Previous   Next

At what point do you turn on your air conditioning?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on May 12, 2011

Browse the archives

“I just moved here from Seattle, so pretty much as soon as I got here.”

“Two weeks ago. I melt here.”

“As soon as it’s too hot to sleep without sweating.”

“I’ve already done it.”

Comments

Kenny Nall 4 years, 2 months ago

Pansies. My goal is no earlier than July.

denak 4 years, 2 months ago

I turned it on at exactly 7:00 p.m on Monday. That is when a friend walked into my house and after a few choice words said she wasn't staying in my hot *** house to watch DWTS if I didn't turn it on. So, I turned it on.

It is off now but it is so freaking muggy, I might just go turn it back on.

Pitt_Mackeson 4 years, 2 months ago

When you open the windows to be relieved by fresh air only to realize it's hotter than the sun outside. Try sleeping when it's 100 degrees out with the windows open and you've got big fat cats sleeping on you. THAT'S when it's time to turn on that bad boy.

RoeDapple 4 years, 2 months ago

Turn it on? No, I'm the one who is constantly shutting it off. The Queen still sleeps under her winter blankets, comforter and industrial strength flannel pajamas but has the AC cranked down to 52. I just woke up, teeth chattering and hypothermia setting in. Had to scrape the frost from the laptop screen to read the OTS question. Reset the thermostat to eighty eight as I scurried down the hall, coffee will be ready soon. I expect to hear footsteps within the hour when she realizes the house is starting to thaw.

pace 4 years, 2 months ago

I live for Spring, I suffer from claustrophobia in winter, inside, wrapped up, coats, scarfs, hats, gloves. Give me a single day with the lights on bright and the house warm enough to breathe for a day. The I go out into the freezer again. I recently changed bed rooms with my mate, OMG his room is 10 degrees different than my old room was. Now he is the one getting up in the night bumping the thermostat. Best winter I have had here.

RoeDapple 4 years, 2 months ago

Wait a second! Is this a trick question? . . . pervs. Wait til Hollis gets here, he will know.

bad_dog 4 years, 2 months ago

A trick question indeed, but I took it another way Roe...

Like when a home owner says something disparaging to their ever faithful but aging condensing unit, such as: "You're just a noisy, ugly, energy inefficient little gas compressor, aren't you? What's more, you're just not very cool anymore. Any more hot air out of you and I'll go upgrade."

Ron Holzwarth 4 years, 2 months ago

I turn it on as soon as I feel the heat!

A few years back, I lived in a mobile home with a broken air conditioner. One day, I got heat exhaustion. Terrible headache, throwing up, the whole nine yards. It was pretty bad. Strange thing was, the symptoms didn't show up until the sun had already gone down.

NEVER AGAIN! (if I can help it!)

Bill Lee 4 years, 2 months ago

I had it on for a couple of days, but it's back off. I deal with winter's cold much better than I do with summer's heat.

grammaddy 4 years, 2 months ago

As soon as the thermostat in the living room reaches 80. This tri-level house has a different temperature on each level. I'm thinking about moving to the basement. It's always nice and cool down there.

Flap Doodle 4 years, 2 months ago

When the lemurs start getting itchy, the AC goes on.

kernal 4 years, 2 months ago

When the temperature hits 85 upstairs.

RoeDapple 4 years, 2 months ago

"Oh the sound of the thing is not a ring it's more like a pleasant purr And the only sound I hear at night is the sound of my purring air-conditioner The air is pure and dehumidified thermostatically controlled Now I have no desire to perspire and that's how progress goes But the sound of their singing thrilled me as distantly but clearly it rang Though I never saw their faces and never knew their names And the gentle breeze brought sweet dreams of sweethearts that I never saw Who sang You Are My Sunshine in Newport Arkansas"

Bobby Bare

K_Verses_The_World 4 years, 2 months ago

The air is getting hotter There’s a rumbling in the skies I’ve been wading through the high muddy water With the heat rising in my eyes Every day your memory grows dimmer It doesn’t haunt me like it did before I’ve been walking through the middle of nowhere Trying to get to heaven before they close the door

K_Verses_The_World 4 years, 2 months ago

They were seared by the intense heat and they cursed the name of God, who had control over these plagues, but they refused to repent and glorify him.

Revelation 16:9 (New International Version)

Kirk Larson 4 years, 2 months ago

After it's been in the upper 90's for several days. And then I set it for about 82.

RoeDapple 4 years, 2 months ago

autie i heared sam neededed that there artsy money to pay fer the gas to operate them heeliochopters flyin low in southeest kansass but i aint sposed to talk boutit

Sheryl Wiggins 4 years, 2 months ago

I only turn on it when it stops working. Most of the time I like it just fine.

Flap Doodle 4 years, 2 months ago

When I start sweating while waving my big puppet around, it's time to switch on the AC.

MyName 4 years, 2 months ago

It's not really the heat it's the sticky humidity that decides things. If I go to open the windows and realize it's like a steam room out there, then it's time to turn on the A/C. But it never goes below 75 when I'm there and 80+ when I'm at work.

riverdrifter 4 years, 2 months ago

Multi, where in the hell do you come up with this stuff? Jesus!