Previous   Next

Should raises for city employees be included in the Lawrence budget for 2012?

Asked at Dillons, 1015 West 23rd St. on July 13, 2011

Browse the archives

“I think they probably make enough already. They get bigger bonuses than we do.”

“I worked as a city employee in Kansas City and we had wage freezes. It would be nice not to have a freeze, but until the economy gets better I don’t see how they can justify paying more.”

“I think there’s probably been enough people who have lost their homes in the last few years so I don’t think so. I don’t think it’s fair.”

“Honestly, yes.”

Comments

HollisBrown 2 years, 9 months ago

Dude, I just thought it was a given that I'm a pothead. Al that other stuff is bad for you and has ruined my life.

CWGOKU 2 years, 9 months ago

All right! The U.S. beat those truffle sniffing, thin pancake eaters in the women's world cup soccer match! I wonder who Autie was rooting for?

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 2 years, 9 months ago

The mobile edition uses Comic Sans? Seriously?

unbelievable

Cait McKnelly 2 years, 9 months ago

Actually, I do think they should get raises. But only if they are on an hourly wage. This includes the trash collectors, the street sweepers, the parking meter readers, etc. If you are a salaried employee, you already make enough. LE has a union to fight for them so no automagic raise for you. Make your union do the job you pay them for.

HollisBrown 2 years, 9 months ago

Cold Irons Bound=Headed for the Nuthouse. I'm not crazy about the latest version. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGLXMB...

HollisBrown 2 years, 9 months ago

For you, CW? Anything. Last word on drugs for today. I have no use for cocaine, crack, meth, or amphetamines. I'm plenty "up" on my own. My lifelong loves have been booze, benzos, morphiates, painkillers, and tranqilizers. Here's how to live the life of a cokehead, without the coke: 1. Take $10,000, put it in a pile in the yard, and light it on fire. 2. Go inside your house and destroy everything you can get your hands on. 3. Call everyone who loves you or cares even the slightest and tell them to go to hell. There you have it.

HollisBrown 2 years, 9 months ago

Rock on, Babboy! Hey, when is Bedlam and Mayhem day?

BABBOY 2 years, 9 months ago

Lots of people including ljworld reporters making assumptions that are not true. To read this silly paper, city workers are making as much as CEO at AIG.

Poor coverage by the LJworld spinning this crap.

Might as well be reading the the Capital Journal in Topeka which loves to make City issues into major fights to sell papers......

ivalueamerica 2 years, 9 months ago

If we do not give them a raise and then loose them to higher paying jobs, how much will it cost us to replace them?

CWGOKU 2 years, 9 months ago

As a fiscal officer that is an odd question, if they get raises, they have to be in the budget. Do you mean, should the employees get raises? But then again, this is apathy day, so I don't care. Where are the drugs Hollis?

rockchalker52 2 years, 9 months ago

My friend, Gus, nabbed a raise. Well, a nice little benny, anyway, as he got an ipad. He said, before they handed them out, his super was going around asking if folks wanted a horizontal one or a vertical one.

prospector 2 years, 9 months ago

Hey, if they will take raisin for pay, I have no problem with that.

g_rock 2 years, 9 months ago

Only for those that do NOT have anything to do with tearing up Lawrence streets. If there is an orange cone....no raise for you!

Flap Doodle 2 years, 9 months ago

And add a few million for unicorn habitat restoration!

HollisBrown 2 years, 9 months ago

More fun with synthetic designer drugs. Ambien and Lunesta. They are both hypnotics and they're horrible. Rather than sleeping, they put you in a hypnotic trance and you hallucinate. The good thing is you can't get addicted and you can't OD. Wait, caveat. I'm strictly talking about me. Do not try this. The normal scrip for Ambien is one 5 or 10mg tablet per night. I got 30 10mg's and took all of them at once. I'm pretty sure I didn't sleep. I have no idea what I did for 8-10 hours but when I finally was aware I was standing in my living room in my underwear. I felt really out of it the rest of the day.

HollisBrown 2 years, 9 months ago

Drugs? Okay. Be careful with Benadryl and OTC sleep aids. The directions say take 2, but since I have the tolerance of an elephant I usually need 3-4 to help me sleep. Do not take more than that. You'll get what I call a kickback, complete opposite effect. I took half a bottle of Nytol once and I was slamming off the walls. I kept hearing this voice telling me to pull down my pants and wax my dolphin. I finally gave in, but it didn't help me sleep.

autie 2 years, 9 months ago

I don't care.

Apathy and Soldier of Fortune magazine live unprecedently G & T's all around.

thuja 2 years, 9 months ago

Tell us more about drugs, Hollis!

HollisBrown 2 years, 9 months ago

Yes, they should raze the city in 2012. They already started, on Kasold between 23rd and 31st and many other places around town.

hitme 2 years, 9 months ago

Did their performance reduce expenses enough to reward them with a raise?

Due to the cutback of state services, the city will likely incur more costs from those in need.

Would it make any sense at all to increase taxes to provide raises?

I only wish the city commission election was tomorrow, so we could get rid of Cromwell before he can do more damage. Absolutely no fiscal responsibility.