Previous   Next

What is your favorite place to camp?

Asked at Dillons, 1015 West 23rd St. on June 2, 2011

Browse the archives

“I don’t go camping.”

“Outside of Canton. It’s just a little pond with a trailer.”

“I haven’t been camping in so long I don’t remember. I’m not a camper.”

“The east side of the Sierra Nevadas.”

Comments

Take_a_letter_Maria 4 years, 3 months ago

Hello Mother, Hello Father, Here I am at Camp Granada....................

riverdrifter 4 years, 3 months ago

They say we'll have some fun if it stops raining...

riverdrifter 4 years, 3 months ago

Ain't gonna tell ya where I likes camping. "People, go 'way!"

Bill Lee 4 years, 3 months ago

I used to camp a lot when I was young, but haven't in many years. If I were to go now, I'd probably go to the area between Gunnison and Aspen, Colorado.

RoeDapple 4 years, 3 months ago

Allan Sherman - Hello Muddah Hello Faddah

Good times, huh Multi?

;-)

LadyJ 4 years, 3 months ago

I've been known to camp out on the couch if the snoring in the bedroom gets too loud or the neighbor's music.

somedude20 4 years, 3 months ago

John Mayer and The Blues Breakers are pretty good don't be a hater but I never did like John Mayall, that "Your Body is a Wonderland" stinks worse than Danny Devito's bathroom!

countrygirl 4 years, 3 months ago

Rocky Mountain National Park and we spent a nice week-end at the Longview campground at Perry.

Mary Darst 4 years, 3 months ago

Well, of course the Walnut River!!!!! We go to Kaw Lake in Oklahoma. I would love to go to Colorado to camp. Oh, we have also been to the Buffalo River in Arkansas. On a cool night with gentle breezes I will camp in my driveway. We really sleep good in that old camper. Maybe, someday autie will come camping with us.

LadyJ 4 years, 3 months ago

Actually, we have a cabin at a lake I haven't seen in many years. About the time I realized I was there to take care of his kids, cook, and do all the cleaning (which was a lot) I quit going. From the minute I got there till we left, I was working my butt off while everyone else was fishing, swimming and hiking.

Terry Sexton 4 years, 3 months ago

A former co-worker of mine got married a couple years back to a very lovely lady. For their wedding night they went camping with about 40 of their closest friends. They'd all partied pretty heartily at the reception, so everyone got a good night's sleep - except for those who'd pitched their tents next to the bride's & groom's.

RoeDapple 4 years, 3 months ago

I have woke up on the front lawn a few times . . .

Kontum1972 4 years, 3 months ago

it use to be the Wakarusa Festival ...when it was held here in Lawrence.

wmathews 4 years, 3 months ago

The closest I've come to camping was when I was on crew in high school. We drove to St. Catherine's, Ontario for a regatta and "camped" for five days. It doesn't really count because there were fully air-conditioned bathrooms and a pool at the camp site. We did cook with fire and sleep in tents.

RoeDapple 4 years, 3 months ago

I'm tired of walking three blocks to eat spring rolls and rice. Olive Garden? . . Hell yeah! Bring it.

Kontum1972 4 years, 3 months ago

i vote nancy pelosi also.....i bet she is a handful....sock-it too me BB

RoeDapple 4 years, 3 months ago

Camping ain't camping without the 'shovel and dried leaves' experience.

Kontum1972 4 years, 3 months ago

crack me up whitney..i wish i was a mosquito....

cook with fire....was it canned sterno? poke n beans

K_Verses_The_World 4 years, 3 months ago

I don’t care How many letters they sent Morning came and morning went Pick up your money And pack up your tent You ain’t goin’ nowhere

RoeDapple 4 years, 3 months ago

Congo Bar was a great blue collar bar. Saw a dude holding his guts in after a knife fight there in the '60's.

somedude20 4 years, 3 months ago

I like to camp in your 25 year old daughter's room.

RoeDapple 4 years, 3 months ago

Babboy has been too nice lately. Lighter workload? Somebody else got his password? I miss the old Babboy.

