Previous   Next

What’s the first thing that comes to mind when you think of St. Patrick’s Day?

Asked at Dillons, 1015 West 23rd St. on March 17, 2011

Browse the archives

“Green I guess is the easy one.”

“I’m Native American, so a lot of Caucasians wearing green and being crazy.”

“Just people bursting out and being happy.”

“Green beer.”

Comments

Pitt_Mackeson 4 years, 1 month ago

I want to be Ron when I grow up; awesome sunglasses, sick beard, beer......

RoeDapple 4 years, 1 month ago

Everybody thinks they're Irish today. Even My Native American friends.

RoeDapple 4 years, 1 month ago

Wow, saying "Irish" kinda feels like I'm getting away with something. Like saying "damn" or "hell" in church when I was 11 years old. I look forward now to April 29 . . . Arbor Day . . .

ranger73 4 years, 1 month ago

corned beef and cabbage! mmmmmmmmmmm makes a person a little gassy though...

Clevercowgirl 4 years, 1 month ago

Why on earth anyone would take their children to a parade in which:

1. The streets are lined with drunks; and
  2. The parade starts at a strip club.

Cait McKnelly 4 years, 1 month ago

Actually, hon, it's worse. The parade starts at a park and ends at a strip club. And their "queen" is chosen in that very same strip club.

mikeydku13 4 years, 1 month ago

Ohhhh relax u two! Its NOT like the kids r goin in their to watch nor is the queen a stripper! That's the one place following a parade route through downtown and N. Lawrence that accomodates enough room for everyone to turn around and just end things.... Isn't Lawrence supposed to be some liberal town that encourages homelessness and raggidy hair and bad hygiene??? What's wrong with a darn parade ending at a bar??? Hmmmmm? JUST SAYING....

pace 4 years ago

It is better than when they started at the bar, drinking and driving floats, bad.

Kris_H 4 years, 1 month ago

Corned beef and cabbage and of course potatoes. You can cook the corned beef in Guiness but make sure you have plenty left for you.

Also, Druids. :)

Cait McKnelly 4 years, 1 month ago

The only thing the Lawrence parade has to do with "St Patrick" is the name. Substitute that with "Green Beer and Plastic Beads Day" and you'd have some accuracy. That said, I don't begrudge Lawrence it's giddy spring bacchanal. Have fun guys. To actually answer the MOTS question; I think of white lace and green satin, followed closely by a thatched roof cottage and the scent of a peat fire. (Nothing smells like a peat fire.)

Mary Darst 4 years, 1 month ago

Is that like, Who comes out at Halloween? Jack and Jackie O' Lantern

mr_right_wing 4 years, 1 month ago

Mike Murphy riding the garbage truck in the KC parade.............if he still even does that.

(WHAT!?!?!?)

Incidentally....you are only supposed to wear a 'kiss me I'm Irish' t-shirt if you are an unattractive person...that's part of the whole joke. I don't have one of those shirts myself, but sure...I qualify (to wear one)!! Beautiful people...don't wear those shirts....whatcha gonna do when someone comes up and says "ok!! pucker up baby!!" defeats the whole purpose.

mr_right_wing 4 years, 1 month ago

Wow....'legend' to say the least. Thanks.

Scott Drummond 4 years, 1 month ago

Agreed. Raised a glass or two in his honor. Great man.

BigPrune 4 years, 1 month ago

Green beer and waiting for the green p** (that never happens).

Sheryl Wiggins 4 years, 1 month ago

the first thing I think of of is that I was just there in January and would give nearly anything to go back. secondly; feck, I'd kill for a Guinness 3.Cead mille failte! D. ni bheidh mo leithed aris ann

that's it for now -Finn McCool

Cait McKnelly 4 years, 1 month ago

Send a pog mo thion on the way out of the door Finn :)

Cait McKnelly 4 years, 1 month ago

This comment (rather apt) from a friend: "St. Patrick's day in America- a day when both non Irish and non Catholics wear lots of green and get drunk. It's sort of like MLK day being celebrated by wearing blackface and drinking malt liquor and eating fried chicken."

Deja Coffin 4 years, 1 month ago

All I can think about today is finishing up the cupcakes for a friend's party. The cupcakes: Guinness Cupcakes with Bailey's Irish Cream and Jameson Whiskey Frosting! Happy St. Patty's Day!!

Verdad 4 years, 1 month ago

I think of Agnostick dancing down Mass Street in a green tutu.

Seriously though, I think of my old "friend" Mike Murphy riding the garbage truck. RIP Mke

LadyJ 4 years, 1 month ago

Irish Step Dancing. Heard this one on the radio today- What do you call the buildings the Irish little folk live in? A Leprechaundo.

pissedinlawrence 4 years, 1 month ago

So according to Dorcella Rowland's statement, Native Americans don't celebrate St patricks day?

squarepusher 4 years, 1 month ago

She said, "A lot" of Caucasians, not all.

I personally would have said, "A lot of dumb asses" (noting the vandalous drunks), so that would have included all race groups.

squarepusher 4 years, 1 month ago

Not traditionally. I think it's an acquired taste.

TopJayhawk 4 years, 1 month ago

You forgot green pee from the green beer

TopJayhawk 4 years, 1 month ago

Bangers and Mash.

and to the Native-American lady. You too are a caucasian. 'Bout time you learn that.

squarepusher 4 years, 1 month ago

Really? Is that necessary? Great comment, until you got to the end of your first sentence.

pizzapete 4 years, 1 month ago

Inexperienced drinkers filling up the bars and puking all over themselves.

squarepusher 4 years, 1 month ago

A lot of people skipping class or calling in sick, or both. End result? Fun. It's good medicine, unless you're a drinker.

GSWtotheheart 4 years ago

wearing of the green drinking of the green smoking of the green puking of the green

(I can't take credit for that...heard it on KY 102 years ago and it stuck with me ever since!) LOL

pace 4 years ago

I was a freshman, went down town and there were pools of green vomit, I never liked the heavy drinking holidays.