Previous   Next

What is a good way to mark Veterans Day?

Asked at Dillons, 1015 West 23rd St. on November 11, 2011

Browse the archives

“I like that Applebee’s gives away free dinner to veterans. More businesses should do something like that .”

“Doing some research to learn about the wars we’ve fought. Veterans from World War II to Iraq have all faced different challenges.”

“Fly more American flags.”

“Give veterans a free meal, like Hy-Vee does. Veterans really deserve it.”

Comments

pace 2 years, 5 months ago

Occupy, Pass the jobs bills. My mom helped one returning vet save his home from foreclosure. Maybe our $ongress should do something like that.

My_Life 2 years, 5 months ago

Veterans are the reason OTS exists. What a beautiful day to be alive. Be thankful.

Pywacket 2 years, 5 months ago

Marking this day with great relief as my soldier daughter just returned after eight months of a deployment overseas. (Came home early as she tore a muscle and needs surgery.) I told her I am grateful for her service and proud of her. So glad that she is back--I hope for good.

Also thinking of my dad, an Air Force veteran who served in Korea. He would have been 78 this year. My stepmom takes flowers out to his spot at the national cemetery at Augusta, MI. She also takes a few ears of corn to leave for the deer that are abundant there. Dad always loved to feed all the wildlife and she sees to it that his little plot of land provides an occasional treat for the critters.

I offer my gratitude to all the other vets out there. Thank you for your contribution toward a safer world.

labmonkey 2 years, 5 months ago

George, I usually enjoy the blog posts you compose even though I may not alway agree with them because they are usually well thoughtout and you don't show troll tendencies, so I don't understand why you are hijacking this thread. This is not really the thread to hijack,,,

George Lippencott 2 years, 5 months ago

vertigo (Jesse Crittenden) replies…

We called you a hypocrite because you were complaining your taxes were too high when the reality is you aren't paying as much tax as you'd have us believe.

Moderate Responds:

1. Never told you how much we paid. I posted the percentage of our income we pay. That is factual and it is significant.
  2. While I may have slipped into complaining at how much we pay locally my argument locally has been not the magnitude by the rate of increase (much higher than inflation).
  3. I have only noted that our state sales tax rate went up 20%. In fact I defended the increase to avoid greater cuts to state services
  4. My complaints at the federal level have been equity driven exclusive. Not amount driven a. The super-rich are soaking the rest of us b. The grouping with incomes below the mean and above the poverty level pays no federal income tax. I believe the term I used was had no “skin” in the game Why should I pay state tax on my federal pension when Kansas does not exact state tax on Kansas Pensions? Is this that old greed that somebody is getting something you are not coupled with a visceral hatred of things military??? The citizens of Kansas made that decisions because a federal judge made them.

Rae Hudspeth 2 years, 5 months ago

Veterans should get a paid day off today.

FlintlockRifle 2 years, 5 months ago

Glad you wasn't my point back in 65 , but thanks for your worhless answer Mr. C.L

Crazy_Larry 2 years, 5 months ago

Teach the younger generations about military generals like Smedley Butler and Dwight Eisenhower. Maybe they'll quit volunteering to join the military and supporting the B.S...

Smedley Butler - War is a Racket http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmhZ8pap1hM

Eisenhower warns us of the military industrial complex. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8y06NS...

labmonkey 2 years, 5 months ago

If someone has served in a war zone, they should be absolved of paying taxes for the rest of their life... they paid their dues to this country.

Otherwise, thank those you know personally.

CWGOKU 2 years, 5 months ago

John Wayne movie marathon

The wife is going to get drunk with some sailors

autie 2 years, 5 months ago

Does kind of make me think of a couple of friends a few years older than me that went off to the Nam. I wasn't quite old enough to worry about that one. I've been watching that documentary on History this week. Makes me remember watching the evening news every night in ninth and tenth grade. War on TV. real war. How horrible.

Richard Heckler 2 years, 5 months ago

Tell elected officials to get out of the way and admit that Depleted Uranium Weapons has devastating impacts on our soldiers and all other innocent human beings.

Provide OUR VETERANS with the necessary disability pensions and the best care. Soldiers and veterans exposed to Depleted Uranium dust in the oil region war zones should not be having babies according to what I have read.

Give our vets and their families the 100% disability ratings that they deserve. So many are coming home with no jobs in site. Care for exposure to DU weapons is expensive.

Elected officials need to stop pretending that exposure to DU powder is harmless. What do our Vets need? Unconditional support for the disabilities that are acquired from war zones.

g_rock 2 years, 5 months ago

My niece's grade school always had a veteran's assembly with speakers and other patriotic stuff. They invite family members who are vets and my daddy loves going and wearing his Navy ship's hat.

jackpot 2 years, 5 months ago

Loss my Dad in 69. Not many days I don't remember my WWII vet.

