Previous   Next

What’s the best perk that has come with a job you have had?

Asked at Hy-Vee, 3504 Clinton Parkway on July 12, 2011

Browse the archives

“I was on the cart staff at a country club and I got free golf every week. I could bring a guest on, too.”

“The biggest incentive is knowing that I’m helping others change their lives.”

“I worked at a racquet club and that got me half off all tennis stuff there.”

“I made doughnuts one summer and I got any doughnut that broke in the process of cooking it. So, free doughnuts.”

Comments

squarepusher 3 years, 4 months ago

I have to laugh at what riverdrifter said, mainly because ku_law seems to post first a lot. lol.

Pitt_Mackeson 3 years, 4 months ago

I was a drug dealer once so the perks are obvious. Other jobs with perks: Gas jockey, cattle hustler, hustler, slaver, butcher, dog whisperer, horse whisperer, janitor, grease monkey, Chancellor of Nazi Germany, and of course butt doctor. Especially the last one though.

somedude20 3 years, 4 months ago

That ain't a perk if you work at Ci Ci's, Pizza Butt, Papa's John and Murphy, Gambino's, Pizza Shuttle or Little Ceasar's Now if it is Rudy's, Wheat State (sometimes), or Pyramid (PaPa K's has been too hit or miss these days) then you are lucky. I wish more places did a Sicilian pie

beatrice 3 years, 4 months ago

Worked in a major department store that had a ticket outlet. This was back in the days when people used to line up overnight to buy tickets. I would ask them to pull tickets before the store opened, and then I'd come in at the end of the day, after the lines were gone, to pay and pick up my great tickets. Front row seats for a LOT of amazing shows. The best was probably Frank Zappa.

RoeDapple 3 years, 4 months ago

I gots 'bout a 90 day supply of Celebrex , but no loratabs.

RoeDapple 3 years, 4 months ago

Ouch! Tore a rotator cuff in '98 benching 335. Even after surgery, PT and 13 years that sucker wakes me up yelling every now and then. Like just yesterday . .

RoeDapple 3 years, 4 months ago

perks. retirement. ten years, two months, eleven days and fourteen hours so far. not that I'm keeping track.

RoeDapple 3 years, 4 months ago

ku_law is our Pavlov and we are his pups. Every day he barks out the same command to see how we react. We pups can either respond or ignore. From now on this old dog chooses ignore.

Flap Doodle 3 years, 4 months ago

Handling the very-slightly outdated Godiva chocolates that their rep removed from the showcase. I was working in the electronics department right beside the Godiva display. We made sure that none of the outdated material got sold.

geekin_topekan 3 years, 4 months ago

100% gas reimbursement, breakfast, phone bill paid.

Charge services to myself, then to receive 50% commission regardless. Like borrowing 100 and paying back 50.

grammaddy 3 years, 4 months ago

Taking care of the grands. Not the highest paying job I ever had, but definitely the best perks.Hugs hugs and more hugs.

nathan_bs 3 years, 4 months ago

Where to begin? A sandwich place I used to work at STILL gives me 1/2 price sammy's (I haven't worked there for over 2 years) A coffee shop I used to work at gave me 1/2 price coffee drinks even a year later (that unfortunately has dried up since then).

But honestly the best perk comes with being a teacher. I'm talking about summers off, and the option to take a 12-month pay scale as opposed to a 9-month, so that the paychecks still come in while not working. Find me next summer at the pool. Every day. Getting paid. And volunteering at music festivals - the free-admission perk is pretty good, even if your job is sorting trash or cleaning up at the end. (just sayin)

notanota 3 years, 4 months ago

Health, dental, retirement, paid vacation. I'm very pragmatic that way.

rockchalker52 3 years, 4 months ago

aw, man, now my head's spinning, Roe. Do ya s'pose ku_law is actually the peep who posts the question? I'm working towards my Conspiracy Badge in remedial scouting.

Bill Lee 3 years, 4 months ago

I worked in radio for 25 years and got free music, free t-shirts, free concert tickets (most with backstage passes) and free Royals tickets. I got out of radio to move back to Lawrence. What was I thinking?????

rumor_man 3 years, 4 months ago

I'm a male prostitute so I have to many perks to mention here.

somedude20 3 years, 4 months ago

Cute nurses but they don't stay cute for long (like puppies). After a year of working the night shift, eating vendding machine junk just to stay awake, they tend to pack on the pounds. You can count the rings of a tree to know its age well you can count the rolls of blubber on a nurse and know how long they have been in that profession. Of course I am exaggerating but there is a hint of truth to it; having said that, (Thanks Larry David) there is nothing like a young cute nurse in that uniform

Kendall Simmons 3 years, 4 months ago

Working at the Ft. Worth Zoo and feeding grapes to the Kodiak bear who stood up 10' tall and pierced them individually with his 4" long claws, then plopped them like hors d'oueves on toothpicks into his mouth.

KSChick1 3 years, 4 months ago

do you ever sexually harass yourself and then send yourself home for punishment? now THAT would be a couple of perks right there

ThisIsLife 3 years, 4 months ago

Worked at a bank for a few years and the best part was the holiday parties we had!

squarepusher 3 years, 4 months ago

Worked at construction rental company in California. Free items from vendors and got to use just about everything from a lawnmower to a water truck at no charge. Doesn't sound like much of a perk until you need to move, clean your carpet, mow the lawn, lay down some sidewalk or pick up 5 yards of mulch.

BorderRat 3 years, 4 months ago

Worked at a gas station back in the days when it was a real "service station." The owner would always let us take our cars through the car wash or do an oil change if it was slow. Even though gas was only about 50 cents a gallon back then, he'd let us top the tanks off if we worked on the weekend. Not bad perks for a high school kid working a summer job.

the_realest_mccoy 3 years, 4 months ago

I liked working the bar at Paradise Saloon. There were so many perks to that job I don't even know where to begin. Free Ta Tas, free booze and free drugs, and the occasional stripper slumber parties at my house. Ah, the good ol days! Oh yeah, and having the Leavenworth, Jefferson, and Douglas county sheriff's departments in my back pocket was cool too.

KSChick1 3 years, 4 months ago

+1 that is the funniest thing I've seen all day...made me laugh out loud

garyr 3 years, 4 months ago

When I had my dental license, and I would put the pretty women under ansthesia.

1029 3 years, 4 months ago

Sometimes I take cleaning supplies home. Mop heads, multipurpose cleaner, sponges, etc. It's a totally awesome deal and it saves me money.

Shane Garrett 3 years, 4 months ago

Free phone, Free car, Free gas, Free of any type of relationship. Always on the road visiting many I-35, I-70 & I-55 gals. Slowed down a bunch these days. Am I missing all that, not really. Love being berated by the wife, love driving every day in my own car, paying gas and cell phone, with nobody to call. Only reason I have it is so the wife can track me. Maybe I am missing those travel days. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Deja Coffin 3 years, 4 months ago

Not sure, but I do enjoy being able to work from home and on a part-time basis..... for now.

The biggest perk my kids enjoy from my cake/cupcake making is I always try to make a couple extra cupcakes for them or at least let them lick the frosting off the beaters when I'm done.

geoismeo 3 years, 4 months ago

I was a pinboy at Hillcrest bowling lanes. Free bowling!