Previous   Next

What is your favorite summertime vacation destination?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on July 8, 2011

Browse the archives

“I’d go home to Colorado, but if I was there and could choose a vacation spot I’d say Florida. Somewhere on the beach. Maybe Orlando, too.”

“I don’t really ever go anywhere in the summer. But Mexico because it’s really nice.”

“San Francisco. I just like the weather and the city.”

“Hawaii. I went once. The weather is perfect. You get really tan and don’t have to sweat.”

Comments

riverdrifter 2 years, 9 months ago

pendragons(Gene Wallace) says…

"Copper Harbor on the Keweenaw Peninsula of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan."

Ah a man of taste! I'd say Grand Marais, Minnesota.

Gene Wallace 2 years, 9 months ago

Copper Harbor on the Keweenaw Peninsula of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Yooper Country. And, Redwood Country on the Pacific Coast.

panzermike007 2 years, 9 months ago

Well, as I write this, I am looking out of my livingroom windo at the statue of Lenin in Lenin Square in Moscow, Russia.

Cait McKnelly 2 years, 9 months ago

I like to go back to places where I lived before; the Pacific Northwest (adore their rocky, wild beaches and extinct volcanoes. Well, one of them is not so extinct.) and the south end of the Appalachias. (Why does that guy on "Coal" call it "the Appalatchas" with no long a's? Y'aint from around thar , air ya?) I miss my Mommy In Law and wish I could see her :(

prospector 2 years, 9 months ago

Getting my Rocky Mountain fix.

tange 2 years, 9 months ago

My favorite summertime vacation destination was razed.

/ and my childhood home now is a parking lot.

somedude20 2 years, 9 months ago

I was planning on going to the Lawrence SRS office this Summer but that changed. I take vacations in the Winter because the Summer is when I break into houses and take people's chit so that I can afford to take a vc in Winter. If you guys could just please email me plans that would be great. Have a Whitney of a day!

gphawk89 2 years, 9 months ago

Summit County. Summer or winter.

HollisBrown 2 years, 9 months ago

Years ago this friend of mine was doing some work near Tulsa. He stayed at the Adamar Inn motel. Evidently, the joint failed the standards of Ramada and wasn't allowed to keep the name. So the owner kept the letters and just spelled it backward. True story.

HollisBrown 2 years, 9 months ago

Damn right, CW. Like I say, there but for the Grace of God go I. I almost drank myself to death once in a room in that very motel 8 years ago. I don't know what it was called then, not the Ramada, but at least it had a real sign, not a flimsy plastic banner.

CWGOKU 2 years, 9 months ago

Hollis, stay out of Lawrence hotels, they can be dangerous places!

HollisBrown 2 years, 9 months ago

Trouble paying your taxes? Need someone to get between you and the IRS? Well, don't call that fat guy on those Tax Masters commercials. You''l have to drop a few grand up front and they won't be able to help you. Plus, I think Mr. Portly is facing several indictments right now. You might as well spend your money on a legitimate, horrible, horrible attorney. They won't help you either. The IRS does not make deals, unless it's completely to their benefit. I'm good friends with Bankruptcy, too. Your student lons and delinquent taxes will not be discharged. I actually took a crack at being a revenuer at KDOR once. After 3 weeks of waking up vomiting, I didn't go anymore. I didn't quit, I just didn't go anymore, like that guy in "Office Space". http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4B0pL...

Flap Doodle 2 years, 9 months ago

The temperature at Sitka, AK is supposed to top out around 60 today. Get me there now!

BABBOY 2 years, 9 months ago

I usually travel in the winter to avoid the cold. I like warm weather and actually like Kansas this time of the year.

Not a fan of winter.

Used to go to Hawaii a lot but have kids that are really too young for that flight across ocean.....

We are going to Florida for weekend to watch KSU vs The U and kids will probably stay with grandparents for little 3 day trip (not really winter but something to do)

CWGOKU 2 years, 9 months ago

More importantly, what are Whitney's vacation plans?

CWGOKU 2 years, 9 months ago

The beach. Utopia. Or the happy place in my imagination

autie 2 years, 9 months ago

?? Last week was nothing but Oreo cookies and Iced tea.

facebook adventure? was I on facebook last week? Damn, another adventure and I missed it.

Hollis, that Dylan person at farm aid..some rocker I've never heard of, is he your love child?

The_Original_Bob 2 years, 9 months ago

" or off (or on) his meds"

Definately "on" his meds if his Facebook adventure of last week is to be any indication.

