Previous   Next

What is your favorite band or music from another country?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on November 5, 2011

Browse the archives

“German metal”

“Mumford & Sons.”

“Spanish guitar music.”

“Mumford & Sons.”

Comments

labmonkey 3 years, 1 month ago

Rammstein, System of a Down, and Apocalyptica.

labmonkey 3 years, 1 month ago

The band may have formed in LA, but the members are Armenian. They formed by looking for fellow Armenians.

Deja Coffin 3 years, 1 month ago

Love Love Love System of a Down only with 3 little ones I hardly ever get to listen to them. I was once listening to Spiders while doing dished and my 6 year old came in and told me it sounded like The Nightmare Before Christmas.

labmonkey 3 years, 1 month ago

Rhonda's gonna be pissed at this OTS. Isn't this her territory?

RoeDapple 3 years, 1 month ago

Missouri is a foreign country . . right?

"The Lawrence Massacre" by a Band of Missouri Ruffians (Led by William Quantrill)

RoeDapple 3 years, 1 month ago

They say these folk tour in a VW mini bus. I bet it looks like a porcupine goin' down the road . . .

Swiss Alphorn Players Einfach mal Zuhoeren

Bill Lee 3 years, 1 month ago

The Walker Brothers from England even though all three were Americans living there. I like Scott's solo stuff most of all.

Bill Lee 3 years, 1 month ago

I'm also a huge fan of Ireland's Van Morrison.

Deja Coffin 3 years, 1 month ago

This is my mom's favorite song. I remember her standing us up on the table to dance to it with her.

Deja Coffin 3 years, 1 month ago

Doesn't Rammstein have a song that's a cookie recipe or is that just something my sister made up?

tomatogrower 3 years, 1 month ago

I love music from all over the world, but I love the Irish most. Clannad is great, but I don't think they are together anymore, so I'm dating myself.

Cait McKnelly 3 years, 1 month ago

Actually, they are. The members of Clannad are all from one family, the Brennans. (By the way, Clannad literally means "family" in Irish.) Their dad, Leo, who started the group, owned a tavern in Donegal called (of course :) Leo's Tavern. He's retired now and the tavern has been taken over by one of his sons not involved in the music business. Most of the band is comprised of siblings, children of Leo, However, there are two bandmates that are twin uncles of the siblings. The only one to ever completely leave the group for a solo career was Enya, who left in 1981. Moire has done solo work and has released several solo EPs but she's never completely left the band, even after marrying and having children of her own. Clannad as a band still records a great deal. A lot of it is background music for movies and they did background tracks for one of the manifestations of the game Kingdom Hearts. Two or three times a year they will show up at Leo's Tavern out of the blue for an "old home get together" and perform unannounced. They are currently touring but much of it is confined to Ireland. They are also currently laying studio tracks for a new EP. (From someone who keeps up with her Irish music. :)

Cait McKnelly 3 years, 1 month ago

The Clancy Brothers (and Tommy Makem) have been a part of my "family" since I was a wee child in the early '60's. Liam and Tommy's "Parting Glass" was played at my dad's funeral.

Cait McKnelly 3 years, 1 month ago

Is there any other? My dad used to say that irish music could be defined by three W's; whiskey, women and war.

oopssillyme 3 years, 1 month ago

Radiohead, The Cure, Depeche Mode, Erasure.

beatrice 3 years, 1 month ago

I'll second that.

Now, all those in favor say "aye."

The ayes have it: The Beatles are the best band from another country.

labmonkey 3 years, 1 month ago

I agree 100% with they only have one good song... too bad they couldn't have died in a plane crash after Creep.

Liberty275 3 years, 1 month ago

No it's not. It's Caturday. You need to pick a different day.

Cait McKnelly 3 years, 1 month ago

I was (and still am) fond of the Scorpions.

Kyle Neuer 3 years, 1 month ago

Kora music from Mali, Soukous, Highlife, Orchestra Baobab.

rockchalker52 3 years, 1 month ago

"incessant and immature..." blah, blah..

Sometimes the only frets worth listening to come from the guitars on these fine links my fellow posters have shared.

Its free tuition day, Rock History - graduate level, courtesy R_A. Let him roll, troll. right in his wheelhouse. prose deluxe.

That's all i'ma say aboutit. It's Sat & there's football. I'm out 'til after the big game tonite. Roll Tide.

RoeDapple 3 years, 1 month ago

Anybody got a link to Jan and Dean's "Schlock Rod"?

beatrice 3 years, 1 month ago

Beatles and Pink Floyd for popular music.

Ali Farka Toure for best African blues. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBDU6X...

beatrice 3 years, 1 month ago

Saw Led Zeppelin there the same year. It turned out to be their last show in North America.

Cait McKnelly 3 years, 1 month ago

Brother http://www.brothermusic.com/ Never ran into anything like these guys. They call themselves a "mongrel band". They're from Australia and they use bagpipes and didgeridoo and African drums and all sorts of other weird stuff. They use aboriginal themes and rock and you name it. Love them lots. Not quite AfroCelt, not quite not.

The Pogues Couldn't be young(ish) and Irish without getting into Shane McGowan, although it was a bit of a "Whaa??" to hear his voice in a car commercial. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q97IfB...

Runrig For the Scots on my list. Time to get homesick. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsNwgv...

Adiemus And for the Welsh among us... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXpulL...

true_patriot 3 years, 1 month ago

Turbonegro Bulgarian Women's Choir Thin Lizzy Elis Regina Masshysteri AC/DC Polysics Maura O'Connell Budgie Rush Kvelertak Sugarcubes Pilot Birthday Party UFO Curved Air Mando Diao Plastics

beatrice 3 years, 1 month ago

California might seem foreign to you, but that doesn't make it another country.

puddleglum 3 years, 1 month ago

that ol rammsteins a good act, but how can you top DURAN DURAN?

zikzak 3 years, 1 month ago

Kwoon, a French post rock band. Check out I lived on the Moon on you tube. Beautifully done.