Previous   Next

What would do you with more daylight hours?

Asked at Dillons, 1015 West 23rd St. on March 12, 2011

Browse the archives

“Learn how to install a hard drive on my laptop.”

“Go to Clinton Lake or a park.”

“Get out and try to walk my dog.”

“Get out there and exercise and enjoy the weather.”

Comments

tomatogrower 3 years, 1 month ago

I know the sun is going to go down later today. Could someone come inside long enough to fix the headline on this story?

Deja Coffin 3 years, 1 month ago

I'm hoping that this time switch will fool the baby into sleeping in a little later. Then maybe I'll be able to get a little more done in the morning before he wakes up. That or I'll at least have 30 minutes to myself with my coffee and ljworld.com

RoeDapple 3 years, 1 month ago

Alright, tomatogrower, catch of the day! What would do me? I told the doc recently, if I was given the choice of a lobster dinner or sex I may have to think about it. He said if I hesitate at all I better choose the lobster . . .

RoeDapple 3 years, 1 month ago

My old grandpappy always said "First liar never stands a chance!" So much for relying on a google search.

I bow before the great and powerful Hollis. Long may he reign.

Tony Kisner 3 years, 1 month ago

I am going to use the time to think of ways the landed class can help my fellow man.

CWGOKU 3 years, 1 month ago

Um... Yes, not sure about the Nam part, but yes to the rest. Sorry Roe. I prefer DST, but would settle for one or the other, I detest changing the times twice a year. Beautiful day, I'm outta here

HollisBrown 3 years, 1 month ago

Fun fact: The idea was first floated back in 1784 by one Benjamin Franklin. While minister of France he wrote the essay "An Economical Project for Diminishing the Cost of Light." The idea failed to see the light of day until practically 100 years later, when the U.S. railroads instituted a standardized time for their train schedules. That time change was imposed nationally during the first World War to conserve energy, but was repealed after the war ended. It became the national time again during World War II.

Fun Fact: That deviant commie Ben Frankin had syphilis and he also worked for the Post Office. Plus, he started that war in 'Nam.

HollisBrown 3 years, 1 month ago

Put it in my pocket. Then I'd have a pocketful of sunshine.

emily_litella 3 years, 1 month ago

I'm going to be praying for the people of Japan. I heard their worried about meltdowns now. I thought I was going to have a meltdown once, but I took some medicine.

Chris Ogle 3 years, 1 month ago

Finally, a good reason for DST..... “Learn how to install a hard drive on my laptop.”

Pitt_Mackeson 3 years, 1 month ago

I don't know. Probably eat more. And poop more. I have a pooping problem. I poop too much.

tomatogrower 3 years, 1 month ago

Proofread the title to this article.

Mary Darst 3 years, 1 month ago

I love the change. I hate to come home after work in the dark. It makes me feel like the day is over. I would like it all year long.

Ksgirl2000 3 years, 1 month ago

DST does not increase the number of light hours. It enables conservation of energy as it allows daytime ran business' to utilize hours naturally lit by the sun and not waste energy. It just messes up our natural internal clocks and causes us to readjust our daily life schedule!

none2 3 years, 1 month ago

I LOVE daylight saving time. It is too bad they just don't make it year round. Unfortunately, anti-DST fanatics are all about dead children under school buses in the dark, teenagers with hormones causing them to learn less in the morning, cows utters that are upset, and they would probably claim that even UFO's are more sinister during DST.

Of course if business hours (standard working hours) started much earlier than we would have no need for DST, but lots of people would rather sleep in than get up and go to work.

thuja 3 years, 1 month ago

Good thing you shaved your kitty.

g_rock 3 years, 1 month ago

More time to spend on the beach with a fruity cocktail! yay!

blindrabbit 3 years, 1 month ago

Something tells me Sue needs to adjust her priorities!

prospector 3 years, 1 month ago

Migrate north, staying out of town.

prospector 3 years, 1 month ago

Save it for December and January.

indrid_cold 3 years, 1 month ago

More lesson planning, in anticipation of twilight.

Boosh 3 years, 1 month ago

@Sue

It's not hard you just need the proper tools. Start with a hammer and chisel to open the case and gain access to the drive. Then use a small to medium pry bar to remove the old hdd. To install the new one, take your hammer and gently, gently pound that sucka in. . . . . . . Sorry...I've been misinformed...ignore my advice. But I've a question...why do you need more daylight to do that?

Flap Doodle 3 years, 1 month ago

Do we really have to keep growing vegetables to help defeat the Kaiser?

blindrabbit 3 years, 1 month ago

For people working a regular daylight job who also enjoy working and playing outdoors, it is the greatest day of the year. For those not so inclined, it has no real effect other than adjusting their circadian rhythm somewhat and griping about a loss of sleep. The original purpose of DST is inconsequential, but the impact on our social lives is huge. Yahoo!

thebcman 3 years, 1 month ago

I would fix that hole where the rain gets in. It stops my mind from wandering.

RoeDapple 3 years, 1 month ago

You guys are making my skull hurt . .

autie 3 years, 1 month ago

I would sell golf balls down by the river. Maybe start up a kayak repair service.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 3 years, 1 month ago

Spend more time down by the river with guns and golf balls.

FlintlockRifle 3 years, 1 month ago

Hey Roe, in your blaming you forgot ole George Bush, good job man----

Nikki May 3 years, 1 month ago

Be at the baseball/softball field longer. Last night before 7, the boys could barely see people. Next week at 7, I'm sure will be MUCH better.

RoeDapple 3 years, 1 month ago

George Vernon Hudson came up with the idea of Daylight Savings Time in 1895. It has been used in different forms by countries worldwide since then. I blame the extra hour of daylight for global warming, earthquakes and hurricanes. God Hates DST!!

Bill Lee 3 years, 1 month ago

Deec is almost right. DST doesn't increase the amount of daylight, it just shifts the time of it. Summer days do have more daylight than winter days do, however. I like to spend the extra hours of summer daylight scopin' babes.

Gandalf 3 years, 1 month ago

Close the blinds so it dosen't interfere with my sleep!

deec 3 years, 1 month ago

There is no extra hour of daylight. It's a scam. Each day has X number of hours of daylight. Changing the clock does nothing but mess up everyone's circadian rhythms. What's-his-name hates threading. I hate daylight savings time!