Previous   Next

What do you do to pass the time during a power outage?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on May 17, 2011

Browse the archives

“Read.”

“Sleep.”

“Light candles and enjoy it.”

“Take out candles and pretend it’s the 19th century. And sometimes play Trivial Pursuit.”

Comments

RoeDapple 5 years, 3 months ago

Reticent_Irreverent popped immediately into my head on this one so I looked up this terminology before continuing

RoeDapple 5 years, 3 months ago

Pia (my laptop) cools off rather quickly when there is no power. Sure, she has a battery but without her internet connection she becomes a cold fish, so to speak.

Adrienne Sanders 5 years, 3 months ago

Wait, what earthquake? I knew about the rapture but not about any seismic action.

RoeDapple 5 years, 3 months ago

Oops, well that 4:13 didn't come off so well . . . mind in a fog there. I need to stay out of other folks terminology . . . . . but I haven't had an original thought in months . . Well at least the bunker is prepped for 4/21 . bring it!!

RoeDapple 5 years, 3 months ago

4/21 will just be practice for the big one on 12/21/2012

RoeDapple 5 years, 3 months ago

Oh and it's Diet Dr Pepper and hydrocodone . . .

RoeDapple 5 years, 3 months ago

"What do you do to pass the time during a power outage?"

Actually when it happens at night I like to pull the covers up tight and go back to sleep. If it isn't storming it becomes peacefully quiet with only the distant sound of turnpike traffic and the occasional owl or coyote to break the silence. In this day of electronic wonders I know it will be a matter of seconds to a few hours before the power comes back on causing furnace/ac to kick on, random lights that may have been tried during the outage and best of all, the alarm system will come to life, sounding for all the world like a fleet of emergency vehicles racing down the hallway.

Flap Doodle 5 years, 3 months ago

I punish myself for the sins of the White devils.

somedude20 5 years, 3 months ago

I work on going blind while using twentieth century technology....Can't catch me 'cause the rabbit done died

RoeDapple 5 years, 3 months ago

I hear tell those burlington carp glow in the dark. makes night fishin a blast!

Flap Doodle 5 years, 3 months ago

autie, wear your lead-lined Speedos if you go to Burlington.

kernal 5 years, 3 months ago

I putz and putter.

Basement Kitteh, however, gets so peeved when he can't watch Animal Planet, he goes down to the dungeon and conjures up evil spells against Wittig and Lake.

FlintlockRifle 5 years, 3 months ago

Watch TV------- oh yow it don't work when the power is on, someday will buy a new one-

rumor_man 5 years, 3 months ago

I've blacked out more times than I can remember.

somedude20 5 years, 3 months ago

The darkness provides the best opportunity to get romantic with a Replay wookie monster, I mean woman Hairy pits: check smells bad: check pos (person of size): check bad tattoos: check yellow teeth: check Hipster piercings: check bad taste in music: check loose morals: check no electricity: double check Operation Geronimo in full effect, sir!

clovis_sangrail 5 years, 3 months ago

Since the wireles phone doesn't work when the power is out, I dig out the old non-wireless telephone that I keep just for these occasions and call the electric company repeatedly asking for updates and otherwise doing my best to make sure that their customer service or answering service person's day sucks as much as mine does without power. If you are persistent, you can get a real person.

The best times are when you can goad them so much they get angry, then you ask to speak to their supervisor and complain about them.

Extra points is you can get them to swear at you.

gphawk89 5 years, 3 months ago

Sit at my desk and wait for management to declare "suspended operations". And hope the power doesn't come back on until after the announcement.

bigt 5 years, 3 months ago

Walk out to the back yard step into the shed and turn on the generator and plug the freezer, and TV into the generator. That is what my wife always wants.