Previous   Next

How old should a child be before they have a Facebook account?

Asked at Target, 3201 Iowa St. on January 31, 2011

Browse the archives

“Twelve. Pretty much when they’re old enough to know what they’re doing online. Parents should still monitor that activity closely.”

“It would depend. Kids learn quickly. Middle schoolers would spend too much time being unproductive. It’s not about the age, it’s about the individual.”

“If controlled, maybe 16 or 17.”

Comments

Bill Lee 3 years, 10 months ago

I'll be generous and say 8 seems about right. Young enough to benefit from the reading and writing skills it helps develop, and old enough to be responible to follow parental guidelines.

RoeDapple 3 years, 10 months ago

As soon as they get a SS#. Be sure they include it on their info page.

raginredhead 3 years, 10 months ago

Facebook's rule is age 13. I'm sure no preteen has ever broken it.

rockchalker52 3 years, 10 months ago

They should be old enough to know better and young enough to help me figure it out.

Chelsea Kapfer 3 years, 10 months ago

13 sounds good, but my son will probably disagree with that.

WHY 3 years, 10 months ago

Depends how old the kids is when he takes his first jello shot off an ugly hooker, maybe 14-15. What is the point of doing that if you can't share it with your friends.

BillybobThorten 3 years, 10 months ago

Jr high is too young. As a parent, I monitor my kids facebook, and I am amazed at some of the stuff 6th grade-9th grade kids put out there. Most of it is not overtly mean, but I would liken it to a kid who hands out his birthday party invitations in class......right in front of the kids who he isnt inviting. "I scored 20 today in the game against south"....." I'm with Bill, Joe, Phil and Bo"...." what a sleepover at Suzies"......" That was a great party at Coles"...etc etc.....and, it is not limited to girls...the boys are just as bad. In general, Parents need to monitor FB, and kids are putting Wayyyy to much information out there.

FloridaSunshine 3 years, 10 months ago

@Billybob...You don't think it's overtly mean for a kid to hand out invitations to his birthday party...right in front of the kids he isn't inviting????!!!

he_who_knows_all 3 years, 10 months ago

It's a socializing site for people smarter/older than you.

boxers_or_briefs 3 years, 10 months ago

Some people just don't know everything know_it_all

Michelle Hayes 3 years, 10 months ago

As was mentioned, the rule on facebook is 13 and the user has to certify they are at least 13. It's hard to tell your child they can't lie when so many of their friends less than 13 already have facebook accounts. HHmmm.

alm77 3 years, 10 months ago

use the "block" feature. When someone posts a message from a game and you're not interested, click on the "x" and then choose the "block all messages from (this game)" option. Voila! No more annoying messages!

Kontum1972 3 years, 10 months ago

fresh out of the oven...."poppin fresh"...

i do not have a facebook account....thats too much information floating around out there...and people worried about J. Edgar Hoover.....we have seen the enemy..and the enemy is "Us".

looza 3 years, 10 months ago

14......or if you have a job and dont accept govt. assistance.

slowplay 3 years, 10 months ago

Give them an iPad as they pop out of the womb. A slap on the back and a facebook account. It's never too early to jump on the social media merry go round.

he_who_knows_all 3 years, 10 months ago

The younger the better. Anything to keep them from interacting with people who spend all day here on the ljworld web site.

irvan moore 3 years, 10 months ago

i'm old but i think kids (and others) should make real friends, interact on a personel level and develop REAL social skills.

rockchalker52 3 years, 10 months ago

I have a rotary dial phone, too. Sometimes I forget & use it to call places like Sunfl...er, Knology. "For technical support, please press two." Uh, durk!!

FloridaSunshine 3 years, 10 months ago

Do so, please...I'd be interested in knowing your choices.

FloridaSunshine 3 years, 10 months ago

HA!! I am, indeed, a real person...not a figment of your imagination (just in case you were worried about that!)...you are not hallucinating.

My question is...why should I never agree with three-word simplistifications? Share a little of your light, hmmm? Some of your ethereal prose...I'm a fool for it!! :~)

FloridaSunshine 3 years, 10 months ago

HA!!! Love your interpretation!! :~)

It is very easy to assume things we want, or perhaps need, to assume. WHOOPS!!! Just made an ass out of u and me!

These threads are not to my liking...another way, please, LJW....

FloridaSunshine 3 years, 10 months ago

I'm clicking on your profile right now...and I'm expecting, well, I don't know what I'm expecting!!! s-m-i-l-e I have a feeling you will be shrouded in mystery...

FloridaSunshine 3 years, 10 months ago

Wow!! I would NEVER have figured you a fan of "The National" and "Band of Horses"!!!!!

The Kinks...ok...from your posts, you're certainly NOT like anyone else...which is an excellent trait!

I was right about your profile being shrouded in mystery, though. I won't tell you what I was expecting to find out...(that will be MY little mystery...)

FloridaSunshine 3 years, 10 months ago

Maybe we should all boycott threaded comments! They are a mess...

"Granted, I am cloaked, and not without cause." That sentence can mean only a few really BIG scenarios...

Kirk Larson 3 years, 10 months ago

Pretty soon you will be issued a Facebook page at birth along with your Social Security/cell phone number.

FloridaSunshine 3 years, 10 months ago

@BABBOY...I don't understand why you "see the need for your kids to be current on crap like that", as you so succinctly stated.

Children, if introduced early on to different forms of entertainment, find they excel at something and have a great love for it, can be "directed" by the parent via lessons (sports, music, the arts, etc.)...even if the child does not excel, he/she can enjoy the heck out of those activities. They won't have time in their busy lives for "crap like that"... especially if they are bonding with friends who are basically good kids (parents have to keep tabs on friends...from kindergarten on...)...we all know these things...but they take time. If you make a child, be ready to spend time on that child. It's only fair.

The word, "no", should be introduced to a child early on.

The most rewarding happening in life is to see a child you have parented, mentored, and loved beyond comprehension, becoming a leader rather than a follower. It's worth all the effort a parent or grandparent extends toward the child. Don't take the role of grandparent lightly. I have found it to be significantly important in the well-being of children. It is a very fortunate child who has parents and grandparents "in sync" regarding that child's best interest.

pace 3 years, 10 months ago

I think the first sonogram. The new sonograms are fantastic, great details.

shotgun 3 years, 10 months ago

I agree with Hollis, never. If you have a Facebook page, you are a chump. It is nothing more than an invasion of privacy and a marketing database scam that you are willfully giving information to!

booyalab 3 years, 10 months ago

As early as they want, as long as they accept my friend request and they only "like" wholesome things like vegetables and studying.

sr80 3 years, 10 months ago

21 yrs,living on their own,stable job,paid back all loans to me,in other words when they are a child / adult!!