Previous   Next

Would you ever want to attend graduate school?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on March 16, 2011

Browse the archives

“I already am, for social welfare.”

“Yes. I would like to attend law school.”

“I’m in it for architecture.”

“I’d love to do something with film school.”

Comments

bearded_gnome 3 years, 1 month ago

LadyJ (anonymous) replies …

When my daughter was finishing up at KU she applied at several graduate schools around the country. The head of the department at KU assumed since she applied at KU she was going there and was upset she wasn't. But since they didn't offer any money and the other schools offered money plus benefits, she followed the money. If KU wants to keep the best, they should be competitive.

---well said.

see above: ... but is the Pope giving his brackets on ESPN while dithering about saving lives in Libya?

and what kinda jinx is it for KU that Mr. Obama picks us to win #1???

none2 3 years, 1 month ago

For 7 years in college (2 in a junior college, and 5 at KU), I have an associates degree and two bachelor degrees. It was my own fault for taking so long as I had no clue what I wanted to do. So I ended up switching majors and taking longer.

I LOVED school. If someone paid me a salary to go to school the rest of my life, I'd gladly to it. A few years ago, I took some classes in a totally different field from my current degrees and employment. Both my employer & my grades weren't what they should have been as I was stretched too thin. I cannot afford to be a dedicated, full time student. So I don't see going for an advanced degree or another degree.

My only advice is if you LOVE school and CAN afford it, go for it.

g_rock 3 years, 1 month ago

OMG who let the lawyers multiply?

sputum 3 years, 1 month ago

Graduate degree in Social Welfare? Seems like lots of folks these days would be handed those as honorary degrees.

autie 3 years, 1 month ago

Whatever happened to White Owl?

Hong_Kong_Phooey 3 years, 1 month ago

I have an advanced degree... and the six-figure debt to accompany it. My advice to anyone thinking of pursuing an advanced degree, or even a bachelor's degree of some sort, is to really put some thought into it. Not only should one think about what one wants to get out of the degree, but what the cost of achieving it will be. It is far too costly to pursue a degree "just because it's interesting."

What will your monthly loan payments look like? Remember that you will be paying them for about 30 years.

What are the employment rates in that field, and is it likely you will get a job? Don't trust the employment percentages provided by the schools - they are frequently doctored so as to provide the best employment percentage possible for the rankings.

Is the field expanding, stagnant, or collapsing? For example, the NY Times ran an article several months ago in which it showed that the number of legal jobs has decreased, yet, at the same time, the number of law school graduates has increased - about 45,000 new law school grads flood the market every year - which means that the market is saturated.

Finally, remember that student loans cannot be discharged. Ever.

In retrospect, I should have been a carpenter or furniture-maker.

Liberty_One 3 years, 1 month ago

No, I would never go back. Huge waste of money. Don't do it, kids.

Majestic42 3 years, 1 month ago

Hehe. The story above this one in the "Top Stories" box was "Waste of Time." Coincidence? I think not.

The_Original_Bob 3 years, 1 month ago

"Yup, thats what I have always thought about tournament pools but I play anyway."

Thanks again for funding my kid's college education, Autie.

autie 3 years, 1 month ago

" Then I realized it was just a scam to get more dollars from me"

Yup, thats what I have always thought about tournament pools but I play anyway.

thepianoman 3 years, 1 month ago

Have a B.A. and haven't gotten any use out of it still. My advice to young people: Don't rush into college. Take time to explore your interests and ambitions. Don't throw yourself into a sea of student loan debt just because you feel pressure from society to "go to college." These days, it's not for everyone. There are other options out there!!

The_Original_Bob 3 years, 1 month ago

I went to Grad school. I found that college became easier the more I went. Then I realized it was just a scam to get more dollars from me.

prospector 3 years, 1 month ago

autie, I am sure it has the pope in a tizzy over who to cheer for.

JayhawkAlum03 3 years, 1 month ago

Going back for grad school was probably one of the best decisions I've ever made. Added a few dollars to my student loans, but also added to my salary. Wish I had the funds to go back for a few more degrees, though!

autie 3 years, 1 month ago

There is a first round match up in the tournament with Marquette playing Xavier. Who will Jesus cheer for in that one?

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 3 years, 1 month ago

Do they even call it the China Syndrome in Japan, or is it called the Brazil Syndrome. I am spinning my globe, and that is what I think they should call it.
The Brazil Syndrome.

prospector 3 years, 1 month ago

Can I get a PHD in beer making?

I have one in beer drinking.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 3 years, 1 month ago

Do you realize that The China Syndrome was released 32 years ago today?

Esq2eB 3 years, 1 month ago

Already have done it twice, so yes I would, but no, not again.

newmedia 3 years, 1 month ago

Certainly if it was a guarantee to career advancement.

autie 3 years, 1 month ago

I would love to be a grad student. Momma say I'm too old now. She says we need to concentrate on the princess being a grad student. My kid is a wonderful human being and wants to become horrble, horrible person.

aha 3 years, 1 month ago

i already did. started in Aug '09. will finish in June '11.

HollisBrown 3 years, 1 month ago

Only if Mrs. Robinson is there. Yes, I'd like to go to law school to figure out how to get on welfare. Or if I passed the bar, I could prey on people on welfare.

RoeDapple 3 years, 1 month ago

Thanks but no. Certainly glad some of the cuzins have though . . .

Bill Lee 3 years, 1 month ago

I've considered it, but I don't think it's going to happen.

bearded_gnome 3 years, 1 month ago

did that, was generally a very good experience. best part: working with fellow students and profs who actually are interested in the topics, the work!

besides ... who wants to know? you handing me $90K so I can go again?

notanota 3 years, 1 month ago

I've already been, but I think I'll pile it higher and deeper one of these days.

notajayhawk 3 years, 1 month ago

Again? Sure, why not, it was fun the first coupla' times.

labmonkey 3 years, 1 month ago

I guess the three dudes don't actually want a job when they get out.