Previous   Next

What’s the most memorable phrase or saying your dad had?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on June 19, 2011

Browse the archives

“Probably the most common thing was ‘where’s the remote?’”

“You’re cruisin’ for a bruisin’.”

“Were you born in a barn?”

“In the morning he’d wake me up and say, ‘Hey, boy, we’ve got work to do.’”

Comments

beatrice 4 years ago

Seriously, what is with the photos? Have you forgotten how to turn the flash on or something?

My dad didn't say that, I'm saying that.

My dad always says "I love you." Not original or witty, but they are good words to grow up and grow old hearing.

RoeDapple 4 years ago

At my brother's wedding. "This ain't nothin' but a bunch of G Dn hippies!" (Loud enough to be heard throughout the church . . . . . . . . .guess you had to be there . . .

looza 4 years ago

"listen to your mother"........................"pull your pants up"..............."turn off that rap music"

LadyJ 4 years ago

My dad was the silent type, very silent. The only time he talked, you were in big trouble. My mom was always working evenings so if we wanted to do anything with friends we had to ask dad and he automatically said no. Figured out you didn't ask him, you just told him where you were going and what you were going to do. He would just nod and keep doing what he was doing.

Rex Russell 4 years ago

"You know, some day you'll be able to take the old man. But guess what..today ain't that day. Mow the d--- lawn.

FlintlockRifle 4 years ago

"" SON If you don't use your head, you will have to use your feet"" boy is that ever true even today

RoeDapple 4 years ago

"You better eat that! There's kids in China that don't get that much food in a week!"

ResQd 4 years ago

Laughing very hard here. I heard that all the time!

deec 4 years ago

We were admonished about children in India at my house.

independent_rebel 3 years, 9 months ago

We got that, too. I was dumb enough around age 7 or 8 to say "Well go ahead and send this stuff over to those starving Chinese kids" once, and only once. My butt is still sore.

roadwarrior 4 years ago

"Never bet any more than you can afford to lose." Said more often when confronted with any form of whining......"well, I'm sorry about that kid." Stellar human, lucky to still have him. He turned 87 this year.

4 years ago

"Money talks and BS walks"

deec 4 years ago

I can't use those words on here or I might get disappeareded.. I miss my daddy.

Bunny_Hotcakes 4 years ago

Do we just have to pick one?

"I know everything...that's worth knowing."

"Everyone has a right to their own opinion, even if it's wrong."

"Could you get me an apple, a knife, and a napkin?"

rockchalker52 4 years ago

If any of us whined, whimpered, b#tched or moaned, our Dad would say, "It'll be all right." Danged if he wasn't correct.

4 years ago

"Wakie Wakie! Daylight in the swamp!"

dajudge 4 years ago

Hey, if you're getting a beer, can you get me one, too?

LadyJ 4 years ago

Same here, but the cemetery is close by :(

deec 4 years ago

It gets a little easier with time.

Danielle Brunin 4 years ago

"You better cool your wheels, boy!" to my brothers. I was so sweet he never had to say such things. ;)

Kat Christian 4 years ago

Have no idea - didn't know the man - he left when I was 2. Father's Day is only for the deserved - not just because you became a father. I've never celebrated Father's Day in my life and don't ever plan to - just another beautiful Sunday as any other sunny day to me.

LadyJ 4 years ago

Yeah, my aunt was saying my boys should reconcile with their dad at some point because "he's their dad" and "they'll be glad they did" even if he is a horrible person. I bet after 30 years he's still hoping this is the year.

Pitt_Mackeson 4 years ago

My old man: "When my dad was a kid, if you didn't come eat when you were called for dinner, you F*CKIN' starved."

ivalueamerica 4 years ago

I was raised mostly by my grandparents and probably one of the most memorable things of the many my larger than life grandfather often said was..

The more you cry, the less you pee.

In his odd and old world humor way, it was a way to comfort us when we were crying, telling us there was no shame in crying.

I miss him.

Ceallach 4 years ago

"If you have ANY doubt, just say the word, we will walk out of this church, and I promise, no one will say a word to you about it."

I miss him.

