Previous   Next

What kind of energy would you be most likely to invest in?

Asked at Dillons, 1015 West 23rd St. on March 23, 2011

Browse the archives

“Hydroelectric.”

“In this part of the U.S. I’d say wind.”

“Wind energy. It’s clean, renewable and abundant here. It’s why I moved to Kansas.”

“Hydroelectric probably.”

Comments

75x55 3 years ago

Oil. Followed by a national priority for exploration, assessment and development of thorium resources.

overplayedhistory 3 years, 1 month ago

Fat farm bicycle powered alternators.

overplayedhistory 3 years, 1 month ago

Fat farm bicycle powered alternators.

Mary Darst 3 years, 1 month ago

I would LOVE to have a windmill. Just how cool would that be. I'd help autie with the Patchouli production. My flavor of choice.

gl0ck0wn3r 3 years, 1 month ago

Define invest. If the question is financial, oil and coal are still unbeatable. The big oil companies will probably remain unbeatable into the near future even if personal vehicles transition away from gasoline and into a fuel source that requires gasoline-like distribution networks. Nuclear is a distant third for investing. Other "clean energy" companies are interesting but really not developed enough for investment unless one is prepared to wait and take quite a bit of risk. Take a look at PEIX just for fun. Look at the five-year chart. Now overlay XOM. Enjoy.

jumpin_catfish 3 years, 1 month ago

Cold Fusion! Worked great in Back to the Future.

HollisBrown 3 years, 1 month ago

If the first guy, Fred Durst, says hydroelectric, then I say hydroelectric.

strongarmcrunch 3 years, 1 month ago

There are now clothes that generate energy from your own movements. I L O V E this idea.

strongarmcrunch 3 years, 1 month ago

Why don't we find a way to place generators on the KU fan base here about this time of the year? There is a lot of un-tapped energy to be accessed with this phenomenon.

strongarmcrunch 3 years, 1 month ago

Free energy, ... ...so that people don't pay for energy at all! Cut out the energy corporations Completely (!), and make the contraption easy for everyone to build. http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=steven+mark+solid+state+generator&aq=1

Geothermal. Solar, which is already making rapid and clear-cut advancements at a stunning speed.

Always keep the energy generation at the end user, and no one else!

Multidisciplinary 3 years, 1 month ago

My housekeeper's. She'll be here in a couple of hours. Hope she's wound up to last a few. The cat's been testing gravity regularly around here,(which appears to be pulling things to ground level efficiently, so I'd say sticking to earth seems likely this month) and I've had to put out barricades and cones on most pathways. Bouncing off the walls he's been..must be spring or somethin'.

jonas_opines 3 years, 1 month ago

Keystrokes from over-reactive and angry Internet bloggers.

sciencegeek 3 years, 1 month ago

Whatever can't be controlled by utility companies for their own profit.

g_rock 3 years, 1 month ago

Energy drinks and hamsters on wheels. Or maybe bobcats on treadmills.

Marty_McFly 3 years, 1 month ago

The Mr. Fusion Home Energy Reactor.

kernal 3 years, 1 month ago

Wind and solar. Can't expect to use just one as we'll always need an alternative as back up.

tomatogrower 3 years, 1 month ago

I'm saving up to put solar panels on my house. They are coming down in price, so it might be a reality someday soon.

somedude20 3 years, 1 month ago

somedude20 3 years, 1 month ago

Pure energy...I want to know what you are thinking tell me what is on your mind! www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPuXvpkOLmM

nut_case 3 years, 1 month ago

Interesting the push seems to be toward 'hydro' and wind. I am not knocking them, but do people just assume these are the 'cleanest' forms of energy? Or are they just willing to put up with destroying ecosystems behind a dam, changing/killing fish migration patterns and the relatively short life before everything silts up for hydro? Or taking a natural vista of rolling hills and plopping hundreds, if not thousands of ugly wind turbines on top?

I think of what trouble we've had to pave over a few dozen acres of swamp to complete the bypass. What of flooding 10's of thousands of acres behind a dam, and building thousands of dams? Or covering hundreds of thousands of acres in wind turbines?

For my .02, I would like to see enough work put into the Bussard / Polywell fusion reactor to either prove it is possible (and build it), or prove it is completely impossible and abandon it.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 3 years, 1 month ago

Whoops.. cleaned up... Energy sources in terms of deaths per terawatt-hour. Oil.......................36 Coal – USA..........15 Natural Gas...........4 Biofuel/Biomass...12 Peat....................12 Hydro...................1.4 Solar....................0.44 Wind....................0.15 Nuclear.................0.04

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 3 years, 1 month ago

Looking at energy sources and deaths per terawatt-hour, here is how various energy sources stack up.

Oil.......................36
Coal – USA..........15 Natural Gas...........4
Biofuel/Biomass...12 Peat....................12 Hydro...................1.4 Solar....................0.44 Wind....................0.15 Hydro...................0.10 Hydro...................1.4 Nuclear.................0.04

Dixie Jones 3 years, 1 month ago

The Energy my kid has .......

Kontum1972 3 years, 1 month ago

clean reusable human gass.....it burns......ouch!

Liberty_One 3 years, 1 month ago

Which energy does the government give the most regulatory protection and subsidies to? Oh wait, that's all of them....

sallyone 3 years, 1 month ago

Nuclear! Contrary to what the media and the left wing nut case would have you believe, it is the safest means of power out there!

Bill Lee 3 years, 1 month ago

I don't have the energy to invest.

July1960 3 years, 1 month ago

Hydrogen a BIG yes-and then some solar and using the Hydro would probably be good also. Wind power is OK but slow to produce!!!!! But nothing will ever change,this is America ,Home of the strange-Money talks and the guy with what comes out his cows walks. So just hang in there,maybe someday the folks with the money will wake up??? Could use hemp,it does reproduce??But if you burn it ,it probably pollutes!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RoeDapple 3 years, 1 month ago

Hydrogen/electric conversion.

Pitt_Mackeson 3 years, 1 month ago

I have a herd of cattle..... so methane? yes methane. Even though it's quite smelly. I'll be rich! And smelly.