Previous   Next

What is a good way to mark Veterans Day?

Asked at Dillons, 1015 West 23rd St. on November 11, 2011

Browse the archives

“I like that Applebee’s gives away free dinner to veterans. More businesses should do something like that .”

“Doing some research to learn about the wars we’ve fought. Veterans from World War II to Iraq have all faced different challenges.”

“Fly more American flags.”

“Give veterans a free meal, like Hy-Vee does. Veterans really deserve it.”

Comments

jackpot 3 years, 8 months ago

Sorry you can't read before you post.

somedude20 3 years, 8 months ago

glad you are able to blow off the meaning of this day. Lucky for you that some people have the guts to do what you decided not to do! I would like to thank all the people I served with and the ones I did not

Bill Lee 3 years, 8 months ago

How do I get a free meal? It's not as if I still have my military ID card.

Ron Holzwarth 3 years, 8 months ago

Any piece of paper that identifies you as a vet will do. Or, do you have a VA patient card?

Ron Holzwarth 3 years, 8 months ago

Or, do you have a photo of yourself in uniform? I think that will do.

irvan moore 3 years, 8 months ago

if you have a va card it should do the trick

Ron Holzwarth 3 years, 8 months ago

For some of us, the best thing to do is to eat the free food!

I reached that conclusion last year after eating at Applebee's. It was great, and especially so if I compare it to what I got in boot camp!

Ron Holzwarth 3 years, 8 months ago

You made a mistake. You should have told them you were Jewish!

RoeDapple 3 years, 8 months ago

Woke up thinking about my dad. Shot twice and wounded by incoming mortar round while serving in the Philippine islands, he was recovering in Australia and was scheduled to rejoin the fighting as part of the invasion of Japan when word came of the dropping of the bomb at Hiroshima. He was my hero. I wish I had told him.

tbaker 3 years, 8 months ago

I call all those I served with, or send them a note. I always call my Dad, a US Navy WWII vet. Visiting vets in VA is really big deal. Everyone should try doing that. They have a wonderful celebration in Leavenworth. If you go by the VFW, there is a table set for one, and no one ever sits there out of respect for the fallen. All VFWs have one of those year-round. I'm in Afghanistan at the moment. A big BBQ is planned for today. All the British and Canadian soldeirs here wear poppies on their unifoms. It's called Remembrance Day in British commonwealth countries.

Satirical 3 years, 8 months ago

Tell the families of Veterans that you appreciate their sacrifice as well. Members of the Armed Forces couldn't do their job without the support of their families.

riverdrifter 3 years, 8 months ago

I think of my Dad, an island hopping marine in WWII. Today I will take the blue highways to northwest Kansas enroute to a pheasant hunt. The little cemeteries along the way will be ringed with flags against the crystal blue sky in poignant reminder. Time to gather up gear and dog and go.

jackpot 3 years, 8 months ago

Loss my Dad in 69. Not many days I don't remember my WWII vet.

Richard Heckler 3 years, 8 months ago

Tell elected officials to get out of the way and admit that Depleted Uranium Weapons has devastating impacts on our soldiers and all other innocent human beings.

Provide OUR VETERANS with the necessary disability pensions and the best care. Soldiers and veterans exposed to Depleted Uranium dust in the oil region war zones should not be having babies according to what I have read.

Give our vets and their families the 100% disability ratings that they deserve. So many are coming home with no jobs in site. Care for exposure to DU weapons is expensive.

Elected officials need to stop pretending that exposure to DU powder is harmless. What do our Vets need? Unconditional support for the disabilities that are acquired from war zones.

Mary Darst 3 years, 8 months ago

Pops fought the Viet Nam ALL day yesterday on History.

labmonkey 3 years, 8 months ago

If someone has served in a war zone, they should be absolved of paying taxes for the rest of their life... they paid their dues to this country.

Otherwise, thank those you know personally.

George Lippencott 3 years, 8 months ago

Aha but Katara and Vertigo think that my not paying state taxes on my military pension makes me a hypocrite. No body argued my side or for that matter simple reality - nobody with a state pension pays state taxes in Kansas..

What do we really believe?

labmonkey 3 years, 8 months ago

I don't remember that thread as my presence on LJworld is pretty sporatic, but if you served in a war zone (not I said war zone), then you should not have to pay taxes.

Thanks though for trying to hijack what I said and question my beliefs...

Crazy_Larry 3 years, 8 months ago

Teach the younger generations about military generals like Smedley Butler and Dwight Eisenhower. Maybe they'll quit volunteering to join the military and supporting the B.S...

Smedley Butler - War is a Racket http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmhZ8pap1hM

Eisenhower warns us of the military industrial complex. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8y06NS...

FlintlockRifle 3 years, 8 months ago

Glad you wasn't my point back in 65 , but thanks for your worhless answer Mr. C.L

Crazy_Larry 3 years, 8 months ago

Worthless answer? Not hardly. Your comment certainly is worthless, however. Do you have a problem with the General Butler or General Eisenhower? Are you some sort of war pig? Did you enjoy fighting in an unwinnable war for profit? Did you enjoy seeing your buddies die for nothing? We should continue down that path of destruction, in you opinion? Wake up, you dang fool.

Crazy_Larry 3 years, 8 months ago

Yeah, I told FlintlockRifle that already. His name says it all....All flintlock rifles are worthless in this day and age. Get an AR or an AK, ya dag-nab fool. I'm smarter than you.

Rae Hudspeth 3 years, 8 months ago

Veterans should get a paid day off today.

George Lippencott 3 years, 8 months ago

vertigo (Jesse Crittenden) replies…

We called you a hypocrite because you were complaining your taxes were too high when the reality is you aren't paying as much tax as you'd have us believe.

Moderate Responds:

1. Never told you how much we paid. I posted the percentage of our income we pay. That is factual and it is significant.
  2. While I may have slipped into complaining at how much we pay locally my argument locally has been not the magnitude by the rate of increase (much higher than inflation).
  3. I have only noted that our state sales tax rate went up 20%. In fact I defended the increase to avoid greater cuts to state services
  4. My complaints at the federal level have been equity driven exclusive. Not amount driven a. The super-rich are soaking the rest of us b. The grouping with incomes below the mean and above the poverty level pays no federal income tax. I believe the term I used was had no “skin” in the game Why should I pay state tax on my federal pension when Kansas does not exact state tax on Kansas Pensions? Is this that old greed that somebody is getting something you are not coupled with a visceral hatred of things military??? The citizens of Kansas made that decisions because a federal judge made them.

labmonkey 3 years, 8 months ago

George, I usually enjoy the blog posts you compose even though I may not alway agree with them because they are usually well thoughtout and you don't show troll tendencies, so I don't understand why you are hijacking this thread. This is not really the thread to hijack,,,

pace 3 years, 8 months ago

Occupy, Pass the jobs bills. My mom helped one returning vet save his home from foreclosure. Maybe our $ongress should do something like that.