Hollis you were probably using golf clubs to play golf. .22's in the sand trap are much more fun, especially next to the water hazard. Meat from McDonald's and Dillon's was made there so no loss of animal life occurred

geekin_topekan 4 years, 3 months ago

Behind the Amtrak depot was my favorite spot but it became crowded after a while. Too many newcomers with no background in the homeless arts.

The small grassy area behind the 700blk of Mass was generally good. No alley lighting and my black blanket made me invisible. Although I did wake up with a banana or an occasional blueberry muffin resting on my chest. Thank you, whoever you are. I even found three dollar tucked into my hand once.

Abandoned garages were plentiful but they were only good in the summer. Although one had become popular near Sally's. It contained, what had become known as, the "buffalo robe". When a homeless person said he stayed in the "Buffalo robe" it meant that he slept in the big piece of ultra-plush brown carpet. it was very warm when properly used.

RoeDapple 4 years, 3 months ago

Hollis - You would like my Rem 870. 20.5" barrel, dark gray pachmayr pistol grip and fore stock plus extended tube for eight shot capacity. And no problem using lead shot no matter where I shoot it. 'Course it's a port side eject for this old southpaw.

RoeDapple 4 years, 3 months ago

The younguns wanted to get in a pi$$in contest Saturday. Rules were, First shot of the day, 20 yards, farthest from the bulls eye bought the first round of beer. They all stepped up with their high capacity Glocks, Sigs and Springfields, and all made a fair showing. Ole Roe stepped up to the line with his old S&W model 15 and punched a hole dead center on the bull. One son-in-law was overheard saying "Why do we even bother?" After the guns were put away that beer sure tasted good . . .

sr80 4 years, 3 months ago

In the crawl space under Quintons back porch !!!!

Flap Doodle 4 years, 3 months ago

"The bullets are just bouncing off that gator!" "Go get the Barrett."

Sheryl Wiggins 4 years, 3 months ago

Hidden Lake in..............I dunno I was always in the very back of the Rambler station wagon belting out "gerimiah was a bulldog" (yes I know G. wasn't a dog at all, I was 6, sue me)" and "we're two hangmen hangin from a tree and that don't bother me at a-a-all" and probably something by John Prine oh and "drove my chevy to the levee and the levee was dry singin' bye bye miss american pie" (Hollis---I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry but I had no control over the transistor radio)

Sheryl Wiggins 4 years, 3 months ago

speaking of 'ballad of billie joe" (and I'm assuming you're talking about Billie Joe McCallister) by coincidence it was "the 3rd of June another sleepy dusty delta da-a-ay I was out choppin cotton and my brother was bailin ha-a-ay"......

Ceallach 4 years, 3 months ago

I voluntarily went camping many years ago. For me it was a once in a lifetime experience. There is a very good reason why mankind moved indoors. The woods are full of critters and cretins.

Flap Doodle 4 years, 3 months ago

Mutants have been doing number 2 in the cucumber fields. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Kontum1972 4 years, 3 months ago

Hill 187 overlooking the Mekong delta...calling in Buffs.....

LadyJ 4 years, 3 months ago

That would be Roe, trying to sneak her into the basement.

LadyJ 4 years, 3 months ago

Wow, there are a lot of drunk Whitney videos out there. But our little angel, Whitney, would never do anything like get drunk.

RoeDapple 4 years, 3 months ago

Honest folks, Mrs Roe can catch me in a lie before the words even form in my geriatric skull! So no captives in the basement, especially not "The Goddess". However . . . you have gotten me curious about her antics . . .

LadyJ 4 years, 3 months ago

Good thing only guys are considered old farts.

gl0ck0wn3r 4 years, 2 months ago

A Westin... but sometimes I pitch a tent in my pants.

jd 4 years, 2 months ago

Rep. Weiner please get back to the people's business.

Blessed4x 4 years, 2 months ago

Best camping lake in this end of Kansas is at Crawford Lake near Ft. Scott. A quick trip down to see Big Brutus, lunch at the Nu Grille in Ft. Scott and back to the campsite for a swim at the beach and s'mores over the campfire. Perfect day.

jd 4 years, 2 months ago

Indian Cave state park in Nebraska. Beautiful area (esp. in the Fall) a short drive from Lawrence.