Previous   Next

Do you still follow Jayhawk players after they make it to the NBA?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on June 26, 2011

Browse the archives

“Yes. My favorite right now is Paul Pierce.”

“No, I don’t follow the NBA at all.”

“I don’t but my husband does. Like Paul Pierce, Kirk Hinrich and Nick Collison.”

“No, I hate the NBA.”

Comments

labmonkey 4 years, 2 months ago

Usually, I only root for a team with a favorite former Jayhawk on it.

RoeDapple 4 years, 2 months ago

Nah. Well except when a familiar name shows up on police reports, that seems to happen all too frequently. There seems to be an assumption here that I follow them as college players. That only happens if I know one of them personally, off the court. Or away from "court", as the case may be . . .

RoeDapple 4 years, 2 months ago

I did follow the football career of a player from a local small town. He played eight man football for four years of high school, four years of college ball for Wichita State after the loss of their first string players in a plane crash in 1970, then after being picked up by Pittsburgh Steelers played in two Super Bowls, '75 and '76. What a ride!

Bill Lee 4 years, 2 months ago

Like several others, I'm not a big NBA fan. I can't help but follow Paul Pierce because he and the Celtics have done well enough to make the news at playoff time. I used to follow a couple of close friends during their NBA careers, but they retired a long time ago.

Satirical 4 years, 2 months ago

That is just silly. If following around an NBA player for weeks, making a log of everywhere he goes, and when he is away from his house, and then breaking into his house(s) when he isn't there, and writing in crimson and blue graffiti "KU ROCKS" is stalking...well then I guess we are all stalkers....right?

RoeDapple 4 years, 2 months ago

The Gates may soon close on he who follows me.

Mary Darst 4 years, 2 months ago

I was a Celtics fan loonngg before Paul Pierce. He has made watching the games more fun...I do kind keep track of the KU players. I watched the Bulls alot when Hindrich played. Was proud these guys came from KU.

Terry Sexton 4 years, 2 months ago

Which two KU guys have the same first name & played in the league years apart? Time's up! If you said Wilt & Danny, you are wrong. The correct answer is Jackson & Valentine, the Darnell's.

Mike Ford 4 years, 2 months ago

I followed Billy Thomas in his stints with the Cavs and the Nets because unlike all of the fairytale KU homers he followed his dream and kept playing until he made the NBA. I did the same with Cartier Martin from KSU in his stints with the Warriors, Bobcats, and Wizards. It's funny how much of a racial undertone there is on here. You people act like there's no one with a college degree in the NBA. You do know players come back in the off season to KU right? Jacque Vaughn had almost a 4.0 in college and played and got a ring with the Spurs and is now assistant coach material. I love how many people hate without knowing. Oh, I follow Nick and Cole because I go to Thunder games a couple of times a year.

beatrice 4 years, 2 months ago

I'm a huge Suns fan, so their latest draft pick is pretty exciting. Go Suns!

CreatureComforts 4 years, 2 months ago

I'm a huge, gigantic NBA fan...I prefer it to college ball, most days. I grew up in Boston so naturally I am a Celtics fan. Pierce's KU days were just before mine, so I don't watch the Celtics because of him, but I certainly like seeing a KU guy in the starting lineup, even if he won't be around more than a couple more years (dude is almost 34).

Collison @ OKC, Hinrich @ ATL and Arthur @ MEM are my other favorites to watch because of former KU guys.