Previous   Next

What’s the best summer job you’ve ever had?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on June 3, 2011

Browse the archives

“It doesn’t exist anymore, but Red’s Conoco at Ninth and New Hampshire. I worked there in high school. It was the best job I ever had.”

“I’d say nannying.”

“Lifeguard. You just sit and watch people swim.”

“Nannying. Little kids are fun.”

Related story

Comments

RoeDapple 3 years, 4 months ago

Worked at the Apco station on 6th street years ago when you were expected to clean windows, check oil, clean windows, check tire pressure, clean windows, . . clean windows. Did I mention cleaning windows? There's a reason for that. Some things you see through the windshield are best seen from the outside . . .

salem58 3 years, 4 months ago

Hallmark Cards Inc. during my highschool summers, it opened my eyes to a world that I didnt want to be in for the rest of my life.

RoeDapple 3 years, 4 months ago

Hey! I did work on a hay crew in '63 & '64! $.02/bale, start at sun up and work some times til 10PM. Sometimes made over $40/day! Hey, whaddayathinkboutdat?

Mary Darst 3 years, 4 months ago

Ha! do you even have anything to talk about.

RoeDapple 3 years, 4 months ago

I applied for night shift mattress tester but they said I seemed to have trouble maintaining my focus. I said 'that ain't no focus it's a escort'

beatrice 3 years, 4 months ago

So you were with an "escort" testing out mattresses?

I'm pretty sure that is illegal in the state of Kansas.

RoeDapple 3 years, 4 months ago

I really like the 'twist' you put to my posts bea! (Not like I don't set myself up for it . . )

;-)

beatrice 3 years, 4 months ago

I appreciate that you are someone who can take a joke better than most.

LadyJ 3 years, 4 months ago

Didn't have a "summer job" since it was all year long. Started working when I was 13. Labor laws weren't enforced much back then. My mom worked for the same place and made sure I worked lots of hours. Didn't do much for my grades though. One of the reasons I had a rule that my kids only worked on weekends.

LadyJ 3 years, 4 months ago

My daughter and I worked together cleaning stalls to help pay for her horse's board in the evenings, that I enjoyed much more than my day job.

trinity 3 years, 4 months ago

ugh, detassling corn was the WORST...being a scorekeeper for my lil' town's adult softball leagues ROCKED, at the ball diamonds every night!! made pretty decent $$ for a high school kid! 3, 4 summers of that.

BruceWayne 3 years, 4 months ago

Wet Willy's waterslide on Ferguson Road. Working the bottom pool, many tops came off those two summers.

RoeDapple 3 years, 4 months ago

Well my top never came off but I hit Wet Willy's many times with the kids. Still getting plenty of sun?

grammaddy 3 years, 4 months ago

Worked in the Washburn U. law library. Minimum wage was $1.65. I worked all summer long and saved up for a $200 ten-speed to ride back to school.

riverdrifter 3 years, 4 months ago

Worked the wheat harvest from Turkey, Texas to Edmonton, Alberta. Best thing I ever did!

ToteAlongShaker 3 years, 4 months ago

Philmont Scout Ranch in Cimarron, New Mexico.

scopi_guy 3 years, 4 months ago

Worst was definately hauling hay. That was in addition to the regular farm chores. One summer my brother and I were shoveling some sort of grain or feed from the truck bed into the barn. There must have been something in it because later that afternoon, our whole chest and stomachs and arms were covered in bites that itched like heck and made me sick to my stomach. Will never forget that.

Best was working at KU dispatching the facilities trucks. That was pretty fun and the people in the office were nice, but a bit wacky. So, it was a good fit.

K_Verses_The_World 3 years, 4 months ago

I had a job in the great north woods Working as a cook for a spell But I never did like it all that much And one day the ax just fell

geekin_topekan 3 years, 4 months ago

Hay fields in Nebraska. .10/bale and all the bean/leftovers tacos and Coca-Cola I could want. My Spanish has never been as good as that year and I was built like a steel wedge.

Colorado RenFaire. Worked for an artisan for many summers. Half naked hippy chicks by day--Fully naked hippy chicks by night (your experience may vary if you go). But the Ren Faire was only part of his season. The really fun part was when we'd hit the road and the mountain towns' street festivals. Boulder, Durango, Flagstaff and all over southern California. Hippy chicks love Native American-artists' assistants.

Kontum1972 3 years, 4 months ago

Mary Whittaker u look like a test-pilot...lol....

Kontum1972 3 years, 4 months ago

cluster-bomb assembler KAAP...Parsons, Ks...

LadyJ 3 years, 4 months ago

Knew a guy that left to drive a nitroglycerin truck. Insisted it was safe, yeah, he didn't make it back.

Mary Darst 3 years, 4 months ago

Does anyone remember when being a nanny was "babysitting".

LadyJ 3 years, 4 months ago

LOL, had the same thought the other day. But calling yourself a babysitter does not make you feel good about yourself. And we all know that with kids now days it's all about feeling good about yourself, you are special and everyone else, not so much.