Previous   Next

What foreign language would you most like to be fluent in?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on June 25, 2011

Browse the archives

“Probably Spanish.”

“French.”

“Italian.”

“French. I’d like to go to Paris.”

Comments

RoeDapple 3 years, 11 months ago

I can tell you to go have matriarchal intimacy in seven languages, including Latin and two different dialectics of Chinese. I figure that's enough to get me killed in at least forty eight different countries so I don't travel much anymore. I guess English makes eight, but I refrain from using it close to home.

RoeDapple 3 years, 11 months ago

One word answers just aren't my style. I have been told I am a bit verbose.

verbose (Middle English *verbous, from Latin verbsus, from verbum, word; see verb) (At least it's not Fren. . .)

Another pancake feed this morning, wonder if my new best friend will be there . . .

RoeDapple 3 years, 11 months ago

Surprisingly pancake is of English, Russian and Viking origin. Even the little thin ones . . .

RoeDapple 3 years, 11 months ago

In Vietnamese "xuồng Cai Ac" is an Eskimo canoe made of sealskins stretched over a frame.

Cait McKnelly 3 years, 11 months ago

Gaelic. And not just Gaelic but Old and Middle Irish. Being fluent in Gaelic is the only thing that stops me from becoming a true, serious scholar in Irish history. I would give anything to actually read the Book of Leinster instead of relying on translations done by other people. Reading the Táin Bó in it's original language would give me the shivers.

(Okay, okay Roe, I'm weird.)

Cait McKnelly 3 years, 11 months ago

On the other hand the English title of the Táin Bó is "The Cattle Raid of Cooley". Roe would get a kick out of a good cattle rustlin' story.

RoeDapple 3 years, 11 months ago

"Roe would get a kick out of a good cattle rustlin' story."

Pretty sure I've known a few cowpokes over the years . . .

LadyJ 3 years, 11 months ago

Cat, they look at you when the meow. You know they're saying something and sometimes I'm not sure it's nice. Here is a quiz on how to tell if your cat is plotting to kill you. http://www.heyquiz.com/quiz/cat_kill There are other quizes there too. While I aced the candy bar quiz, I bombed at the beer label quiz.

LadyJ 3 years, 11 months ago

My daughter's cat actually did go through a phase for almost a year where he would suddenly attack her viciously. The college thought she was trying to cover up the fact she was in an abusive relationship because her arms were covered in scratches and bruises. She would have to defend herself with pillows and blankets and shut herself in her bedroom at night. We got a couple of pheromone dispensers for cats which helped a lot. It seems to have finally passed, OR he is just bidding his time.

LadyJ 3 years, 11 months ago

Now is there a quiz for "is an online user planning to kill you?"

Kathy Getto 3 years, 11 months ago

Obviously our cats are plotting every minute. Didn't wish to know how long it would take for a TRex to consume my corpse.

As for online user danger - it's pretty funny to think about unless you have actually been a victim of it. Thanks to the men and women in white hats, however, one of the purps is gone - the other is still among us.

Trouble, I tell 'ya - right here in River City.

Cait McKnelly 3 years, 11 months ago

Especially because the all time most-considered-vulgar word EVAR has Anglo-Saxon pre-Norman roots.

Mary Darst 3 years, 11 months ago

French, of course. Although "autie after scotch" would be good too. and Hollis? whewwww.

George_Braziller 3 years, 11 months ago

Icelandic doesn't have a lot of practical applications but it is pretty cool. It has remained essentially unchanged over the last 1,000 years. I flew to Germany on Icelandic Air once and almost everyone on the jet was speaking Icelandic. The one thing that has always stuck with me is the "clicking" of the language.

LadyJ 3 years, 11 months ago

Wait, I would like to be able to talk "trash" on occasion

rockchalker52 3 years, 11 months ago

I've heard tell that you know you're fluent in a second language when you realize you can actually think in it without having to translate those thoughts to your native tongue.

Otnay onnagay appenhay orfay emay.

Cait McKnelly 3 years, 11 months ago

As opposed to Elvish. "Round up the posse! We're headin' into Memphis!"

Cait McKnelly 3 years, 11 months ago

I can speak pretty fluent Texan. I know that "y'all" is the singular and "all y'all" is the plural. Anybody out there want to carry me to the store? I'll be sure to warsh maself before we go.

Jimo 3 years, 11 months ago

Wingnut-ese.

But who has the time to watch Fox repeat the same talking points hour after hour, listen to Limbaugh daily, and follow every Palin word salad posted to Facebook? Who has the money to buy Glenn Beck's 12 volume training course?

It's just easier to stick to Mandarin with its twenty thousand unphonetic symbols, Arabic with its four different alphabetic forms and missing vowels, and Hungarian with its 35 different cases.

Jimo 3 years, 11 months ago

True. But that's not so much more difficult than using phrases like "job killing tax increases" or "we do not torture" or "family values." It's not so much the Dr. Seuss' like silliness aspect but rather the striking similarity to English words with actual--and quite different--meanings.

beatrice 3 years, 11 months ago

I wish I could speak lawyer. I'm sure it would save me money at some point in my life.

labmonkey 3 years, 11 months ago

This cuzin talk everyone writes in on here.

bolshavik_vw 3 years, 11 months ago

I agree, why shouldn't we learn only one other language? There are people from Europe and other Countries overseas, that, when they come here, they know several Different Languages. That is what we need to do. Why close our minds?, When we can open them and see so many opportunities, with knowing more than one Language. I would love to know Romani,Spanish,French,German,Italian and 1 or 2 Native American Languages.And who knows maybe a Language from Africa or Asia would make things interesting. English is not a Foriegn Language, although it is the Language that is most Picked Apart by Americans who speak it. English Spoken, in the Proper Form may be Foriegn, although that should be it.

RoeDapple 3 years, 11 months ago

A friend from Denmark has two brothers still living there. When they get together, here or there, the cigars get lit, the beer gets poured, then all hell breaks loose! Each of them know at least five languages and together know eight. Friendly arguments with the language changing rapidly keep them on their toes and their minds sharp. Ages range from 77 to 82.

RoeDapple 3 years, 11 months ago

Kinda like getting on the wrong page of the instructions while assembling the new grill . . .

grammaddy 3 years, 11 months ago

Definitely Francais! I want to be able to ask "Where is the restroom ?" before I travel over there.