Previous   Next

What is one of your favorite world records?

Asked at Dillons, 1015 West 23rd St. on November 18, 2011

Browse the archives

“There is a guy who can hold four liters of water in his stomach.”

“I saw there is a guy who did the worm dance the longest.”

“The record for the world’s longest fingernails.”

“I tend to like the ones with an athletic component, such as the record for most flips in a row a skateboard.”

Comments

riverdrifter 2 years, 11 months ago

Apa Sherpa has summited Mt. Everest a world record 19 times. Amazing. He has gone by a lot of bodies of people who tried to do it just once.

Pitt_Mackeson 2 years, 11 months ago

Turner Gill holds the record for worst play decisions. Nah I take that back that's mean I really do like the guy. One more year!

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 11 months ago

The world record for the shortest time period between the first eye contact and,,,

RoeDapple 2 years, 11 months ago

In 2009 Craig Harrison, a sniper in the British Army, fired three consecutive shots using an Accuracy International L115A3 Long Range Rifle chambered in .338 Lapua Magnum taking out two Taliban AND the machine gun they were operating. This from 2.47 kilometers (8120 ft.).

That there is some impressive shootin'

RoeDapple 2 years, 11 months ago

William Coe drove 3,001,276 accident free miles in a commercial truck as of March 14,2009.

That there is some impressive drivin'

RoeDapple 2 years, 11 months ago

Starting on June 20,1970 and finishing on October 5,1974, Dave Kunst walked 14,450 miles crossing four continents and thirteen countries, wearing out 21 pair of shoes, and walking more than 20 million steps.

That there is some impressive walkin'

labmonkey 2 years, 11 months ago

Most comments on a blog post... too bad it doesn't officially exist.

rockchalker52 2 years, 11 months ago

We tried to set a record in HS by seeing how many guys we could stack in a bathtub. Did it during a pep rally assembly in the gym. Enough of us piled on to make one of the claw feet break & we all came spilling out as the tub put a big dent in the floor.

RoeDapple 2 years, 11 months ago

I left a burn-out mark with my old '50 Plymouth over 1/4 mile long back in '65. Got the right rear spinnin' off the line then rode the brakes to keep it going. The tire got so hot the porta-wall stuck to it. Yeah . . . real proud of that one . . .

KSWingman 2 years, 11 months ago

"Next time I tried it I blew the tranny. Chunks of gears and tranny grease all over the highway. Used trannys were $50 at Kaw Motors back then . . ."

That meant something completely different in 1965, than it means today.

Just sayin'

rockchalker52 2 years, 11 months ago

"Used trannys were $50 at Kaw Motors back then . . ."

Gee, I dunno.

somedude20 2 years, 11 months ago

World records are for wimps! Try competing for a Universe record against the Vogons.

RoeDapple 2 years, 11 months ago

Lignum Vitae. 20 times harder than oak.

Does this somehow tie into autie's ED post?

RoeDapple 2 years, 11 months ago

Hmmm . . . Well gay doesn't mean what it used to either . . .

RoeDapple 2 years, 11 months ago

Mrs Roe say it looks like a bunch of seventh graders on here . . maybe eighth. Sure am glad she isn't signed on as a poster . . .

RoeDapple 2 years, 11 months ago

Well I know who she isn't . . I think . .

Could explain some of the mood swings though . . .

RoeDapple 2 years, 11 months ago

Regis Philbin holds the Guinness World Record for the most time spent in front of a television camera.

riverdrifter 2 years, 11 months ago

Highest wind gust ever recorded (so far) today: 32 mph @ 0933 and still coming up. The rut may be at the peak but I bet the deer hunters are out of their tree stands by now.

Deja Coffin 2 years, 11 months ago

As a woman with regular length fingernails, no tattoos, and her ears pierced just once I really like all the body mortification records. To me there's something gross yet fascinating about them.

RoeDapple 2 years, 11 months ago

Damn . . . automatics for me from now on . . .

