Previous   Next

What kind of energy would you be most likely to invest in?

Asked at Dillons, 1015 West 23rd St. on March 23, 2011

Browse the archives

“Hydroelectric.”

“In this part of the U.S. I’d say wind.”

“Wind energy. It’s clean, renewable and abundant here. It’s why I moved to Kansas.”

“Hydroelectric probably.”

Comments

Pitt_Mackeson 4 years ago

I have a herd of cattle..... so methane? yes methane. Even though it's quite smelly. I'll be rich! And smelly.

Bill Lee 4 years ago

I don't have the energy to invest.

sallyone 4 years ago

Nuclear! Contrary to what the media and the left wing nut case would have you believe, it is the safest means of power out there!

mr_right_wing 4 years ago

I gave up on arguing nuclear on here....

superstition and ignorance abound in this area for most; and they have no interest in actually educating themselves on the technology available for today's nuclear.

For most of them, we're still in the 1970s at best!! Nuclear is still the evil, scary boogie man!

gccs14r 4 years ago

The problem with using spent fuel as fuel is that the waste product lasts even longer than depleted uranium and plutonium. We're wondering how to store waste for 25,000 years. How will we store it for 15 million years?

lounger 4 years ago

Tell that to the 400,00 plus evacuated people of Japan- And to the Ocean creatures who will mutate in years to come-And the poor infants who cannot drink the water in Tokyo- And so on and so on and so on and so on. Safe is an awful big word to use when talking about nuclear. Its fast becoming old hat and waaaaaaay to dangerous-no matter how you spin it!

Kontum1972 4 years ago

clean reusable human gass.....it burns......ouch!

labmonkey 4 years ago

Do the biomass deaths include people who Dutch-oven themselves to death?

matchbox81 4 years ago

Source? How the heck does solar and wind cause any deaths?

nut_case 4 years ago

Interesting the push seems to be toward 'hydro' and wind. I am not knocking them, but do people just assume these are the 'cleanest' forms of energy? Or are they just willing to put up with destroying ecosystems behind a dam, changing/killing fish migration patterns and the relatively short life before everything silts up for hydro? Or taking a natural vista of rolling hills and plopping hundreds, if not thousands of ugly wind turbines on top?

I think of what trouble we've had to pave over a few dozen acres of swamp to complete the bypass. What of flooding 10's of thousands of acres behind a dam, and building thousands of dams? Or covering hundreds of thousands of acres in wind turbines?

For my .02, I would like to see enough work put into the Bussard / Polywell fusion reactor to either prove it is possible (and build it), or prove it is completely impossible and abandon it.

somedude20 4 years ago

Pure energy...I want to know what you are thinking tell me what is on your mind! www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPuXvpkOLmM

somedude20 4 years ago

Those messages were hardly offensive. Go take your luch break and chill out!!!

somedude20 4 years ago

labmonkey 4 years ago

somedude20 4 years ago

tomatogrower 4 years ago

I'm saving up to put solar panels on my house. They are coming down in price, so it might be a reality someday soon.

kernal 4 years ago

Wind and solar. Can't expect to use just one as we'll always need an alternative as back up.

Marty_McFly 4 years ago

The Mr. Fusion Home Energy Reactor.

sciencegeek 4 years ago

Whatever can't be controlled by utility companies for their own profit.

jonas_opines 4 years ago

Keystrokes from over-reactive and angry Internet bloggers.

RoeDapple 4 years ago

Are you outa yer mind! The world isn't ready for that kind of power!!

strongarmcrunch 4 years ago

Free energy, ... ...so that people don't pay for energy at all! Cut out the energy corporations Completely (!), and make the contraption easy for everyone to build. http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=steven+mark+solid+state+generator&aq=1

Geothermal. Solar, which is already making rapid and clear-cut advancements at a stunning speed.

Always keep the energy generation at the end user, and no one else!

Flap Doodle 4 years ago

Do you also have a link to video of the Steven Mark 1,000 mpg carb?

strongarmcrunch 4 years ago

I was thinking that too. Just how far can this contraction go. Just need to get the research done. Will it be done at KU? I doubt it.

roadwarrior 4 years ago

second that, geothermal and energy generation with the end user.

strongarmcrunch 4 years ago

Why don't we find a way to place generators on the KU fan base here about this time of the year? There is a lot of un-tapped energy to be accessed with this phenomenon.

strongarmcrunch 4 years ago

There are now clothes that generate energy from your own movements. I L O V E this idea.

somedude20 4 years ago

after all, he did do it for the nookie so you can eat your cookie

jumpin_catfish 4 years ago

Cold Fusion! Worked great in Back to the Future.

gl0ck0wn3r 4 years ago

Define invest. If the question is financial, oil and coal are still unbeatable. The big oil companies will probably remain unbeatable into the near future even if personal vehicles transition away from gasoline and into a fuel source that requires gasoline-like distribution networks. Nuclear is a distant third for investing. Other "clean energy" companies are interesting but really not developed enough for investment unless one is prepared to wait and take quite a bit of risk. Take a look at PEIX just for fun. Look at the five-year chart. Now overlay XOM. Enjoy.

Mary Darst 4 years ago

I would LOVE to have a windmill. Just how cool would that be. I'd help autie with the Patchouli production. My flavor of choice.