Previous   Next

How do you celebrate St. Patrick’s Day?

Asked at Target, 3201 Iowa St. on March 6, 2011

Browse the archives

“I go to the parade in Westport.”

“I maybe get a shake at McDonald’s and wear my one green shirt.”

“The best experience I’ve had was at O’Malley’s Pub in Missouri.”

“I usually don’t do anything, but this year I’ll run a 5K.”

Comments

RoeDapple 3 years, 5 months ago

Who knows? Might try something new. Like golf. Or kayaking.

Bill Lee 3 years, 5 months ago

RoeDapple 3 years, 5 months ago

I show them my teeth

grammaddy 3 years, 5 months ago

The whole family gets together for lunch downtown and to watch the parade. Then we come back to the house and watch a round of the NCAA basketball tourney. Great family tradition. Some of the family may not come for Christmas or Thanksgiving, but they ALL come for St. Paddy's Day.

Cait McKnelly 3 years, 5 months ago

This could be very very subtly bigoted. I'm just trying to figure out which side you're secretly dissing.

grammaddy 3 years, 5 months ago

Wasn't she self-disappearededed? I miss her sometimes.

Boosh 3 years, 5 months ago

Me thinks Tyler cant talk boutit ;-)

jonas_opines 3 years, 5 months ago

""When people complain that I'm not wearing green, I point out to them that I have green eyes."

I show them my teeth"

I show them my gangrenous leg.

RoeDapple 3 years, 5 months ago

Keep that in a bucket on your front porch?

;-)

Gene Wallace 3 years, 5 months ago

It's a Day of Mourning for the lives and freedoms lost due to Maewyn Succat's efforts to chase the "Snakes", the Druids, out of Ireland and to force Christianity upon Pagan peoples. Succat, known as St. Patrick was not the "Nice Guy" of legend. Do the research people. I have no problem with the Irish having their day.

Cait McKnelly 3 years, 5 months ago

I am not Catholic any longer and haven't been for decades. But Ireland and Christianity is...weird. The Irish Gaels put their own stamp on it that in many ways has lasted to this day and some of that stuff was actually beneficial. Please read this wonderful little book, "How the Irish Saved Civilization", (http://www.amazon.com/How-Irish-Saved-Civilization-Irelands/dp/0385418485). There was a good two hundred year span between the time Patricius "Christianized" Ireland and the time that Augustine brought it under the control of Rome. Those two hundred years were a wild and wooly time for the Irish Church and left it's influence even after Rome took over the reins. I frequently wish that Rome had left Ireland to it's own devices. Patrick bore a great deal of guilt for what was done to the Druids, a guilt he bore to his grave. I am not an apologist for him but I honestly believe it was a situation where he lost control of his followers and atrocities were done "in his name" that were never intended. I've seen some of this in current politics.

classclown 3 years, 5 months ago

I celebrate by being Irish that day.

But then again, I'm Irish the other 364 days of the year too.

Gene Wallace 3 years, 5 months ago

My Wallace Scots spent a generation on the Ulster Plantation before arriving in Maryland in 1670. I've learned a lot about American history tracing my ancestors experiences.

Mary Darst 3 years, 5 months ago

Obviously, I'm not Irish. But, who can turn down a green beer.

riverdrifter 3 years, 5 months ago

Being both Scotch and Irish I do a Burns Supper and toast the haggis. Maybe the weather will be decent by St. Pat's.

nobody1793 3 years, 5 months ago

I'll probably eat Mexican food and wave the flag of England.

RoeDapple 3 years, 5 months ago

"Wasn't she self-disappearededed? I miss her sometimes."

Under which name?

Oh, and she's still here . . . as are others . . .

Tony Kisner 3 years, 5 months ago

I get drunk, become easily offended and start fights. Thank god it is only once a year.

gl0ck0wn3r 3 years, 5 months ago

I go fight some Irish, ya wee bastards.