HollisBrown 2 years, 9 months ago

Yes, Autie and I are kindred spirits. I mix my meds with my booze, but I have a feeling Autie is a little more responsible/mature than me. Just a little.

HollisBrown 2 years, 9 months ago

Autie, I hope you take your smartphone with you. I don't have any fun when you're not here. I'll be damned. I guess they do still use the cotton gin. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Gin...

HollisBrown 2 years, 9 months ago

Farm Aids? No, thanks. I already have a cold, and that Farm Aids sounds like a nasty strain. You can thank, or maybe blame, Uncle Bob for Farm Aid. When he played Live Aid in 1985, the USA for Africa thing, he mentioned to Wille Nelson or somebody that it would be nice if we could keep some of the money here to help the farmers. I didn't know there were farmers anymore. I thought they went the way of the cotton gin. But it's all good. Big politician telling lies; Restaurant kitchen all full of flies. Don't make a bit of difference; don't see why it should. But it's alright, cause its all good. Its all good. Its all good.

autie 2 years, 9 months ago

Be on vacation tomorrow. I forgot. I'm taking some city kids (female type city kids) out for a little fishing expedition. I guess I should be ready for some OMG and Ecckkkkk! Catch a nine pound catfish and cook him in the pan.

LadyJ 2 years, 9 months ago

At this rate, they may need to do a Lawrence Aid.

The_Original_Bob 2 years, 9 months ago

Farm Aid? Time Magazine tells me farming is akin to investment banking.

Dumbass East Coast media.

My favorite summer destination is the back stoop. Cheap, shady and I don't really have to go anywhere.

grammaddy 2 years, 9 months ago

My sister's, in western New York state wine country!!!

Gandalf 2 years, 9 months ago

My recliner. The best place to suck down booze with my laptop and make stupid posts!

thuja 2 years, 9 months ago

— Jeff Delaroy, unemployed, Colorado

Jeff, you're on vacation right now!

g_rock 2 years, 9 months ago

Anyplace but here.

As a yute, we too family vacations south to Florida or Texas. My dad always said it was crazy to go to warmer places during the hottest month of the year.

I would like some Appalachian Mountains, a cabin, a cooler and either a lake or a river.

Though I wouldn't turn down a palm tree, sand and a cocktail as long as there are cute cabana boys.

RoeDapple 2 years, 9 months ago

I might sign up for some that farm aid. The dern deer is givin' my garden hell this year. 'Cept for the okra. Even the deer don't like it . . .

autie 2 years, 9 months ago

Farm Aid? When is the Autie Aid benfit? I have hungry grandchildrens and the corn didn't come in this year. And we already ate all the squirrels on this block.

RoeDapple 2 years, 9 months ago

In other news . . Bob Dylan has been signed up for next months Farm Aid benefit in Northeast Kansas. Maybe Joan will sing with him there . .

RoeDapple 2 years, 9 months ago

Damn . . . nine hours of sleep last night. Forgot what it's like to have both eyes focus at the same time . . .

RoeDapple 2 years, 9 months ago

The refrigerator. No, not the one in the kitchen, the one in the garage. That's where I keep the good stuff.

RugerLCP 2 years, 9 months ago

Why am I addicted to staying up until the OTS is posted just to see if ku_law is first.

Caneoing the huzzah river in steelville mo. Going in a couple weeks...

HollisBrown 2 years, 9 months ago

Hows about a funny Bob Dylan story. Bob was playing a concert in NYC at Irving Plaza Dec. 8th 1997, where the opening act was Joan Osborne, who made the mistake of singing "The Man in the Long Black Coat", one of Bob's songs. After singing her set she was at the bar drinking, and it is a small place...maybe two thousand...Dylan had just finished his first seven, eight, songs and was introducing the band and thanking the opening act...All of a sudden he says: "And I'd also like to thank Joan Osborne;Joan and I is gonna sing a song..." and Joan in the back stands up to come to the stage, when Dylan says: "But not tonight."

HollisBrown 2 years, 9 months ago

My bathroom. You wouldn't believe the fun I have in there. I wish I could tell you, but Sandy would get mad at me. Oh Sandy the aurora is risin' behind us The pier lights our carnival life on the water Runnin' down the beach at night with my boss's daughter Well he ain't my boss no more Sandy Sandy that waitress I was seein' lost her desire for me I spoke with her last night she said she won't set herself on fire for me anymore