's too late.

Richard Payton 2 years, 9 months ago

Does the Rock Chalk chant count as Holiday music? If it does count as holiday music, I never get tired of it.

labmonkey 2 years, 9 months ago

Although I grow tired of your preaching, I almost agree with you. The only ones I can stand are the religious ones. Jingle Bells, the Santa songs, and the Nutcracker Ballet especially can all go to and rot in hell.

Cait McKnelly 2 years, 9 months ago

The Nutcracker, in and of itself, is not a bad piece of music. After all, it was written by the same man who wrote the "!812 Overture". It's just been overdone to death. The fact remains, though, that Tchaikovsky, himself, hated it.

Christine Anderson 2 years, 9 months ago

I like Christmas music, but I refuse to listen to it until about Dec. 15th. The whole reason radio stations start with it Nov.1st. is to get us to buy, buy, buy. The commercialism of it makes me ill. Besides, it should be illegal to play it when there is no snow on the ground!

rockchalker52 2 years, 9 months ago

Holiday music always makes me think of this sequence from a Dick Van Dyke episode:

countrygirl 2 years, 9 months ago

Hard to be in a bad mood when you hear the hippotamus song! But aside from that I can only take it in short doses until very close to Christmas.

Loki 2 years, 9 months ago

I listen to Pink Floyd's Money. Gets me in the mood to celebrate the holiday of excessive materialism that everyone celebrates while whinning to put the Christ back in Christmas.

purplesage 2 years, 9 months ago

Christmas music - yes. That holiday stuff, falalala etc. not so much.