Previous   Next

What is your favorite summertime drink?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on June 9, 2011

Browse the archives

“Lemonade, the original.”

“Water is good for you, but I’ll have to go with coke.”

“Sweet tea. ”

“Water. It’s refreshing, and I’m boring.”

Comments

Sarah St. John 2 years, 10 months ago

Water, cool but not freezing cold.

Sun Tea.

A Cold One. (Because a One that is not Cold is scarcely a One at all.)

And I love me a cherry limeade from Sonic.

Kontum1972 2 years, 10 months ago

kansas river water..unfiltered....

Gandalf 2 years, 10 months ago

Ice cold Bud with a warm woman chaser!

witchfindergeneral 2 years, 10 months ago

Water with fresh squeezed lemon does the trick for me. That, and cold pilsner(s) on a warm summer night.

bevy 2 years, 10 months ago

Ice cold iced tea with a touch of sweetener. (Not sugar, unfortunately. Not anymore.) I start every morning, winter and summer, with a 52 oz-er from my local Casey's. At home, it's boiling water brewed black tea. Yummy!

g_rock 2 years, 10 months ago

Margarita, the GOOD tequila, rocks, salt and extra lime for me. Maybe a pitcher of them.

And a fish taco or two or three.

Don't forget the chips and salsa.

Do you deliver?

Thanks in advance.

scopi_guy 2 years, 10 months ago

Definately a Tab. Or maybe a Fresca.

Pywacket 2 years, 10 months ago

Strong (boiling-water BREWED, baby) iced tea---no sugar (YUCK) Ice water Homemade limeade or lemonade (I like it on the sour side) Frozen Margaritas (original lime, strawberry, mango.... I ain't picky) Frozen Daiquiris (even better with an added shot of Amaretto)

Just depends on the activity accompanying the drinking, the time of day, etc.

If I'm out & about, I might stop and get a frozen coffee or orange slushy from QT. They have lots of slushy flavors, but the orange is the tangiest. Would like to see a QT go in on the west side of Lawrence.

LadyJ-- I agree--they should make this stuff w/o all the friggin' sugar/corn syrup/whatever they use to sweeten it. I would buy these more often if they didn't carry about 5000 calories worth of tooth-etching sugars. Bonus if they didn't replace the "real" sweeteners with sweet-to-the-gag-point artificial ones.

Richard Payton 2 years, 10 months ago

Has anyone drank any of that smart water? Should I drive a smart car and drink smart water?

countrygirl 2 years, 10 months ago

Salty Dog. Grapefruit juice, gin and salt. Tastes best when you have so much salt in it that it freezes to the carpet if you set it on the floor.

roadwarrior 2 years, 10 months ago

cold champagne and cold orange juice.......mimosa !

RoeDapple 2 years, 10 months ago

One of the first drinking parties I went to was in '66. What ever you brought in was poured into the punch bowl. We called it mutha hunch punch. My stomach still lurches involuntarily when I thinkboutit.

somedude20 2 years, 10 months ago

I wish that the goverment could force science to create a diet water or at least some water that is low in calories and fat

riverdrifter 2 years, 10 months ago

Sun tea made with black tea. Got a gallon brewing now. Also, caipirinhas made with Leblon cane rum. Downside: Leblon is high $$. http://lebloncachaca.com/welcome/

Roland Gunslinger 2 years, 10 months ago

Lemonade Limeade Cherry Limeade Strawberry lemonade Ice cold beer with a can of tomato juice- aka the Red Eye or Red Beer

somedude20 2 years, 10 months ago

A White Russian using Cambodian breast milk. Nothing comes close

Scott Morgan 2 years, 10 months ago

A good well made sun tea iced to the point of being ridiculous. Alcoholic drink would be a well made Bloody Mary.

rockchalker52 2 years, 10 months ago

Ice water makes me feel the healthiest. Ice cold beer makes me feel the best. Flux should drink more of sumthin', sounds a little constipated.

The_Original_Bob 2 years, 10 months ago

Autie -

I gots to apologize. I've always taken that as fact. It was presented as fact in Lost City of Z and the River of Doubt and numerous other Outside/National Geographic articles I've read over the years. I still ain't pissing a river in the Amazon river basin, though.

