Previous   Next

What’s the most you’d be willing to pay for a college education?

Asked at Dillons, 1015 West 23rd St. on June 17, 2011

Browse the archives

“Honestly I don’t know. I go to KU and wish tuition would go down.”

“Probably around $24,000 to $25,000.”

“Honest answer: I don’t think anyone knows. I spent twice as much on my master’s as I did on my bachelor’s.”

“I wouldn’t want to go any higher than $30,000.”

Related story

Comments

HollisBrown 3 years, 4 months ago

I don't know. Are oranges on sale at Dillons?

Julie Craig 3 years, 4 months ago

hahahahaha ....... These people have been eating too many by the looks of them

sdm0819 3 years, 4 months ago

Not quite sure what that comment is suppose to mean? What is wrong with the looks of the people in the article?

RoeDapple 3 years, 4 months ago

Still paying for two. Probably will be . . fo eveh

RoeDapple 3 years, 4 months ago

Anybody else going to watch the Gritty Fitty river race this weekend? I'll be the one with the dimpled white balls. On my t-shirt. I like to watch the start from my front porch . . while strumming my instrument

LadyJ 3 years, 4 months ago

Is that why the pictures are orange?

ejc349 3 years, 4 months ago

From a grandma in grad school it came to $23,000. for my MASTERS. But, I drove 27,440 miles in 4 years.

LadyJ 3 years, 4 months ago

Didn't have to pay near as much as I did for extra curricular activities during teen years and put 3,000 miles a month on my car.

rockchalker52 3 years, 4 months ago

Oranges are, no doubt, more costly than my during my college days. Tuition is a little more pricey, too. I think it was under $300 for a semester. Gonna go ponder that over a satsuma/minneola smoothie.

Drinking one of them every day could cost more than my freshman year on the hill.

rockchalker52 3 years, 4 months ago

TOB, was this your boy I saw just off the deep end the other day?

CW, relish just how purty those beaded droplets look rolling down the hood of your car. Wax on, partner.

jlzack 3 years, 4 months ago

It's sad, SOME students should probably reconsider a college education. I work with student loans, & I see too many kids with a huge debt. Then they cant find work in their field, or a job at all. Alot of them end up defaulting on their student loans. I'm not saying an education is a bad thing, or that the experience isn't one of a lifetime. Just to remember, that 60,000 - 100,000. (or more) you borrow, must be repaid. These loans can be stretched out to 25 years for repayment but, if you are just going to school for the experience, is it really worth that debt of a lifetime, or worse yet, reuining your credit by defaulting?

sherbert 3 years, 4 months ago

In these times, if you're getting a degree, make sure it's in something job specific. A general degree is good for overall education, but it won't get you a paycheck! We need more trade schools.

Kontum1972 3 years, 4 months ago

why bother..there are no jobs

RoeDapple 3 years, 4 months ago

Don't worry guys, I gots lotsa stupid stuff left in me. Just need fluxie to comment on me a few more times and I will have him triangulated on the spreadsheet. I'm kinda like them bible decoders you know, just need a few more lines to work with then I'll have the fluxie apocalypse nailed down. Stock your bunkers. Plenty of tinfoil hats left from the last one . . .

RoeDapple 3 years, 4 months ago

Woulda been here sooner but had some real world to deal with . .

RoeDapple 3 years, 4 months ago

There are no secrets on the internet.

labmonkey 3 years, 4 months ago

Everyone should borrow $60K to get an anthropology or art history degrees. You know the job market is flush with opportunity for those grads.

Paul Hahn 3 years, 4 months ago

For the record: I did not get in a fight.

That was taken at the Dillon's on Mars.

Paul Hahn 3 years, 4 months ago

You tell me, Bea. I'm guessing you're old enough.

RoeDapple 3 years, 4 months ago

Knock knock Who's there? flux flux who? Knock knock Who's there? flux. flux who? Knock knock Who's there? Orange. Orange who? Orange you glad I didn't say flux ?

RoeDapple 3 years, 4 months ago

No direction I can take that safely so I bow out. you win bea ;-)

RoeDapple 3 years, 4 months ago

Paul outed hisself. whodathunkit?

RoeDapple 3 years, 4 months ago

My corner has rubber walls . . just sayin' . .

scopi_guy 3 years, 4 months ago

I don't like to throw this around, but I just happen to be a high school graduate.

beatrice 3 years, 4 months ago

In dollars, or blood, sweat, tears and years? Either way, too much. Once you start it is difficult to stop (or is that finish?).

Looks like somebody got into the last of the remaining Polaroid film.

RoeDapple 3 years, 4 months ago

Once again gas in Topeka today $3.43 Lawrence $3.69. Who controls the price in Larryville?

Chris Golledge 3 years, 4 months ago

10 times the difference between the annual amount of money I'd expect to make at a job with a degree I planned to get and some other job.

So, a degree in philosophy, not as much as an engineering degree, etc.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it sure makes the pursuit a whole lot more fun.

George Lippencott 3 years, 4 months ago

How much are we willing to pay or how much can we afford to apy??

RoeDapple 3 years, 4 months ago

Roe's quote pick of the day;

"Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country." - Marion Barry

beatrice 3 years, 4 months ago

Here is a quote that never happened, but should have:

"I did not sext that woman, Miss Nobles." -- Anthony Weiner

jenniflip 3 years, 4 months ago

Ummm...I think it should read, "Medical Billing and Coding." Speaking as a coder, there's no such occupation as "Medical bills and calling."

LadyJ 3 years, 4 months ago

Daughter graduates from graduate school in Dec. Hopes to go straight into P.H.D. program. Oddly, her skin has an yellowish tint to it, and her hands and feet are orangish kind of like the fake tan in a bottle. Wish we could find out why. Of course she has been one medical mystery after another since the day she was born. Now the money I have spent on medical bills and tests and special foods for her, even with insurance, is probably for than I spent for college.

LadyJ 3 years, 4 months ago

Also just read that it happens with people with hypothyroidism, which she has. They killed mine some years back (took two tries) but I have to admit I'm not a big veggie eater unless it's with pasta. But she does eat lots of veggies since she is allergic to most foods out there, thankfully not peanuts though.

H_Lecter 3 years, 4 months ago

I paid two arms and two legs....not mine of course.