Previous   Next

What is the first thing you would do if you won the lottery?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on May 25, 2011

Browse the archives

“Being that I’m a finance major at the University of Kansas, I would invest my winnings.”

“Put it in the bank.”

“Pay off my student loans.”

“I would fix it so I don’t ever have to work again, though I’d probably continue to keep working. After that I would figure out how to help take care of family and friends.”

Comments

deec 3 years, 7 months ago

2nd. Scream until I was hoarse or soil myself, whichever comes first.

ivalueamerica 3 years, 7 months ago

This is why I wish LJW comments had like buttons.

impska 3 years, 6 months ago

30%! In your dreams! You'd shoot right up to your highest tax brackets. 40% to the federal government, 6% to KS. Not to mention, due to your sudden good luck, you will lose the benefit of the majority of your tax deductions.

That said, because of your new tax bracket, you'd really get the best deduction out there for your charitable donation, so there's always a bright spot. Hopefully you have enough left or your island.

jackpot 3 years, 7 months ago

First R.V., second 9mm, Third travel.

RoeDapple 3 years, 7 months ago

Most likely go into cardiac arrest . . . as I am hit by lightning . . . while photographing Bigfoot . . . stepping out of a flying saucer . . . On Dec. 21, 2012.

Gene Wallace 3 years, 7 months ago

Yes to the RV and travel travel Travel!!!

Doug Fisher 3 years, 7 months ago

Take $10 of it and donate to Joplin tornado victims and then who knows.

kujmom 3 years, 7 months ago

wow...........your generosity is astounding.............

LadyJ 3 years, 7 months ago

Take a day off and do nothing and maybe try out Starbucks or some other coffee place. Then I would hire somebody else to paint the house this summer.

Take_a_letter_Maria 3 years, 7 months ago

That one appears to have flown over everyone's head hail.

Nevertheless 3 years, 7 months ago

"Imbred." Not a word. Perhaps proving your point.

Flap Doodle 3 years, 7 months ago

Holland & Holland would have a very profitable quarter.

Rae Hudspeth 3 years, 7 months ago

That's rockin'.. I think, though, that this is how I would roll...

riverdrifter 3 years, 7 months ago

Sissy machine (sniffs)! Since hitting the lottery would make fuel prices meaningless, I'd roll with this: http://globalxvehicles.com/safari-extreme/

BigPrune 3 years, 7 months ago

I'd create high paying jobs in..........Eudora, since I know Lawrence never wants them.

speak_up 3 years, 7 months ago

Yep. Student loans. Then pay off the car. Then go on an amazing trip abroad.

thomgreen 3 years, 7 months ago

I agree with part of that. Changing my phone number and canceling all my current email addresses and online pages would be first and foremost. Then I'd go on a year long road trip driving around the country.

RoeDapple 3 years, 7 months ago

Only 100 rounds? Hell, I have that many rolling around on the floorboard!

RoeDapple 3 years, 7 months ago

buy Whitney a lifetime supply of Reese's mini cups

RoeDapple 3 years, 7 months ago

Fund A homeless shelter for Lawrence. In Tulsa.

Royals 3 years, 7 months ago

Make the Royals World Series Champs once again.

RoeDapple 3 years, 7 months ago

Buy two .45's? Nah, I'd buy Colt Industries . . .

somedude20 3 years, 7 months ago

Have Van Halen play my bithday party (after saving Brook Shields from drowning) I might also buy the rights to "Cool Hand Luke" so that it never gets remade starring Ben Affleck or Pauly Shore

rockchalker52 3 years, 7 months ago

Hire a coupla men Fridays to call on a whim, help with the heavy lifting. It'd be an easy gig, lotsa beer runs probably. Gal Fridays ok, too. I yam equal opportunity sloth.

Marty_McFly 3 years, 7 months ago

Go back to the future.
And thanks somedude, keep Cool Hand Luke as it is. Remakes suck.

rockchalker52 3 years, 7 months ago

I would finance Autie's party in shameless attempt to attain a spot on the list.

kernal 3 years, 7 months ago

Give a 10th of it to charities, setup trust funds for the kids (as long as they go to college and don't screw it up), pay off some friends mortgages and buy my dream home in ,,,

he_who_knows_all 3 years, 7 months ago

Stop Identity theft!! (You know who you are!)

bangaranggerg 3 years, 7 months ago

Buy a share in a private jet, call a transportation company and give them a large retainer for limo/ town car travel. Donate enough money to the Willams Fund that I would be in the first flight of Allen Fieldhouse seat selection. Upgrade real estate holdings. Set up gift trusts. Hire a nutritionist/personal trainer for home, and a security advisor for foreign travel.

grammaddy 3 years, 7 months ago

Cash in my winning ticket and disappear.

beatrice 3 years, 7 months ago

I guess it all depends on how much money we are talking about. I've won $10 in the lottery before -- it wasn't quite enough to retire. $100 million on the other hand? First thing I'd do is probably change my tune and take the side of the folks who argue that rich people shouldn't be taxed.