The_Original_Bob 2 years, 10 months ago

Ben Affleck was once called a young Alec Baldwin. Alec Baldwin is a vagina. I heard it sung so in this song about Steve McQueen. This for Hollis when he eventually wakes up.

BABBOY 2 years, 10 months ago

Cold Beer Diet Dew Cold Water

Depending on what I am doing

I also would not limit any of the above to summer.

The_Original_Bob 2 years, 10 months ago

"I should not...repeat. should not have to google anything today."

I even figured out RI's post. Good to feel smart in the morning.

Also, you don't have to pee to get the Urethra Cutter in your johnson.

autie 2 years, 10 months ago

Another report from French naturalist Frances de Castelnau in 1855 relates an allegation by local Araguay fisherman, saying that it is dangerous to urinate in the river as the fish "springs out of the water and penetrates into the urethra by ascending the length of the liquid column."[9] While Castelnau himself dismissed this claim as "absolutely preposterous," and the fluid mechanics of such a thing occurring literally defy the laws of physics, it remains one of the more stubborn myths about the candiru. It has been suggested this claim evolved out of the real observation that certain species of fish in the Amazon will gather at the surface near the point where a urine stream enters, having been attracted by the noise and agitation of the water.

autie 2 years, 10 months ago

mow-hee-tow

mojito

moheetoe

more heat oh

ejc349 2 years, 10 months ago

Drink water, pee clear. Best advise you'll ever get.

LadyJ 2 years, 10 months ago

I wish someone would make a diet Icee (or other similar frozen drink). There used to be a gas station in Olathe that I could get them at when the AC in the car didn't work. Know how kids like to blow bubbles with a straw in their drink? My kid did that with an Icee, what a mess. I looked the same as a volcano erupting.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 2 years, 10 months ago

I ran out of steam last night, so I watched the very first Twilight Zone episode. Did you know that Ben Affleck is Earl Holliman's bastard child?

autie 2 years, 10 months ago

Scotch? Predicatable, ain't it?

Guess who will say Free State beer of course?

I should not...repeat. should not have to google anything today.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 2 years, 10 months ago

I am a big fan of your basic moejightoe

The_Original_Bob 2 years, 10 months ago

Roed -

Regarding that knee level thing. Good advice. There is a North American Candiru in that river now.

The_Original_Bob 2 years, 10 months ago

I'm with Roed. Water. Ice cold water. Fantastic.

Also, when it is hot and humid and I'm just reading a book on the porch, Gin and Tonic with a healthy amount of lime. Scares the scurvey away.

And, even an average wheat beer will tasted damn good when it is hot out. Even when Propector is looking at me in disgust whilst fishing because the wheat beer I brought isn't from Free State.

tange 2 years, 10 months ago

It's a toss-up: water on water (liquid on solid) or Guinness.

Lately, I've been enhancing my water with one of the flavored Crystal Light green teas.

Requisite: coffee, au lait, of course.

RoeDapple 2 years, 10 months ago

Never stand in the Kaw above knee level, even when getting a refreshing sip of downstream Topeka/Manhattan. Rumor is the Candirus has been introduced from eggs off the bottom of kayaks.

RoeDapple 2 years, 10 months ago

I have drank (drunk? drinked?) enough diet Dr Pepper to float the USS Jimmy Carter. Not bad considering it is a Seawolf Class Submarine.

RoeDapple 2 years, 10 months ago

Water is good. As long as it has been frozen and mixed in as part of a margarita..

Multidisciplinary 2 years, 10 months ago

why does Koolaid not come out with a margarita flavor? Seriously...why? It can't be hard to do.

Ferd_Burfull 2 years, 10 months ago

Koolaid, cuz I'm a left wing liberal (if you follow me).

riverdrifter 2 years, 10 months ago

Never had the "none" before. That sounds like a deadbeat's drink. Mine is the gin & tonic: tall gin glass loaded with ice:, squeeze lime wedge over ice to let freeze. 1 oz. Gordon's or other fine gin, frozen. Top off glass with chilled Canada Dry tonic water. Garnish with lime wedge.