Previous   Next

Would you ever want to attend graduate school?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on March 16, 2011

Browse the archives

“I already am, for social welfare.”

“Yes. I would like to attend law school.”

“I’m in it for architecture.”

“I’d love to do something with film school.”

Comments

labmonkey 3 years, 9 months ago

I guess the three dudes don't actually want a job when they get out.

notajayhawk 3 years, 9 months ago

Again? Sure, why not, it was fun the first coupla' times.

notanota 3 years, 9 months ago

I've already been, but I think I'll pile it higher and deeper one of these days.

bearded_gnome 3 years, 9 months ago

did that, was generally a very good experience. best part: working with fellow students and profs who actually are interested in the topics, the work!

besides ... who wants to know? you handing me $90K so I can go again?

LadyJ 3 years, 9 months ago

When my daughter was finishing up at KU she applied at several graduate schools around the country. The head of the department at KU assumed since she applied at KU she was going there and was upset she wasn't. But since they didn't offer any money and the other schools offered money plus benefits, she followed the money. If KU wants to keep the best, they should be competitive.

Cai 3 years, 9 months ago

It depends somewhat, on the department in which she was applying.

Psychology, Engineering, Biology, Social Welfare ; All of these offer different packages and under different circumstances.

So one no money offer doesn't necessarily imply that all of KU is failing.

LadyJ 3 years, 9 months ago

Maybe KU just doesn't pay in that field. 11 other schools seem to think so.

Take_a_letter_Maria 3 years, 9 months ago

Found the same thing in the undergrad area. Local kid, top 5% in his high school class, 35 on ACT, state scholar, yadda, yadda.

Congrats - you've been invited to join our honors program and receive a whole $1,000/year (not even semester) from KU.

Mizzou and K-State offered more...........

notanota 3 years, 9 months ago

Good for her. That's the general rule for grad school. If they're not paying you to go, it's probably not worth attending. Med school would be a notable exception.

In my case, I get tuition reimbursement and didn't have to quit my job, but if that had not been the case, I'd have only attended a school that gave me a GA position or grant of some sort. KU offers such things, so maybe it's just that department that isn't competitive.

Bill Lee 3 years, 9 months ago

I've considered it, but I don't think it's going to happen.

RoeDapple 3 years, 9 months ago

Thanks but no. Certainly glad some of the cuzins have though . . .

aha 3 years, 9 months ago

i already did. started in Aug '09. will finish in June '11.

newmedia 3 years, 9 months ago

Certainly if it was a guarantee to career advancement.

JayhawkAlum03 3 years, 9 months ago

Going back for grad school was probably one of the best decisions I've ever made. Added a few dollars to my student loans, but also added to my salary. Wish I had the funds to go back for a few more degrees, though!

thepianoman 3 years, 9 months ago

Have a B.A. and haven't gotten any use out of it still. My advice to young people: Don't rush into college. Take time to explore your interests and ambitions. Don't throw yourself into a sea of student loan debt just because you feel pressure from society to "go to college." These days, it's not for everyone. There are other options out there!!

Majestic42 3 years, 9 months ago

Hehe. The story above this one in the "Top Stories" box was "Waste of Time." Coincidence? I think not.

Hong_Kong_Phooey 3 years, 9 months ago

I have an advanced degree... and the six-figure debt to accompany it. My advice to anyone thinking of pursuing an advanced degree, or even a bachelor's degree of some sort, is to really put some thought into it. Not only should one think about what one wants to get out of the degree, but what the cost of achieving it will be. It is far too costly to pursue a degree "just because it's interesting."

What will your monthly loan payments look like? Remember that you will be paying them for about 30 years.

What are the employment rates in that field, and is it likely you will get a job? Don't trust the employment percentages provided by the schools - they are frequently doctored so as to provide the best employment percentage possible for the rankings.

Is the field expanding, stagnant, or collapsing? For example, the NY Times ran an article several months ago in which it showed that the number of legal jobs has decreased, yet, at the same time, the number of law school graduates has increased - about 45,000 new law school grads flood the market every year - which means that the market is saturated.

Finally, remember that student loans cannot be discharged. Ever.

In retrospect, I should have been a carpenter or furniture-maker.

sweetiepie 3 years, 9 months ago

I totally, wholly, completely agree! I have enormous student loan debt and no way to ever pay it off. Think it over, people, before making the investment. You might be very, very sorry (and KU laughs all the way to the bank!).

Take_a_letter_Maria 3 years, 9 months ago

You mean after he was banned from campus and had the restraining order issued against him?

bearded_gnome 3 years, 9 months ago

LadyJ (anonymous) replies …

---well said.

see above: ... but is the Pope giving his brackets on ESPN while dithering about saving lives in Libya?

and what kinda jinx is it for KU that Mr. Obama picks us to win #1???