Clickker 3 years, 7 months ago

first thing would be to set up a charitable trust. May as well help folks out rather than donate to the govt.

kinder_world 3 years, 7 months ago

Invest. Donate to charity. Help family. Move away from Lawrence.

cj123 3 years, 7 months ago

Jump up and down and scream! Anyone ever see the video of guy who thought he won the lottery but his friends set him up? That was just plain mean!

rockchalker52 3 years, 7 months ago

This topic is like a rudderless boat in a storm - listing all over the place.

southerngirl 3 years, 7 months ago

I would go where no man has gone before and never come back...

LadyJ 3 years, 7 months ago

Buy the LJW and then ♣Free the Blog♣. Oh and then make Whitney the "boss".

FlintlockRifle 3 years, 7 months ago

Buy all the 40 s&w, 243, 270, 223, 30-06, 00buck ammo, that Cabela's have ,ops I just bought the store ---all mine

M. Lindeman 3 years, 7 months ago

Set trust's up for all my kids, maybe get the ranch that has been sitting on the "never going to happen " part of the wish list.

kansanbygrace 3 years, 7 months ago

Not original with me, but like the old dude in Idaho, I'd keep farmin' 'til it's gone.

Bill Lee 3 years, 7 months ago

I'd take the first flight out of KCI. When it lands, I'd check into a hotel and decide where I'd go next and what I'd do before coming home. Most lottery winners go bankrupt by making bad investments trying to make even more money. If the jackpot is big enough for me to buy a ticket, I wouldn't need any more money. I'd put it in my checking account and spend it on things I need or really want, not a bunch of crap just to be spending. I'd give a lot of it to friends and family. I'd make some donations, and then I'd cruise for the rest of my life.

Flap Doodle 3 years, 7 months ago

Roe, I took a closer look at the H&H Land Rover, considering how much an H&H rifle costs, the car is a bargain.

RoeDapple 3 years, 7 months ago

Will you give me a ride when you get it?

Cait McKnelly 3 years, 7 months ago

Become what I've wanted to be for most of my adult life; an expatriate. Well, you know you guys did give me a choice when you said, "America. Love it or leave it." (And no, I wouldn't let the door hit me in the rear on the way out because I'd be gone so fast it would miss me.)

Scott Morgan 3 years, 7 months ago

This really is an interesting question, and if you can trust in the state lottery folks very likely to happen if you play.

I'm pretty satisfied with the life carved, and unlike Cait48 would never leave the U.S Maybe a couple minor things. Besides buying new wife, children, home, right knee, friends, part of the country, last name, personality, and replacing one of my four dogs, I'd not change anything. Maybe one of those colorful Hawaiian shirts too.

Actually, Uruguay or Paraguay, always get them mixed up seems to be interesting places to migrate. I like the one with the port and during colonial times attracted Italian immigrants.

Cait McKnelly 3 years, 7 months ago

I just want to go somewhere civilized where the treatment of chronic pain isn't controlled by the DEA, people like Phred Phelps are banned as "hate groups" and someone like Brownie wouldn't stand a snowball's chance in Hades of winning an election. Sweden sounds good. And no, I wouldn't mind giving half of my winnings to their gummint for the promise to take care of me. It's a promise they keep. Not like the US where they force people to pay into their Ponzi scheme for forty years then do their best to screw people out of it when it comes time to pay out.

Scott Morgan 3 years, 7 months ago

Actually cait, I've looked into Uruguay several times during my lifetime. You may wish to check it out.

Thirty years ago Uruguay was hands down much better place to migrate to than Australia. Especially if you had a few bucks.

Very liberal country, including allowing same sex marriages and a slew of other obnoxious lib causes. Good solid democracy, banking tied to world economy. Meaning if you buy a home, you can rest assured it won't be Castroized on a whim. The current prez is a simple man who loves common people.

I have a buddy who lives there 6 months a year with his family. A little bit native a little bit old Europe. The Italian influence and ocean access morphed into a wonderful cuisine.

From memory and doing quickie mental math with help of my el-wifo, seems you could buy a near ocean, or in the mountains around Montenegro, couple acres, two bath, multi bedroom modern type home for around 80K. Big horse area as well, which appealed to us.

My buddy tells me good medical stuff for minor to some serious stuff, for all other jump on jet to Miami.

impska 3 years, 6 months ago

Sorry Cait. :( If you win in the States, you have to give half your winnings to the government anyway. Unless you pick a country that won't extradite you for tax evasion.

RoeDapple 3 years, 7 months ago

May have to wait a while for that lifetime supply of Reese's mini cups Whitney . . .

ihatelv 3 years, 7 months ago

Buy another lottery ticket.............

gkerr 3 years, 7 months ago

I'd first get on my knees and thank God for my good fortune. Then I'd buy the LJ World and turn it into a great newspaper by eliminating the incessant bias tilt to the left, maybe even tilt it a bit to the right where most of the folks are. Gkerr

clovis_sangrail 3 years, 7 months ago

Buy the country club at Alvamar and donate it to Loring Henderson to use for the homelss shelter.

If the neighbors put up too much of a stink about the homeless shelter, build Section 8 housing on it.