Previous   Next

What do you think is the best kind of music to dance to?

Asked at Dillons, 3000 West Sixth St. on May 5, 2011

Browse the archives

“It would definitely probably be rap music. The music is more inviting to dance to.”

“Latin music and salsa.”

“Pop music and techno.”

“Hip hop, it’s always a good beat.”

Comments

Kenny Nall 4 years, 2 months ago

Indeed, old R & B and funk it is! James Brown, the Ronettes and anything on Stax like Sam & Dave. Throw in some afrobeat and you've got a real party.

grammaddy 4 years, 2 months ago

True! I've got boxed sets for most of those folks you listed. Give me the p-funk, gotta have that funk!

Bill Lee 4 years, 2 months ago

Blues based rock and roll. I prefer the uptempo stuff, but slow stuff has its place, too.

RoeDapple 4 years, 2 months ago

Anything played on an accordion. or a kazoo. Add a bonfire too. But keep the beer flowing. And no videos please. The last thing I want to do is remember it or have it show up on youtube.

RoeDapple 4 years, 2 months ago

Back in the '60's we would have sandbar parties. Big driftwood bonfires, sometimes someone would bring a tinny sounding transistor radio for music or on a good night somebody might have a guitar (and know how to play it!) Ah, the sounds of the sixties, never get tired of listening to them. Mostly though couples would bring a blanket and slip away to another part of the sandbar and do "The Hokey Pokey". Sometimes you could hear them.

grammaddy 4 years, 2 months ago

P-Funk. Anybody heard the new Bootsy Collins CD? It's da bomb!!

Ken Garner 4 years, 2 months ago

Bee Gees, John Travolta is my hero, pointing at the sky like that, still gives me goosebumps. Every time I here staying alive I can't help but break it down, no matter where I am, I got all the moves. I think Hollis would be proud, where is he?

Ken Garner 4 years, 2 months ago

O except when he hit Sissy, fn rhinestone cowboy.

Mary Darst 4 years, 2 months ago

You can buy one of those when you come to the Walnut River in September.

trinity 4 years, 2 months ago

khoomei throat singing. or pretty much anything my hubbs wails out on his Fender. :)

Kyle Neuer 4 years, 2 months ago

Soukous/Afrobeat. Throw in some old school funk and a nice blues shuffle. Add some Basie for spice.

RoeDapple 4 years, 2 months ago

"Alchohol does not improve your dancing, it just weakens your judgement." True. It also affects your ability to hear. Ever notice how loud you (I, we) have to talk to be understood when we imbibe? . . huh?

RoeDapple 4 years, 2 months ago

BS eighth album "I Need a Man". . . . but not me! Noooo . . .I didn't say it!

(Not that there's anythi . . .)

somedude20 4 years, 2 months ago

skinny puppy, the clash, black flag, the ramones, mojo nixon, gang of four, doa, buzzcocks, x, television, suicidal tendencies, sonic youth, flogging molly, social d, minutemen, misfits, dropkick murphys,bad brains, bad religion and barry manilow

somedude20 4 years, 2 months ago

Motley Crue, Whitesnake, Poison, Loudness, and Trixter

Mary Darst 4 years, 2 months ago

I am all over this Funk. I like hip-hop, too. Don't understand what they are saying, but it has a good beat.

RoeDapple 4 years, 2 months ago

"PS, is the guitar player wearing a diaper?"

. . depends . .

wmathews 4 years, 2 months ago

"What does Whitney dance to?"

somedude20 4 years, 2 months ago

Whitney likes to dance to loading zone announcements and airport messages

bad_dog 4 years, 2 months ago

Men Without Hats?

C'mon Whitney. Do the Safety Dance...

BTW, isn't Jonathan holding a "cougar"?

beatrice 4 years, 2 months ago

I thought Streisand's 8th album was "Smell the Glove."

Best music to dance to? Live music.

And Mr. First, nobody wants to dance with a lawyer anyway.

RoeDapple 4 years, 2 months ago

"My favorite response to this question will earn one person an autographed photo of Jonathan Kealing holding a mountain lion (may or may not be Photoshopped)."

I already have a picture of him standing next to a forked Escort hanging in a beautiful gold leaf frame! It's on the wall over my computer desk in momma's basement. Not autographed (yet) but I treasure it and keep it locked in the vault when I'm away from my desk. 'bout 2 hours/day.

Jonathan Kealing 4 years, 2 months ago

I'm not sure we can still be Facebook friends, Roe. :-)

RoeDapple 4 years, 2 months ago

That got my best chuckle of the day! May have to pop a pain pill now . .

;-)

FlintlockRifle 4 years, 2 months ago

Mr Checker, better known as "Chubby Checker" and the Twist----

RoeDapple 4 years, 2 months ago

wmathews (Whitney Mathews) says… "What does Whitney dance to?"

Found her! Third row up, fourth from the right!

You can just drop that picture off at Alvamar, Whit! I'll be there to pick up another bag of old golf balls this afternoon!

RoeDapple 4 years, 2 months ago

Well I'll be . . . Hollis an' me both be thinkin' "Riverdance" 'bout Whitney . . gotta be somethin' to it . .

RoeDapple 4 years, 2 months ago

"an autographed photo of Jonathan Kealing holding a mountain lion (may or may not be Photoshopped)."

I'm guessing most days he thinks he has a tiger by the tail . . .

gphawk89 4 years, 2 months ago

I'll dance to the song: Nah, nah, nah, nah; Nah, nah, nah, nah; Hey, hey, hey, goodbye. When Obama loses in 2012. (Duck! Here come the flames!)

rockchalker52 4 years, 2 months ago

Limbo is appropriate, dat be where she puts the diappeareded folk - in limbo.

LadyJ 4 years, 2 months ago

I actually have a video of Whitney and Jonathan singing and dancing. Psst, don't say anything about Whitney's singing, she's kind of sensitive about it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmU_Fq8NHc8&feature=related I think the two blue guys might be Roe and Autie but they can't talk about it.

Scott Morgan 4 years, 2 months ago

Best music to dance to? Can we dream? Cheap Trick loud in a huge free bar May '72 Rockford Illinois.

My old legs began twitching just thinking about it.

Katara 4 years, 2 months ago

Whitney dances to William Shatner's Greatest Hits. Duh. Who doesn't rock out to that?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvQwXOCKNLY http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1Ar79...

Except on Thursdays when she shakes her booty to Leonard Nimoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tk57tQ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjFJc4...

Katara 4 years, 2 months ago

Can I have a photo of a mountain lion holding Jonathan Kealing instead? Autographed by the mountain lion, of course.

ScottyMac 4 years, 1 month ago

Best music to dance to? Easy. Country & Western, baby.

wmathews 4 years, 1 month ago

I couldn't pick a favorite, so you all win the prize. It's extra special because JK is dressed like a leprechaun: https://skitch.com/jkealing/r6inx/kealingmountainlion

Richard Heckler 4 years, 1 month ago

Mike Finnegan, The Doors, Rolling Stones,Frankie Avalon,Supremes,Grateful Dead,Emmy Lou,Marshall Tucker,Amazing Rhythm Aces and plenty more.