Previous   Next

What’s the loneliest job you’ve ever had?

Asked at Dillons, 1740 Massachusetts St. on March 7, 2011

Browse the archives

“I worked in a marina during the winter. That was pretty lonely.”

“I worked in a library but it wasn’t as lonely as I would have liked.”

“I was a hostess at Ole Tapas, which used to be a restaurant on Mass. Street. I was the only high school student. All the college students had a lot in common and I didn’t have anything to talk to them about.”

Comments

beeshlii 3 years, 1 month ago

cooking for and serving inmates, and i was one of them........lol...

pace 3 years, 1 month ago

I sat in an office in a 40 square block of empty buildings and homes in Wichita. I liked it.

BigPrune 3 years, 1 month ago

Working on the interior of a house in the middle of the night with the occasional mysterious laughter coming from the darkened basement. Scary and lonely, especially when on the last night, ready to walk out the door, I called out for the ghost to show itself and the only remaining light that was on blew out immediately, leaving me in total darkness.

riverdrifter 3 years, 1 month ago

In January, 1980 I was a station clerk for Santa Fe Railway. I was laid off but they had a temporary vacancy as station agent in Skull Valley, Arizona, about 80 miles northwest of Phoenix. I took it. The old depot is now like a museum or something. I'd guess they don't have to shoot sidewinders coming up through the flooring with .22 birdshot anymore.

lee66049 3 years, 1 month ago

Overnight radio DJ soft rock station. Now that is lonely

Kyle Neuer 3 years, 1 month ago

Night watchman at the Bowersock hydroelectric plant/Kansas Color Press paper warehouse. Pretty creepy.

Deja Coffin 3 years, 1 month ago

Being a stockroom in a factory where all the other employees were from Laos and spoke Lao all day which I was convinced went something like, "oh look at the little white girl over there.... she's so dumb....."

Mike Edson 3 years, 1 month ago

Working for Cellular One in one of their many large call center cube farms. Watching that business crumble was so very satisfying.

blue73harley 3 years, 1 month ago

My term as president of the Sven Alstrom Fan Club.

Gandalf 3 years, 1 month ago

Lonely women make beautiful lovers

HollisBrown 3 years, 1 month ago

There was a year or so when I was a mercenary, defending the borders of Sweden. Now that was lonely and boring. I didn't even get to use my throwing stars.

Kontum1972 3 years, 1 month ago

BenHet / Dak To SF Camp/Kontum...defending the bases from the little bad guys...

Pywacket 3 years, 1 month ago

Well, there were those decades as an Andalusian sheepherder, when sometimes I didn't see another human being for weeks at a time as the woolies grazed the high country.... Or maybe when I was a lighthouse keeper on the coast of Newfoundland--icebound in winter for months on end... Of course, for sheer loneliness, it would be hard to beat the years of banishment to Outer Mongolia for political agitation... Spent most of the time keeping the yurt warm and hunting for my next meal.

Wait--are we talking about THIS lifetime?

ohjayhawk 3 years, 1 month ago

Cleaning out the frozen food cases at a supermarket with a power washer. Usually took from 7PM-2am on a Sunday night/Monday morning.There were night stockers in the store, but no where near where I was working.

remember_username 3 years, 1 month ago

The Few...the Proud...the Lonely...

The USMC, stateside California, late 60's - early 70's full-on anti-war fervor. All that free love and nothing but scorn for a guy with a buzz cut. Oh well, made up for lost time in the 80's.

HollisBrown 3 years, 1 month ago

I would be honored to receive that kind of message from Mark. He should also be the first person of interest in any future serial killer cases.

RoeDapple 3 years, 1 month ago

Hollis - Mark Z. sent me a pm. "Roe, you are boring. Go away, please! AAArrrrggggghhhhh!!"

HollisBrown 3 years, 1 month ago

I had a data entry job once. I might as well have been alone. I have never worked with a bigger group of socially inept people in my life. But I got to listen to my MP3 player all day. Some food for thought: Facebook was founded by a creepy egomaniac with absolutely no social skills. In fact, he fits the model of a sociopath. So here he is, monitoring your life while collecting all kinds of private information and selling your demograhics to corporate advertisers. Is that really something you want to be involved in?

Agnostick 3 years, 1 month ago

Seasonal data entry at IRS... 6pm-2am. Surrounded by people... all compartmentalized by dividers and personal cassette players.

Good second job, though!

prospector 3 years, 1 month ago

Where is Paul Harvey with "The rest... of the story"?

Free State Brewery, 636 Mass., is filled as patrons watch a KU game in late February 2011. Free State was voted best bar in the 2011 Best of Lawrence competition.

prospector 3 years, 1 month ago

I see some couzins are up and at it. Lordy, lordy look out over here.

"Can't we all just get along?" Rodney King

bobberboy 3 years, 1 month ago

picking the lint out of my belly button.