BornAgainAmerican 2 years, 5 months ago

I will be taking my Navy WW II Vet Father to Appleby's. It's also his birthday today.

riverdrifter 2 years, 5 months ago

I think of my Dad, an island hopping marine in WWII. Today I will take the blue highways to northwest Kansas enroute to a pheasant hunt. The little cemeteries along the way will be ringed with flags against the crystal blue sky in poignant reminder. Time to gather up gear and dog and go.

deathpenaltyliberal 2 years, 5 months ago

Tell a veteran thanks, and say a prayer for the fallen.

Benjamin Roberts 2 years, 5 months ago

Put aside the politics for a minute ... mark Veteran's Day with this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9_bP2...

Satirical 2 years, 5 months ago

Tell the families of Veterans that you appreciate their sacrifice as well. Members of the Armed Forces couldn't do their job without the support of their families.

Roland Gunslinger 2 years, 5 months ago

FYI a lot of places have great benefits for veterans- here's a current list:

Applebee’s – free meal, Friday, Nov. 11

Chili’s – free meal, Friday, Nov. 11.

Golden Corral – Free meal, Monday Nov. 14

Hooters – Free Meal, Friday, Nov. 11.

Krispy Kreme – Free doughnut.

McCormick & Schmick’s Seafood Restaurants – free lunch or dinner, Sunday Nov 13, 2011:

Outback Steakhouse – A week of Free Bloomin’ Onions and Cokes Monday Nov. 7 – Friday Nov. 11.

Subway – Free Six Inch Sub.

Texas Roadhouse – free meal, Friday, Nov. 11.

T.G.I. Friday’s – Buy one get one free Nov 11-14.

Uno Chicago Grill, Friday, Nov. 11. Uno’s is offering a free entree or individual pizza with a purchase of an entree or pizza of equal or greater value.

Fee Free Day at National Parks. To honor America’s service men and women, Secretary of the Interior Ken Salazar announced that areas managed by the National Park Service would not charge entrance fees for Veteran’s Day weekend – November 11-13, 2011. Over 100 national Parks will be participating in this event.

Free Car wash. Thousands of car washes around the country are offering vets a free car wash on Veterans Day. Find a list at Grace for Veterans, which helped veterans receive 101,537 FREE Washes on Veterans Day in 2010.

p>Amazon.com – Discount “Veterans Day Honor” MP3 album download. This downloadable album includes 12 songs as performed by the military bands and ensembles of the U.S. Armed Forces. Visit Amazon on Veteran’s Day to download the album.

Netflix – One Month Free Trial.

Sport Clips – FREE haircut to active-duty military & veterans. Offer only available at select locations. Please call to verify local participation.

Tim Hortons – all US locations are offering a free donut to all veterans.

tbaker 2 years, 5 months ago

I call all those I served with, or send them a note. I always call my Dad, a US Navy WWII vet. Visiting vets in VA is really big deal. Everyone should try doing that. They have a wonderful celebration in Leavenworth. If you go by the VFW, there is a table set for one, and no one ever sits there out of respect for the fallen. All VFWs have one of those year-round. I'm in Afghanistan at the moment. A big BBQ is planned for today. All the British and Canadian soldeirs here wear poppies on their unifoms. It's called Remembrance Day in British commonwealth countries.

RoeDapple 2 years, 5 months ago

Woke up thinking about my dad. Shot twice and wounded by incoming mortar round while serving in the Philippine islands, he was recovering in Australia and was scheduled to rejoin the fighting as part of the invasion of Japan when word came of the dropping of the bomb at Hiroshima. He was my hero. I wish I had told him.

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 5 months ago

For some of us, the best thing to do is to eat the free food!

I reached that conclusion last year after eating at Applebee's. It was great, and especially so if I compare it to what I got in boot camp!

Bill Lee 2 years, 5 months ago

How do I get a free meal? It's not as if I still have my military ID card.

Benjamin Roberts 2 years, 5 months ago

Thank a veteran for their service and their family's sacrifice.

Gandalf 2 years, 5 months ago

I rented Captain America. Beware the power of Odin in the wrong hands!

Odeo 2 years, 5 months ago

Sorry. To answer the question, and see the earlier response, my answer is:

With a Prayer. May not be a way to "Mark it". But, may go farther....Sometimes, a prayer can go a long way.

Please, God Bless, and watch over all of ours that we have lost and are trying to "get back" and those who are on their way. - Odeo

Odeo 2 years, 5 months ago

Veterans. And those, whom are serving and getting ready. THANK YOU!!

Odeo 2 years, 5 months ago

Bad comment in response to the OTS question. That sucks.