Previous   Next

Do you read graphic novels?

Browse the archives

“No, I do not.”

“No, I don’t. I haven’t found any good ones I guess.”

“Nope. They don’t interest me.”

Comments

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 3 years, 2 months ago

No Kookamooka, It is definitely the store branded by the design of alternating red and white concentric circles. "The Great Sale Event" is the kicker, they are shooting to take sales from other stores.

Whoops, I used the word shooting. Damn me.

There are other big box stores out there besides evil Walmart.

Kookamooka 3 years, 2 months ago

I'm with Pywacket. That is definately Hastings. I actually own a graphic novel of Pride and Prejudice. I also think the graphic novel has alot of potential. It's basically like reading the storyboard for a movie. It's a more sophisticated version of a comic but doesn't leave much to the readers imagination.

Henry_the_liberal 3 years, 2 months ago

I can't tell you where it is, but it rymes with Schmarget.

HollisBrown 3 years, 2 months ago

Just The Turner Diaries. Hey, I just saw somewhere else that Speedway Shell is closed. True? I don't get out much so I don't know. But it was the best spot for the OTS question, with DEA UFO Chasers and people like that.

HollisBrown 3 years, 2 months ago

"Damn P.C. goat fornicators, scared fecal mater-less by words. What a namby pamby world we live into day, it is sickening I blame Al Gore, damn sell out goat fornicator. I'm not afraid to to call a spade a bloody shovel."

Rock On, Ronaldo!!!!!!!!!!!!

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 3 years, 2 months ago

jonas, pywacket, Hollis is correct. Behind Mr. Ben is the electronics section of the store which must not be named because said name and or logo/trademark may incite some goat fornicator to do something bad. Plus, it is Sarah Palin's favorite store, just down the road from her place.
I am surprised that they use the name "Borders" when they ask the question there, with immigration issues being such a hot topic when they ask the question there.

Damn P.C. goat fornicators, scared fecal mater-less by words.

jonas_opines 3 years, 2 months ago

Watchmen was good. Won some major literary award (Hugo?) and they changed the rules afterwards to make sure no other comics (graphic novels!) could win again. Read some other comics as a kid, but they always cost too much to make a hobby out of it.

I, too, would guess Hastings.

tolawdjk 3 years, 2 months ago

If the LJW wanted to dig deeper, they could track down Jai Nitz...local boy done good in the comic book biz.

Pywacket 3 years, 2 months ago

Is that Hastings? Just a guess.

I don't read a lot of them, but of the ones I have read, one of my favorites is "Maus," by Art Spiegelman. I would also note that Spiegelman objects to the term "graphic novel," preferring the more accurate (as he says) term "comics."

I like the fact that he is so unpretentious and down-to-earth and I sadly suspect that some of the readers of "graphic novels" would consider themselves too adult and sophisticated to read the publications if they were all called "comics."

As an unapologetic comics fiend, I don't care what they're called as long as they are interesting and funny. If they connect on some deeper level (as "Maus" certainly does), that's one more level of enjoyment.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 3 years, 2 months ago

Reading is fine, but it is nothing compared to watching thespians...

CWGOKU 3 years, 2 months ago

I read about three books a month. Never been a graph in one of them.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 3 years, 2 months ago

But, however, I have watched "Painkiller Jane".

This morning I informed one of my male devil spawn that "titular" has nothing to do with boobies.

Life can be pretty graphic.

Happy Birthday to the beer can. 76, 20 more years and you can outlive Jack LaLanne.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 3 years, 2 months ago

I try to breath through my ears, It is a Zen experience.

prospector 3 years, 2 months ago

I sometimes write with graphite.

HollisBrown 3 years, 2 months ago

Years ago I punctured my eardrum. If I plugged my nose I could actually blow smoke out of my ear.

autie 3 years, 2 months ago

My five year old grand daughter told me that if you stick your fingers in your nose that you can breathe through your eyes...but Pappa, you have to put you glasses on to see the air.....

That is about as graphic as it gets around here anymore.

HollisBrown 3 years, 2 months ago

No. I'm minding my P's and Q's, all because of a W. I'm as giddy as a schoolboy. I've got butterflies in my stomach.

ophiuchus 3 years, 2 months ago

I just silly putty the good parts.

RoeDapple 3 years, 2 months ago

When I was a kid. Cave drawings. With charcoal.

sputum 3 years, 2 months ago

I find most graphs very boring. They're not very novel ideas.

bearded_gnome 3 years, 2 months ago

"graphic" means ...what?

they mean with illustrations? lolz! or do they mean with graphic violence?
graphic sex? graphic language?

me, I'd rather read a GUI novel, it's messier.

and labmonkey was first instead of kulaw, hurrah!

Cait McKnelly 3 years, 2 months ago

I read comic books when I was a kid. Read some manga a few years back just to see what it was all about. I'm a big fan of Neil Gaiman and he likes to do the occasional graphic short story. He got into it by writing comics back in the '80's.

thuja 3 years, 2 months ago

Jay! Jay!

tinkle tinkle Jay!!!!

labmonkey 3 years, 2 months ago

Nope. Where was this OTS asked?