CWGOKU 3 years, 1 month ago

Public Relations Manager for Idi Amin

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 3 years, 1 month ago

T_O_B, Politician? If a person is not actively sitting on a governmental committee seat appointment or is not a current elected official does that not just make them a unemployed architect with no architectural schooling associated with a local church eco-guilt group who entertains designs of being a politician while supporting juvenile homo-erotic art highlighted by choosing a name historically associated with pederasty on a local newspaper comment section?

Flap Doodle 3 years, 1 month ago

When I was in school for my taxidermy degree, I did an internship as a polecat boiler. Nobody would come with 10 yards of me that whole summer.

HollisBrown 3 years, 1 month ago

Actually, that night audit job was kinda fun. I worked in a 650+ room hotel, so I always had a partner, a work partner, that is. Sometimes, after the initial rush, I'd sneek up to a vacated room, drink any leftover booze I could find, and watch dirty movies on the T.V.

richfree 3 years, 1 month ago

I pulled weeds out of a soy bean field, by hand, Aug. 1961...... made $0.75 per hour.

The_Original_Bob 3 years, 1 month ago

Sending out spam for politicians that have no chance of winning.

g_rock 3 years, 1 month ago

I worked in a store at Tanger in like 1997....enough said, right?

looza 3 years, 1 month ago

I sold K-STATE National Champion t-shirts on the side of the road. Nobody stopped to buy one.

prospector 3 years, 1 month ago

What I do. In the mine, no one can hear your screams.

KansasPerson 3 years, 1 month ago

Comment threader. Where's the love? No love.

FlintlockRifle 3 years, 1 month ago

Sitting in the jungle in the rain in Nam, scared to death

yankeevet 3 years, 1 month ago

patrolling the DMZ on the Korean border.........

HollisBrown 3 years, 1 month ago

Albert King knew about loneliness. And he didn't restring his lefty guitar. Played it high E to low E. Big Albert was pimpin' bad! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdDRCI...

HollisBrown 3 years, 1 month ago

Misterlee, there were many late nights growing up when you were my best friend. I don't think I would have survived without a radio and a turntable. I did the night audit gig, too. That really exacerbated my drinking problem. I could never sleep. That and my nights-days-days-nights-nights-days-nights schedule at the Post Office.

HollisBrown 3 years, 1 month ago

I do my very best to make sure Whitney isn't lonely.

LadyJ 3 years, 1 month ago

Do you think JK and Whitney are lonely? Are they sitting in a cubicle all day and night and monitoring our comments and making sure we are behaving? I'm imagining them out to dinner or at a party with their smart phone in one hand while talking to someone, watching our comments and keeping us in line. Do they take turns on "blogger duty"? Do they ever get a call in the middle of the night because "they're at it again"? Now that would make a story.

HollisBrown 3 years, 1 month ago

Well, I'm also opening a typewriter repair shop this summer. We'll see how it goes. I may just end up using it as a front for money laundering. Roe, I like that song. I think the taxi driver got stoned a lot and plotted revenge on that snotty actress. Harry Chapin played softball here once with the KLWN folks at the LHS softball field. I bet misterlee remembers.

autie 3 years, 1 month ago

I try to have a least three serving of fruits and vegatables a day. Reducing the carb intake is tough.

Tom Shewmon 3 years, 1 month ago

Unfortunately, none. Unfortunately, I've always been in either a supervisory role and had to deal with the problems of 10-40 at a time, not to mention the customers---or upper management---oh what fun. No, lonliness always eluded me. I guess second place would be husbanding---that can be very lonely (at times). he-he

Bill Lee 3 years, 1 month ago

It's a toss up between being a night auditor or the overnight shift on the radio. There's no one else in the building for most of the radio shift, but I talked to listeners, and some of them called with requests or just to chat. A night auditor closes out the business for the day, but also checks in late arrivals and checks out early departees. Some times of the year there aren't many guests at a hotel/motel. Does guard duty in the military count?

Come to think of it, the lonliest job I ever had was writing. The interviews and research involves others, but the writing itself is a solitary task until the finished product is turned over o the editor.

HollisBrown 3 years, 1 month ago

Well, right now I'm a payphone specialist. I drive from here to Indiana, collecting revenue from payphones. Nobody hired me, I just decided to do it. I don't have a key to the change boxes, so that makes it even more difficult. But I get to listen to my favorite music in the car.

RoeDapple 3 years, 1 month ago

Have you ever ridden in a cab when the driver didn't want to talk? There's a job where you meet new people every hour of every day yet many of them seem so eager to talk, connect, bond, if only for the few moments you spend with them. Strikes me as a lonely profession, and reminds me of this song . . . http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5dwks...

Boosh 3 years, 1 month ago

Roe, sounds kinda like my loneliest job. I worked for kdot one summer, mostly in the far western parts.

RoeDapple 3 years, 1 month ago

Space freighter pilot to the Andromeda Galaxy. Sometimes I would not hear another human voice for centuries.

nobody1793 3 years, 1 month ago

Trolling the internets trying to be "first". The pay sucks, but at least everyone thinks I'm hip and clever.