Deja Coffin 3 years, 5 months ago

We take the kids to the parade and if it's not too cold have a picnic... the way this year has been I might be packing hot cocoa for the kids instead of juice boxes. Wasn't last year really cold?

I also try to make as many foods as possible green with my economy sized bottle of food coloring. I just made a Mario birthday cake for my friend's son and have 3 different shades of green to work with.

deec 3 years, 5 months ago

If I had the money, it would be here, like I was in 2009: http://sendagift2ireland.tripod.com//index.html

Cait McKnelly 3 years, 5 months ago

This would be my favorite spot to celebrate. Leo Brennan has left some of the best genetics walking. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leo's_Tavern

domino 3 years, 5 months ago

Frances O'Douleys Irish Pub in Topeka is a great place to be anyday, but on St. Patrick's Day it is even better!

RoeDapple 3 years, 5 months ago

. . . um, yeah . . . I remember my roommates warning me to not go to sleep one evening in '68. Found myself in the middle of Tennessee St. @ 2:00AM in my skivvies with a face full of tear gas. One other night they woke me up by shooting my bed full of holes. They were a fun bunch . . .

beatrice 3 years, 5 months ago

I'm Irish, and when four Irish friends celebrate together there is always a fifth.

beatrice 3 years, 5 months ago

I celebrate like its Cinco de Mayo!

RoeDapple 3 years, 5 months ago

Still owe you that beer, bea . . .

Kontum1972 3 years, 5 months ago

you meant Jim Webb the 'Marine'.... Vietnam war hero

notajayhawk 3 years, 5 months ago

The question looked better on the front page:

"On the street: How do you celebrate St. Patrick’s Day?"

For a lot of people, that's the answer preceding the question.

Cait McKnelly 3 years, 5 months ago

I thought that was illegal. Oh wait! That's midget tossing.

Cait McKnelly 3 years, 5 months ago

There's not any real place around here to actually celebrate being Irish American unless I drive into KC and with the price of gas and the way I hurt now that's not something feasible. My days of getting into a set dance are over, besides which all anybody cares about anymore is step dancing. (Thank you, Riverdance!) I have a black shirt with a gold harp on it. I'll wear that in memory of family, listen to some music and maybe read this to my family:

Dublin

May 11th 1916

My dear Brothers and Sisters: I sincerely hope that this letter will not come as a surprise to any of you, and that above all none of you will worry about what I have to say. It is just a wee note to say that I have been tried by Courtmartial and sentenced to be shot -- to die the death of a soldier. By the time this reaches you, I will, with God's mercy, be joined in heaven with my poor father and mother as well as my dear friends who have been shot to death during the week. They died like heroes and with God's help I will act throughout as heroic as they did. Surely when you know my state of mind none of you will worry or lament my fate. No you ought to envy me. The cause for which I die has been rebaptised during the past week by the blood of as good men as ever trod God's earth and should I not feel justly proud to be numbered amongst them. Before God let me again assure you of how proud and happy I feel. It is not alone for myself so much I feel happy but for the fact that Ireland has produced such men. We die that the Irish nation might live. I know now what I have always felt -- that the Irish nation can never die. Let present-day placehunters condemn our action as they will, posterity will judge us aright from the efforts of our action. Enough of this personal note. ....Tell [the children] to always practice truth honesty straightforwardness in all things and sobriety. If they do this and remember their country they will be all right. Insist on their learning the language and history. I have a lot of books and I am making arrangements to have them turned into a library, but I can arrange to get some of them for the children.... Put some of them into trades if you can at all. You will see if they show any promise of mechanical or technical skill, they were too small when I saw them to advise. Tell Maggie she ought to try and get Mary Anne to go for teaching.... Good Bye, Dear Brothers and Sisters make no lament for me. Pray for my soul and feel a lasting pride at my death. I die that the Irish nation may live. God bless you all and guard you....

GoodBye, Sean Mac Diarmada