Previous   Next

What is your favorite cereal?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on July 10, 2011

Browse the archives

“I don’t know. Right now I have Cheerios. I must like them because I have regular and honey nut.”

“Wheaties.”

“I usually reach for what sounds the most unhealthy, like Cookie Crisp.”

“I like to mix Rice Chex and Raisin Bran. It gives me the taste and the daily fiber I require.”

Comments

awhatha 3 years, 5 months ago

I missed you, even though it was only a day.

Greenbird 3 years, 5 months ago

Hmmm, how was this OTS asked on July 10, in daylight, when it is just now the early morning hours of July 10? As for the question--I want me some Cap'n Crunch!

riverdrifter 3 years, 5 months ago

Wheat state Golden. ksu_law was done pissed and jumped right on it tonight, btw.

Chrissy Neibarger 3 years, 5 months ago

I better say corn pops before they are gone and I can't answer this question anymore...

RoeDapple 3 years, 5 months ago

Empty carbs out of a box for the most important meal of the day? No. Might as well start the day with a 6-pack. Of Lite beer.

RoeDapple 3 years, 5 months ago

Wheat Chex. Along with Corn and Rice Chex, Cheerios, cheese puffs, pretzels, mixed nuts and garlic butter. And a 6-pack of Lite beer. But not for breakfast. Geez, I can't think of anything more disgusting. Well, yes I can. But not for breakfast.

RoeDapple 3 years, 5 months ago

Okay, one exception. Grape Nuts. And not the flakes, I want the crunchy little nuggets. Mix in some brown sugar and raisins, butter and cream then warm it up. Cook an egg, two pieces of bacon, toast and coffee to go with it. Eat everything but the cereal first then if you're still hungry eat it. If not, give it to the dog. He probably won't want it either . . .

Cait McKnelly 3 years, 5 months ago

Remember when dog food actually looked like Grape Nuts? My dad accidentally poured milk and sugar on a bowl full of it once. Got about a third of the way through it before he figured out what was "funny" about the taste of it.

RoeDapple 3 years, 5 months ago

If you have trouble getting going in the morning try some Bran Buds. I guarantee you'll be going by noon . . .

Cait McKnelly 3 years, 5 months ago

This was so funny I shared it with my husband. His response: "LOL whut?"

Cait McKnelly 3 years, 5 months ago

"What's a Wild Turkey Likker?" "A little pilgrim about this high."

RoeDapple 3 years, 5 months ago

Well I will admit cooking isn't my greatest strength. However . . . If I waited for Mrs Roe to fix my breakfast I might whither away to a mere shadow of myself !! Just yesterday I was up at 5 AM fixing pancakes, eggs and bacon for the men's group. The guys tell me they is in the same boat, and one even said when it's his turn to fix breakfast at home he gets out two bowls, two spoons, milk and cornflakes. When I got back home at 9:00 the little woman was sitting down to a cup of tea and one scrambled egg with salsa on it. I could never maintain this beautiful physique on that.

trinity 3 years, 5 months ago

Quisp. but i don't think they make that any more. i ♥ the special K vanilla&almond-and that's about it.

LadyJ 3 years, 5 months ago

Whatever is on the clearance rack, but usually eat cereal for an afternoon snack. Plain toast and coffee is about all I can stomach first thing. Once that settles, in about an hour, then anything goes. I say we all show up at Roe's for brunch next weekend, biscuits and gravy should be easy enough for him to make. Maybe a little wine in the gravy for those like Hollis.

RoeDapple 3 years, 5 months ago

B&G is one of my best! Still use the old Army gravy recipe my dad taught me

geekin_topekan 3 years, 5 months ago

What ever happened to Super Sugar Crisps w/Sugar bear. ANd whatever happened to Sugar Frosted Flakes and Sugar Smacks. Heck, what happened to Boo Berries?

Cait McKnelly 3 years, 5 months ago

I used to love Instant Ralston but can't find it anymore. My FIL and I used to fight over the grits when we went to Cracker Barrel. Neither my husband or MIL eat them. (I miss that man ): ) Other than that, oats and anything made from the. Cheerios, Special K oats and Honey, granola and the like.

RoeDapple 3 years, 5 months ago

cait. My dad's recipe for sausage gravy army style is this. No measurements. Just lots of fresh ground sausage, flour, salt, pepper and milk. prepared as you would any other gravy. His secret? If you don't burn it there won't be any left no matter how much you make. I do cheat and use flaky canned biscuits though. Gravy like this can make hard tack taste good.

LadyJ 3 years, 5 months ago

The way I was taught was to add the flour slowly to the cooked sausage and grease until the grease is completely absorbed, , then add milk and cook until thickened. Is this about the same method? I do like to use white pepper.

RoeDapple 3 years, 5 months ago

Yep! I turn the heat off after the sausage is thoroughly cooked, let it cool a bit then add the flour, salt and pepper. After mixing it all up I add the milk then turn the heat back up to medium/high. Stir, stir, stir until it thickens. Perfect every time.

rockchalker52 3 years, 5 months ago

all right! I be do this soon! Thanx, you two!

Cait McKnelly 3 years, 5 months ago

This is exactly the way I make it :) Cook and crumble the sausage, add enough flour to absorb the grease and add milk. Cook and stir until thickened. Sometimes, if I want to get a little fancy with it, I'll add some Mrs. Dash yellow cap or some Montreal steak seasoning (which isn't anything but sea salt, garlic, red pepper, white pepper and black pepper) but it's just as good without it. Speaking of, I use Montreal steak seasoning on a LOT; mashed potatoes, fried potatoes, veggies, etc. It's my "go to" seasoning and I keep a huge restaurant size bottle on the back of my stove. My sister gets it for me from Restaurant Depot.

RoeDapple 3 years, 5 months ago

I have found an excellent turkey sausage that I intend to try soon. Two of the guys in our group do not eat pork for religious reasons and one has an allergy issue. I tasted turkey sausage gravy at a small cafe in Liberty, MO. and was impressed with the flavor. Maybe next month.

LadyJ 3 years, 5 months ago

You may need to add a little oil (olive?) if the turkey sausage does not produce enough grease.

Rae Hudspeth 3 years, 5 months ago

Guess I'm the only weirdo in America who doesn't like cereal.

beatrice 3 years, 5 months ago

Dexter

The question was about serial killers, correct?

LadyJ 3 years, 5 months ago

"Colonial housewives served popcorn with sugar and cream for breakfast (the first "puffed" breakfast cereal)."

Another interesting fact I read once is that if you take a glass of liquid and and popped corn, the level of the liquid will not rise.

Pitt_Mackeson 3 years, 5 months ago

hmmm.... I guess Jeffrey Dahmer was pretty cool. He was a cereal killer.

Elaine Elliott 3 years, 5 months ago

Uuummm Joe Beyer is adorable. Great job ljworld.