Previous   Next

What’s your favorite thing to do when at the fair?

Asked at Dillons, 1015 West 23rd St. on July 23, 2011

Browse the archives

“I just love the carnival food, like good corn dogs.”

“I like the Ferris Wheel.”

“I like a little of everything. I like the livestock, the tractor pulls and if I’m feeling lucky enough to recapture my youth I might jump on one of those scary rides.”

“I haven’t been to the fair in a while but I like the demo derby.”

Comments

Flap Doodle 2 years, 9 months ago

The petting zoo in my trousers.

autie 2 years, 9 months ago

Lizzy McGuire? Duffy? You guys must have been out the hot sun too long today. I would advise sitting in a dark cool spot and sipping some gin and tonic. I can't decide if you are pedophiles or if that girl is that old already. That was a few years back.

HollisBrown 2 years, 9 months ago

Or you can always turn on to Adele. Great voice, and I'm pretty sure she's not insane. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KY_tWc...

HollisBrown 2 years, 9 months ago

"During a concert in Cleveland, Duffy accidentally set the left side of her hair on fire.[91] In New York, Duffy was left apologising to an audience after briefly crying. She explained to the audience that this happens in one out of every 15 of her shows when she feels exposed for reasons she does not fully understand."

Christ, forget what I said about stable...................

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 2 years, 9 months ago

Hollis, She has come along way since playing Lizzie McGuire on Disney.

HollisBrown 2 years, 9 months ago

Dear lord, I forgot how gorgeous that song is!!!

HollisBrown 2 years, 9 months ago

Musically, Amy Winehouse was mainly a recycled combo of Dusty Springfield/Lulu/Jackie DeShannon. If you like the 60's Hal David/Burt Bacharach stuff, which I do, you might try this. She's far more stable, although I haven't heard anything since her last album a few years ago. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQR7wqUgcNw

The_Original_Bob 2 years, 9 months ago

"Jake Unpronounceablelastname = Unwatchable. Plus his siter looks like she's been chasing parked cars"

I can't stand Jake although Donnie Darko is somewhat interesting, if not overly bloated. I quit watching it when the boy came down and wanted me to play racing games with him on the Wii. That was an easy decision.

His sister has been dubbed as, "Sad Turtle Faced Girl." I don't care how many times she gets naked in movies, she just doesn't do it for me.

HollisBrown 2 years, 9 months ago

"It is so hot out I'm watching a Jake Gylenhal movie. That is on freaky rabbit"

Jake Unpronounceablelastname = Unwatchable. Plus his siter looks like she's been chasing parked cars.

HollisBrown 2 years, 9 months ago

The heat. And the dust. And B.O. and foul language. The demo derby isn't even fun any more. Used to be you could just decide to go 10 minutes ahead of time and actually get a place to sit. I think they sell tickets in advance now and , oh just forget it. Besides, a bunch of treaders going 3mph in mud, tapping each other? Whoopee. Now, if they would have it in the empty Sears parking lot and just full-on ram the crap out of each other, that would be cool.

HollisBrown 2 years, 9 months ago

The people. Definitely the people. Best time of year to rob trailer parks since all the residents are at the fair. I just love seeing all the 3-5 year old boys with mullets, mohawks, multiple piercings and tatoos. I just shake my head and wonder how you could ruin a kids' life like that. Last year we just drove past the fairgrounds on demo derby night. We saw a cute little family unit on their way in. 4 yr old boy with a combo mullet/mohawk. 19-ish mom with a tight tank top on that said "Talk S*** Get Hit", and the kids' moms' boyfriend in a black t-shirt that said "Hustler" in gothic lettering.

The_Original_Bob 2 years, 9 months ago

27 years old? What a tired cliche for a musician.

It is so hot out I'm watching a Jake Gylenhal movie. That is on freaky rabbit.

HollisBrown 2 years, 9 months ago

I guess Amy really won't be going to rehab. Sad, but I can joke about this 'cuz I've been there. And I've lost a few friends under similar circumstances. If you're lucky, lots of people love you, reach out to you, and try and help you. But in the end it's up to you. After some of the roads I've been down, trips to the ER with anywhere from .39 to .45 BAC, I'm living on borrowed time. Right now I'm choosing not to do that anymore. But then there's always tomorrow.

