Previous   Next

What do you think about the hours of downtown businesses?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on May 11, 2011

Browse the archives

“A lot of the stores I wouldn’t want to go to later at night. The ones that are open a little bit later are the ones I think that should be.”

“I think on Sundays they should be open later.”

“I think they’re pretty good. Sometimes we get off work late, like 6:30, and we come down here and there are still places that are still open.”

“I think more places should be open later. More food places and shopping places; they close too early. Some food places should be open late, like when bars close.”

Comments

Bill Lee 4 years ago

There are still stores downtown???? I go to the post office and the library. I used to go to Love Garden, but haven't been there since they moved. As I have pointed out for years, the biggest problem with downtown is that it's downtown. Most of us don't live in that part of town anymore. Lawrence has grown away from there.

Bill Lee 4 years ago

I do go to Liberty Hall a few times every year.

RoeDapple 4 years ago

They stink. As does the parking. The selection. And the homeless. Walmart and the internet are open 24/7 and take care of 99.9% of my shopping needs.

Ksgirl2000 4 years ago

The Lawrence ambiance feels like a larger city... Our store hours should match that. Sunday hours are pitiful. I want to shop local small business' but makes it difficult if they keep bankers hours only. AND getting a fit frustrated with the places closing before their posted hours without even a sign.

CHKNLTL 4 years ago

Lawrence feels like one sprawled out suburb. Have you driven around on a Sunday in Lawrence before? There are practically no cars. Sunday is hangover day. Go lie by your toilet like all the other young people do. And why should anybody leave a sign if no one is coming in all afternoon? Who would come to see it? People in this town don't even spend much money (and rarely have cold hard cash). You get what you give.

somedude20 4 years ago

Heard this story on NPR driving home from work yesterday : "No musician's lyrics are more often cited than Dylan's in court opinions and briefs, say legal experts who have chronicled the artist's influence on today's legal community. From U.S. Supreme Court rulings to law school courses, Dylan's words are used to convey messages about the law and courts gone astray."

Tammy Copp-Barta 4 years ago

Too many restaurants downtown, with very little retail, so we don't even go down there anymore except to the bank, library and post office. I worked downtown for 10+ years in the 80's & 90's and used to love to walk and visit other stores on my breaks and lunch hour. But that atmosphere is gone .. staying open later isn't going to help - it's just going to cost those businesses more money to pay people to keep the doors open.

pizzapete 4 years ago

The bars, banks, library, and post office are the ones most likely to be able to afford the outrageous rents. Oh yea, I shouldn't leave out "sucessful" architecture firms and developers that get tax breaks and parking deals to help them offset expenses any other business would have to pay.

trinity 4 years ago

two thumbs up to hollis, i remember when lawrence was like that and also the town i grew up in. was it wide white headband day for the female ots interviewees?

somedude20 4 years ago

and when they do it on a Monday!

kernal 4 years ago

Hollis pretty much said it all.

ylime3499 4 years ago

Th-Sat until 9pm, Sun. 5/6ish. I hate that by my working retail means I can't shop retail, and that there's no mall here! If you can't have one and want to try to be unique at least of hours that mimic one!

RoeDapple 4 years ago

Yup! Down where the electrical supply store is now. By the way, the lady behind the desk KNOWS her inventory! Many times I have needed an odd electrical part, described it and she goes into the warehouse and returns with exactly what I need.

Sigmund 4 years ago

Surely this Kommission has the power to simply order later nights for businesses or face stiff fines and additional taxes.

rockchalker52 4 years ago

Right on, Mr. Brown. You really got me thinkin' about all the comin's and goin's in downtown Lawrence. Duckwall's, Keilor's Bookstore (bought lotsa school supplies there), Ober's Men's Store, The Velvet Freeze, King of Jeans, Thompson's Furniture, A&P, Royal College, Mr Guy, Bill's Cafe, Ernie's Barbershop, The Icehouse (coldest watermelons ever), Johnson's Furniture, Drake's Cafe, John's Novelty, Litwin's, ...lots more but I can only handle the nostalgia in small waves.

clovis_sangrail 4 years ago

I cannot tell you how many times I have been sitting around at 8 or 9 o'clock at night and have thought to my selft, "You know what I would really like right now? A Jayhawk sweatshirt or a ball cap with greek letters or some new athletic shoes or maybe some chi-chi glass crap to put on my coffee table, or even a coffee table to put chi-chi glass crap on, but where, oh, where am I to find something like that with all of the downtown stores closed at this late hour?"

O, the agony, the angst, the humanity!

But I get over it pretty quickly.