Previous   Next

What language would you like to learn?

Browse the archives

“Chinese.”

“Russian.”

“Spanish.”

“I am torn between German and Spanish, because I am going to Germany this summer, but I have a few Spanish-speaking friends in Lawrence.”

Comments

RoeDapple 3 years, 6 months ago

Aramaic. Maybe go back and retake eighth grade Latin. Nah, forget it. I barely scrape by on Kansan English.

RoeDapple 3 years, 6 months ago

Damn! No better than I sleep and I slept through an earthquake! Oh well, I did feel the one that originated in Colorado 20 some years ago. Trying to shave early one morning and the vanity mirror started moving in and out about 2:30 AM. Heard later that day it had been felt in eastern KS.

rockchalker52 3 years, 6 months ago

How about the language of tolerance? It doesn't take but a modicum of effort to scroll past comments that one wishes to ignore.
I do wish I could speak dog a little better. My pooch wishes I could speak it better, too.

"...or limit posters to a single comment per day." I speak BS pretty fluently & this is a prime example.

FlintlockRifle 3 years, 6 months ago

The language they speak ''DOWN SOUTH"" sometimes I can get maybe half of what they speak

ivalueamerica 3 years, 6 months ago

I speak English, and Spanish, and I finger-spell, but would love to learn to be fluent in American Sign Language.

RoeDapple 3 years, 6 months ago

I can make the same insult in five languages plus the center digit of either hand. Does that make me ambidextrous?

RoeDapple 3 years, 6 months ago

Kẹp nó.Bạn là tất cả các kỳ lạ.

bolshavik_vw 3 years, 6 months ago

I am going to be taking Spanish in February to enhance my Spanish Speaking Skills. The language I would really like to learn after that is Romani. I have books and other written forms of the Language, so I am looking for a Good Set of Romani DVD's with Audio. SO I can learn to speak.

Mike Ford 3 years, 6 months ago

I'm learning Potawatomi, Ojibwe, and Biloxi right now and practicing Choctaw. Chipisalichikki.

Ron Holzwarth 3 years, 6 months ago

Wow! You're learning Biloxi!

That will make you one of very few speakers of a language that became extinct in the 1930s, and has been reconstructed only within the last two years by a doctoral student here at KU for his dissertation for his doctorate in linguistics.

Deja Coffin 3 years, 6 months ago

I took 3 years of Spanish in high school and all I really know how to do is have a very basic conversation with someone (if spoken really slow) and sing Happy Birthday. I would like to someday expand my Spanish vocabulary but really I would love to learn Italian.

When I worked at a factory in Olathe I wanted to learn Laotian only because I swear those ladies were always talking about me!

Mike Ford 3 years, 6 months ago

shukha anumpa haklo li, math.... ihkana okpulo chi, math.....nahollo ilbasha ut math...... chahta imanumpa ish anumpuli hinla ho math? nahollo anumpuli ut okpulo fehna math? Choctaw a language from here.....English..... a language of immigrants.....

Joe Hyde 3 years, 5 months ago

Spanish. I gave it a try in high school and felt like a puppy lost on the freeway. Languages that place the verb ahead of the noun totally befuddle me. I do, however, like how in Spanish the question mark and exclamation mark is placed before the sentence starts and then again at the end of the sentence. This clues the reader as to the sentence's nature.

I have trememdous respect for people who can speak two or more languages fluently. Such a skill is just amazing.

One day while visiting with a woman from Nicaragua we got to talking about languages, and she mentioned the extreme difficulty she has understanding the conversation anytime she's talking with someone from Mexico. That comment surprised me because Spanish is the language of both countries. She went on to say that so many differences exist in speaking styles within the Spanish language that sometimes it's almost impossible for her to understand people from other Central American countries. Hearing her say this made me feel a lot better about my difficulties in high school Spanish class.

It would be really weird to visit a Spanish-speaking country after you've acquired the ability to speak Spanish...then still be unable to make yourself understood by that country's residents.