Previous   Next

How do you celebrate St. Patrick’s Day?

Asked at Target, 3201 Iowa St. on March 6, 2011

Browse the archives

“I go to the parade in Westport.”

“I maybe get a shake at McDonald’s and wear my one green shirt.”

“The best experience I’ve had was at O’Malley’s Pub in Missouri.”

“I usually don’t do anything, but this year I’ll run a 5K.”

Comments

Cait McKnelly 3 years, 1 month ago

There's not any real place around here to actually celebrate being Irish American unless I drive into KC and with the price of gas and the way I hurt now that's not something feasible. My days of getting into a set dance are over, besides which all anybody cares about anymore is step dancing. (Thank you, Riverdance!) I have a black shirt with a gold harp on it. I'll wear that in memory of family, listen to some music and maybe read this to my family:

Dublin

May 11th 1916

My dear Brothers and Sisters: I sincerely hope that this letter will not come as a surprise to any of you, and that above all none of you will worry about what I have to say. It is just a wee note to say that I have been tried by Courtmartial and sentenced to be shot -- to die the death of a soldier. By the time this reaches you, I will, with God's mercy, be joined in heaven with my poor father and mother as well as my dear friends who have been shot to death during the week. They died like heroes and with God's help I will act throughout as heroic as they did. Surely when you know my state of mind none of you will worry or lament my fate. No you ought to envy me. The cause for which I die has been rebaptised during the past week by the blood of as good men as ever trod God's earth and should I not feel justly proud to be numbered amongst them. Before God let me again assure you of how proud and happy I feel. It is not alone for myself so much I feel happy but for the fact that Ireland has produced such men. We die that the Irish nation might live. I know now what I have always felt -- that the Irish nation can never die. Let present-day placehunters condemn our action as they will, posterity will judge us aright from the efforts of our action. Enough of this personal note. ....Tell [the children] to always practice truth honesty straightforwardness in all things and sobriety. If they do this and remember their country they will be all right. Insist on their learning the language and history. I have a lot of books and I am making arrangements to have them turned into a library, but I can arrange to get some of them for the children.... Put some of them into trades if you can at all. You will see if they show any promise of mechanical or technical skill, they were too small when I saw them to advise. Tell Maggie she ought to try and get Mary Anne to go for teaching.... Good Bye, Dear Brothers and Sisters make no lament for me. Pray for my soul and feel a lasting pride at my death. I die that the Irish nation may live. God bless you all and guard you....

GoodBye, Sean Mac Diarmada

notajayhawk 3 years, 1 month ago

The question looked better on the front page:

"On the street: How do you celebrate St. Patrick’s Day?"

For a lot of people, that's the answer preceding the question.

Kontum1972 3 years, 1 month ago

you meant Jim Webb the 'Marine'.... Vietnam war hero

RoeDapple 3 years, 1 month ago

Still owe you that beer, bea . . .

beatrice 3 years, 1 month ago

I celebrate like its Cinco de Mayo!

beatrice 3 years, 1 month ago

I'm Irish, and when four Irish friends celebrate together there is always a fifth.

RoeDapple 3 years, 1 month ago

. . . um, yeah . . . I remember my roommates warning me to not go to sleep one evening in '68. Found myself in the middle of Tennessee St. @ 2:00AM in my skivvies with a face full of tear gas. One other night they woke me up by shooting my bed full of holes. They were a fun bunch . . .

indrid_cold 3 years, 1 month ago

Another opportunity to get the family on the road.

autie 3 years, 1 month ago

that clip reminded me of younger days when I had room mates after college that used to do that stuff...one climbed up in the tree (late after the club had closed; alcohol was involved) and then jumped on the other one ala off the top rope. The neighbors did not approve of WWE shows in the front yard at 3:00 am...they were no fun at all.

prospector 3 years, 1 month ago

Ol' prospector's favorite threaded comment's suck of the moment.

You got Cato telling me to look up and then look down and then it goes into me last-no me last-no me last.. a couple times. geez

Made me think I was watching this:

Cato. you fool!

Clouseau takes you.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 3 years, 1 month ago

g-rock, I have a similar taste aversion to sloe gin and chicks with big hair.

g_rock 3 years, 1 month ago

St. Patrick's Day 1995...the day I dropped out of K-State. Too much bar, beers and boys and not enough interest in going to class at all.

For some odd reason, I've never liked St Pats ever since then.

domino 3 years, 1 month ago

Frances O'Douleys Irish Pub in Topeka is a great place to be anyday, but on St. Patrick's Day it is even better!

deec 3 years, 1 month ago

If I had the money, it would be here, like I was in 2009: http://sendagift2ireland.tripod.com//index.html

Deja Coffin 3 years, 1 month ago

We take the kids to the parade and if it's not too cold have a picnic... the way this year has been I might be packing hot cocoa for the kids instead of juice boxes. Wasn't last year really cold?