The_Original_Bob 2 years, 9 months ago

It is unfortunate we won't be able to see Amy Winehouse in the freakshow tent at the fair this year.

prospector 2 years, 9 months ago

CW, Whitney would take the LJW job back before that.

CWGOKU 2 years, 9 months ago

I hear Whitney lathers her corn dog in mustard. Ketchup on corndogs is unmerican

autie 2 years, 9 months ago

Tom likes demolition derby and is in the Red Bull section. What does that mean?

Does Lindsey drink red bull? How about red bull and vodka? We already know how little she truly knows of carnival food.

The_Original_Bob 2 years, 9 months ago

Pitt - The dealbreaker has to be whether or not he puts mustard on those corndogs.

Pitt_Mackeson 2 years, 9 months ago

Well lets number off his traits. 1. He likes carnival food. 2. He may have a cat. 3. Wears glasses. 4. Smiley I think he's a real catch. Call me Miles!

CWGOKU 2 years, 9 months ago

"There are only two things in life that scare me. One is nuclear war. The other is carnies, circus folks, nomads you know, smell like cabbage, small hands."

The_Original_Bob 2 years, 9 months ago

"Leave."

Yep. I've never been a fan of fairs.

"Miles is a smart dude." Lindsey

I think it should be noted that Miles is in the cat litter section of the store.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 2 years, 9 months ago

I like the vendor exhibit tents best. Those guys know how to party. Act like you are interested in a set of chopper knife rolls and stripper plates and the tequila flows like water.

g_rock 2 years, 9 months ago

I've been to many a county fair in my days as a 4-H yute. That whole part I'm over...even the blue ribbons. But give me a tilt-a-whirl and a funnel cake any day! I think the last fair I went to was a good 8 years ago in New Jersey. Oddly, those peeps know how to do a fair...it is much like a boardwalk, but about as far away from the ocean you can get in upstate NJ.

labmonkey 2 years, 9 months ago

Favorite thing about the fair.... 400 lb carnie chicks of course.

prospector 2 years, 9 months ago

'the" fair?

Is there just one?

In that case, this is "the" one to go to. All others look like a bunch of Huckleberries compared to this one. It becomes a town for a week. Politicking, horse races, and fried everything.

autie 2 years, 9 months ago

I follow waka around waiting for him to drop change on the ground. After I collect enough I go buy a corndog.

Lawrence_Pilot 2 years, 9 months ago

I'd like to show my grandkids the 'carnies. They are the lowest forms of human life in America, so it's fun to look at them like animals in the zoo.

Bill Lee 2 years, 9 months ago

The Douglas County Free Fair is pretty cheap entertainment, it's too hot this year for me to consider going. If it were cooler, I'd enjoy showing my grandkids the animals.

RoeDapple 2 years, 9 months ago

Years ago I worked with a man whose family were carnies. He said they were like locusts, going from town to town, stealing anything that wasn't tied down. I'm pretty sure they took a flatbed trailer from a construction site in K.C. in the eighties. He seemed to want to talk boutit a lot . . .

Gandalf 2 years, 9 months ago

Stalk fairgoers who put ketchup on their corndogs.

RoeDapple 2 years, 9 months ago

Nothing "fair" boutit. It's "extremely" hot. Smelly. Expensive. And for all but a handful of entrants, extremely disappointing.

Yeah, I was always picked last on the playground too . . .

riverdrifter 2 years, 9 months ago

Catch walleye and brook trout in Minnesota. Bye.

SouthSide 2 years, 9 months ago

Me and cousin Virgil used to go to the fair when we was kids, but we don't go no more. Why they used to have the two-headed calfs and the three-legged chickens and the bearded lady and the man who could pop his eyes out, we loved all that stuff, but now its all about tryin' to get us to buy stuff made in China. Virgil won't go no more, says the fair ain't fair and I ain't about to go by myself with Granma, cause she'll just get more tattoos with the gov'nurs face on 'em for herself and the kids.