Sheryl Wiggins 4 years ago

If you think you have to borrow money from friends, decide which you need more, the money or your friends. that music is driving me plumb out of my mind are you a pure D fool? smoke 'em if ya got 'em were you born in a barn? but the one that sticks in my memory the most was the time he didn't say anything after I wrecked his car.

Alfred_W 4 years ago

Finnbar1 posted: "If you think you have to borrow money from friends, decide which you need more, the money or your friends."

Pure gold.

pizzapete 4 years ago

We're shipping you off to military school with the Finklestein kid. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xaa5a...

pace 4 years ago

I hesitate because my father's humor was ribald. He use to say " When I was young I laid bricks but now I ball buildings." . My mom taught us not to laugh at his jokes. He was a mason then turned to demolition. ho ho ho.

MarcoPogo 4 years ago

When it comes to bands he doesn't like, he'll ask "So what do these guys have against music?"

LadyJ 4 years ago

LOL, the Christmas after the Woodstock Festival I had told my dad I really wanted the Woodstock Album for Christmas. I'm sure it made him really happy to see how excited I was when I opened it and couldn't wait to get it on the record player. As it played, his happy face turned to one of shock as he realized what he had bought me.

LadyJ 4 years ago

Guess hubby decided what he wants today, just got an e-mail from ebay confirming "my" bid.

LadyJ 4 years ago

Fortunately hubby decided against bidding on his other ebay option he was looking at--

GRISWOLD # 13 BLOCK LOGO CAST IRON SKILLET VHTF L@@K

Current bid: US $1,325.00

Time left: 1h 44m 25s (Jun 19, 201119:01:20 PDT) Bid history: 27 bids[Refresh bidhistory]

Bet it goes for at least $1,500

LadyJ 4 years ago

Was he famous? That old lady that clobbered the guy in Emporia when he attacked her should have put the skillet on ebay. Hell, I would have bid on that. More if she left the blood on it.

riverdrifter 4 years ago

On a fishing trip: "If you don't get that crappie out of the brush quick, you're gonna lose the whole ball of wax." On a hunting trip: "Look at that dead pheasant fly away." He used other WWII stuff like SNAFU and I can't remember what else. An old breed Marine, casual use of "Semper Fi" in his presence got a level stare and the response "You must mean Semper Fidelis".

LadyJ 4 years ago

GRISWOLD # 13 BLOCK LOGO CAST IRON SKILLET VHTF L@@K Item condition: -- Ended: Jun 19, 201119:01:20 PDT Winning bid: US $1,800.00 [ 40 bids ] Shipping: Varies based on location and shipping method Seller:

woodlingwho 4 years ago

Have you been drinking dirty water?

Crazy_Larry 4 years ago

"Life is hard, then you die."

"Hey Dad, I want..." "Want in one hand and pee in the other...see which fills up first."

acg 4 years ago

My dad had several we heard alot: "Who left these lights on, what am I, made of money???" "I'll kick your ass up over your shoulder blades!!" and my personal fav, which pretty much worked for any occasion: "Two tears in a bucket...and mother f**k it!!"

Clickker 4 years ago

"Here ya go kid, smoke 'em up" On my 13th birthday when he gave me a carton of Winstons. I didnt really smoke at the time, but I did after that. "Waddaya think I'm made of Fckin money?" Any time I asked for something. "We're not gettin fckin Converse" When I wanted 'designer' tennis shoes "I dont call you Son (Sun) because I think your bright" Whenever i did something stupid.

somedude20 4 years ago

"Making the sex is like a Chinese dinner, it ain't over till you both get your cookies. Remember I told you that"

KSChick1 4 years ago

when I faced something hard "it builds character" "this is gonna hurt me more than it's gonna hurt you" and "eat your vegetables, there's starving kids in India"

kujayhawk 4 years ago

You're never as good as you think you are, but you're never as bad as they think you are.

Kontum1972 4 years ago

hmmmm...ok...

Vietnam was not a War!

WW2 was a War....!

Carol Bowen 4 years ago

"If somebody tells you everything he knows, he don't know much."

When I told dad I as getting married, he said, "It's about time."