I also try to make as many foods as possible green with my economy sized bottle of food coloring. I just made a Mario birthday cake for my friend's son and have 3 different shades of green to work with.

prospector 3 years, 1 month ago

I guess that we get this story Paul Harvey style.

Tune is later for the. "The rest... of the story." Page Two!

Keep up the great work my Free State friends.

Best restaurant http://www2.ljworld.com/photos/2011/m...

Best bar http://www2.ljworld.com/photos/2011/m...

gl0ck0wn3r 3 years, 1 month ago

I go fight some Irish, ya wee bastards.

Tony Kisner 3 years, 1 month ago

I get drunk, become easily offended and start fights. Thank god it is only once a year.

The_Original_Bob 3 years, 1 month ago

We don't want any blood on our hands.

RoeDapple 3 years, 1 month ago

"Wasn't she self-disappearededed? I miss her sometimes."

Under which name?

Oh, and she's still here . . . as are others . . .

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 3 years, 1 month ago

Hollis, No thanks, I have seen first hand the damage a blackjack will do to the dashboard of '62 Studebaker Lark.

CWGOKU 3 years, 1 month ago

Just another day. Speaking of holidays, I do need to get the Christmas decorations down, now that the snow has melted

HollisBrown 3 years, 1 month ago

This town would be well served by a fat Irish beat cop. He could say stuff like "I won't be havin' any of your shennanigans. Not on my beat. Now move along." Then he could smack 'em with his blackjack.

nobody1793 3 years, 1 month ago

I'll probably eat Mexican food and wave the flag of England.

riverdrifter 3 years, 1 month ago

Being both Scotch and Irish I do a Burns Supper and toast the haggis. Maybe the weather will be decent by St. Pat's.

Mary Darst 3 years, 1 month ago

Obviously, I'm not Irish. But, who can turn down a green beer.

HollisBrown 3 years, 1 month ago

I'm Scottish, which is much cooler. But the Scots-Irish made this country great. Just ask Jim Webb. He wrote a book about it. And I mean Sen. Jim Webb, D-VA., not Jimmy Webb, who wrote Wichita Lineman and McArthur Park, although he is a good songwriter.

HollisBrown 3 years, 1 month ago

I don't. Whoever invented it should be shellacked with a shillelagh. Boy, I almost had to use my Ronaldo for the spelling of that stupid word.

classclown 3 years, 1 month ago

I celebrate by being Irish that day.

But then again, I'm Irish the other 364 days of the year too.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 3 years, 1 month ago

Last night a lifeflight (I think) helicopter came rolling in over the compound about 150' AGL, ground landing light ablaze. The place shook, and It looked like streaming sunlight in the dark of night. I grabbed 3 mags,the AR and the go bag, never once thought of the devil spawn or the spousal unit.

. /I am selfish /Oh hell, they would just slow me down.

Gene Wallace 3 years, 1 month ago

It's a Day of Mourning for the lives and freedoms lost due to Maewyn Succat's efforts to chase the "Snakes", the Druids, out of Ireland and to force Christianity upon Pagan peoples. Succat, known as St. Patrick was not the "Nice Guy" of legend. Do the research people. I have no problem with the Irish having their day.

prospector 3 years, 1 month ago

By not wearing green. I like getting pinched. And avoiding check points, I don't like that kind of pinched.

jonas_opines 3 years, 1 month ago

""When people complain that I'm not wearing green, I point out to them that I have green eyes."

I show them my teeth"

I show them my gangrenous leg.

Boosh 3 years, 1 month ago

Me thinks Tyler cant talk boutit ;-)

autie 3 years, 1 month ago

First, I fall to my knees and give a pray of thanksgiving that I am not Irish.

Then sit around the rest of the day wondering whatever happened to Irish.

grammaddy 3 years, 1 month ago

The whole family gets together for lunch downtown and to watch the parade. Then we come back to the house and watch a round of the NCAA basketball tourney. Great family tradition. Some of the family may not come for Christmas or Thanksgiving, but they ALL come for St. Paddy's Day.

RoeDapple 3 years, 1 month ago

I show them my teeth

Bill Lee 3 years, 1 month ago

RoeDapple 3 years, 1 month ago

Who knows? Might try something new. Like golf. Or kayaking.

ophiuchus 3 years, 1 month ago

March 17th once was an anniversary date for me. As were March 8th and the final weekend of March.

the tides of March have subsided

leaving me

divided

CWGOKU 3 years, 1 month ago

second usual,a few beers, biscuits abd gravy