FlintlockRifle 2 years, 11 months ago

Roe, you got the Brit sniper before I was even up this morning, what a shot this soldier is, just can't imagine,my old M1 was doing goog at 125 yards

RoeDapple 2 years, 11 months ago

Yup. My longest shots were at prairie dogs in '72/ '73 hitting about 70% out to 400yds. Locally my best shot a deer was paced off at 325yds with my .308 Rem 700. I held about three inches over her back and when she stopped I took her right lung and heart. She stepped one step forward then end over endededed.

cAPEable 2 years, 11 months ago

Championship banana eating.

These rubes seem to think 7.5 in a minute is some sort of record. Whatever, dudes.

Pro tip - Peel them from the non-stem end; it's much more efficient.

Flap Doodle 2 years, 11 months ago

I'm not going to be romping the the woods near Roe whilst wearing my Bambi suit.

RoeDapple 2 years, 11 months ago

Damn . . . lace undies one time and branded for life . . .

RoeDapple 2 years, 11 months ago

Damn . . . lace undies one time and branded for life . . .

RoeDapple 2 years, 11 months ago

Damn, I hope not! We haven't even got around to the witness protection order yet!

blindrabbit 2 years, 11 months ago

riverdrifter: Someone (knowledgeable) told me the peak day for the whitetail rut around here is November 18th. Must be some truth to that, went out this morning and 3 of my 3 year old peach trees look like they were attacked by a moose, nothing left but skinned trunks.

But the best record for me, still a Olympic Record but no longer a World Record, was the Bob Beamon long jump at 29+ feet that held for 20+ years.

riverdrifter 2 years, 11 months ago

Blind: I think Nov. 13th is considered by the insurance companies to be the peak of the rut here in Kansas based on car/deer collision incidents. However, 2 out-of-state friends who just returned home after a 10-day bowhunt here say it's a muddled up rut here this year and images from my 3 trail cameras agree with them. Seems like it's a drawn-out rut season this year. One thing for sure, though: by the time we rifle hunters climb into the stands on Nov. 30 the rut will be a distant memory. You can get some pruning seal for those trees at HD or Earl Mays and might be able to salvage them.

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 11 months ago

November 13? That's our dear friend the Reverend Fred Phelps' birthday, and I share it with him.

But you know what's strange? It took me decades to figure out that it's almost exactly 9 months after Valentine's Day.

Deja Coffin 2 years, 11 months ago

Happy Birthday Ron! I hope it was a great one!!

blindrabbit 2 years, 11 months ago

river: Thanks for the tip, but I mean there is no bark or limbs left on these trees, skinned right to the ground. I have a small orchard and loose about 3-4 trees per year! Once the tree diameter gets to about 3" they seem to be safe; also, once the tree is significantly damaged, it does not seem to be able to recover regardless of what I do to save it. Guess I need to get a pack of pit-bulls. But what really works for all deer problems is spraying a egg yolk, hot sauce, detergent and water mixture on the trees, but need to do it every couple of weeks; I obviously waited too long this time around.

Flap Doodle 2 years, 11 months ago

"...it's a muddled up rut here this year..." My recent experiences in bars confirms that.

riverdrifter 2 years, 11 months ago

I still get gamey from time to time but the rut is by and large over for me, I guess. Blind, the over/under for a max deer jump is right at 7.5 ft. Guess you need to get some of that 8' deer wire.

blindrabbit 2 years, 11 months ago

The K-State folks say a two fence system works much better. They say place a second single wire 4 feet inside and about 4 feet off the ground from the first fence. The distance between the two is important; deer apparently get confused and spooked because it messes up their jumping distance. I've got a section of two barbed wire fences about 10 feet apart, they have no problem with that.

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 11 months ago

Ancient Wisdom From My Grandparents:

The reason so many old pastures and fields have two fences between them with a ten foot separation was to keep the horses from fighting through them.

beatrice 2 years, 11 months ago

Longest occupation of Wall Street?