Previous   Next

Do you think children of undocumented immigrants should be allowed to pay in-state tuition?

Asked at Hy-Vee, 4000 West 6th St. on January 22, 2011

Browse the archives

“Absolutely, yes.”

“Yes, education is really important. ”

“Sure. I think everybody ought to have a chance. Especially people coming from out of the country. ”

“I’m kind of a toss up on it. I would lean more toward yes and I’ve kind of known people in that situation before.”

Comments

independant1 3 years, 2 months ago

It's a political game. The greater problem is illegal immigration, it's not being addressed satisfactorily. Politicians avoid dealing with the larger problem w/efforts like 'in-state tuition for children of illegals' and Dream Act. They kick the real problem down the road. Could also be called avoidance.

It's a non issue. Get a grip on the larger rampant problem.

75x55 3 years, 2 months ago

Why stop there, just let everyone get education for free?

And free food, and free lodging too.

And no taxes.

sallyone 3 years, 2 months ago

probably not if their parents are here illeagelly.

solsken66 3 years, 2 months ago

Yes. If they have lived in Kansas for the period that meets the in-state tuition rate, then by all means they should be allowed to attend college at the in-state tuition rate.

autie 3 years, 2 months ago

I heard Kris Kobach was born in Rumania and was Phred Phelps illegal immigrant son.

ljreader 3 years, 2 months ago

Do not punish the "children." They're :here through no fault of their own- blah blah blah-

It's no fault of American citizens and taxpayers, either, but we're forced to bear the resulting costs of these kids being here. We've already paid K-12 tuition , free school breakfasts and lunches, and have absorbed medical costs for most of these kids since their arrival. Under no circumstances should the illegal parents be further rewarded for ignoring our laws. It's time to stop punishing everyone except those who bear the blame- the illegal alien parents who dragged their brood here and put them in this situation.

Give the "kids" in-state tuition and a path to citizenship with the stipulation that their parents will be deported and permanently banned from the US. It's time that those responsible- the parents- get some skin in the game.

Verdad 3 years, 2 months ago

A vast majority of college students are over the age of 18 and are thus adults. If they are here legally, then they should be allowed instate tuition without regards to the immigration status of their parents. If they are illegals, then they are not residents and should pay out of state if they are allowed to enroll at all.

George Lippencott 3 years, 2 months ago

Yes but in conjunction with establishing legal status.

sherbert 3 years, 2 months ago

I don't understand why they don't apply for legal status as required by law and as so many others have had to do. All of our ancestors came in and had to do the same. Why are they given special exceptions? If we didn't file tax returns or have legal status, we'd get the book (law book) thrown at us. Many people are in prison now for tax evasion, it's a crime. If I were living in Europe illegally, I'm sure they wouldn't give me social service benefits and reduced tuition. duh.

ophiuchus 3 years, 2 months ago

Having read the comments above, I say provide them a free college education, and require a concurrent internship at LJW... online editorial division.

sunny 3 years, 2 months ago

I want to pay for their health care, food, rent, and any thing else they need, too....

scott3460 3 years, 2 months ago

Charge the same rate for children of illegal immigrants who graduate from Kansas high school, but impose a hefty tax on their parent's employer for each child so enrolled This would likely rid us of this controversy (and not a few illegal immigrant job competitors.)

The_Original_Bob 3 years, 2 months ago

"Bob, make sure and take some cigarettes and prescription pills to the party. Get 'em started early, I always say."

Nah. The womenfolk won't cater to that.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 3 years, 2 months ago

I am not a fan of any wet placenta policy, if the parents are here illegally.

They and their goat fornicator supporters should be eradicated like weeds. http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=goat%20fornicator

Agnostick 3 years, 2 months ago

Yes, but only after certain conditions have been met. Mandatory military service is a good idea. It was also suggested that these youngsters "go to the back of the line" and start the proper citizenship process.

LogicMan 3 years, 2 months ago

It's simple and logical.

If the kids were born in the U.S. or are normalized, then they are U.S. citizens. If not, they aren't, and must pay out of state and have valid student visas.

If are U.S citizens and they have met the legal residency requirement in Kansas, then yes they should pay in state tuition. If not, then out of state.

HollisBrown 3 years, 2 months ago

Lame is not knowing the difference between legal and Illegal. Oh, I almost forgot, my wife is a legal immigrant. Yep, we jumped through every hoop, paid every penny, and waited for over a year for her to be able to live here. She's working on getting her citizenship because for some reason she likes it here. The whole "I'm gonna sneak into the U.S. and have some kids so I can stay" nonsense needs to be stopped. If you're here illegally, you have 2 options: Get the hell out and take your kids with you. Or get the hell out and leave the kids here. I will agree with Badge Boy that this page should not be a political or religious forum.

BABBOY 3 years, 2 months ago

LJworld, personally, I would prefer you not ask political questions on this forum. Your paper is full of many other stories and other ignorance on political issues in sections and articles through out your silly paper. Asking them here in your on the street question is just redundant..

As for the so called illegal immigrant issue, all of us, including the Native Americans, at some point came from somewhere else.

In America, the issue starting with the Irish immigrants in New York, to the Chinese immigrants in the Western States at the turn of the 20th Century, and now to the Hispanics is always about bigots and red necks being intimidated by competition.

Lame.

HollisBrown 3 years, 2 months ago

My father is a legal immigrant and a U.S. citizen. That should be enough to express my stance on the whole immigrant thing. Folks, it's sooooo simple. Grab a dictionary and look up the difference between legal and illegal.

HollisBrown 3 years, 2 months ago

They should have to memorize "Immigrant Song" before they can do anything. A-ah-ahh-ah, ah-ah-ahh-ah We come from the land of the ice and snow from the midnight sun where the hot springs blow The hammer of the gods will drive our ships to new lands To fight the horde and sing and cry, Valhalla, I am coming

The_Original_Bob 3 years, 2 months ago

"Oh nice, then they can drive their children home. Nice role model. Maybe if you drank less, you could afford a better education."

Perhaps.

/Gazes at my multiple degrees on the wall.

Randall Barnes 3 years, 2 months ago

why not Obama is an undouumeted imigrant and is president.

jstthefacts 3 years, 2 months ago

CHKNLTL 3 years, 2 months ago

I think every person should have to pay for their own college out of pocket. Tuition and State/Federal funding could be reduced dramatically if students paid for college alone. People who enroll in college because they are expected to and not because they want to get through an education program quickly to join the job force...there's a big difference in waste of money for these two groups. Colleges are oversized due to all the students who enroll only to drop out and having to fund it themselves they would probably not waste the time trying. Children of Illegal Immigrants should not even be allowed to attend public schools. They should have to pay for their own private schooling, like people did in the old days.

Scott Morgan 3 years, 2 months ago

Our state taxes go for running the schools. Most never ever break even and fund-raising is of big importance. This is for state funded universities only. Private colleges can do what they wish. Some charge out of state, some don't.

The break in tuition is a payback theoretically for parents and students paying state taxes. The out of state tuition is designed to match what the school really needs to charge to break even.

The_Original_Bob 3 years, 2 months ago

I don't give a crap. If they can afford what in-state tuition costs, then their folks are doing better than I am right now. Assuming they pay taxes. Which is probably a wrong assumption. In short, drinking starts early today. I'm going to a 6 year old's birthday party today and the father has lured the other fathers in by providing free beer. Smart man.

looza 3 years, 2 months ago

make them go into the military first then they get state tuition. Sir yes sir!

classclown 3 years, 2 months ago

Asked this on another story. Might as well ask it here as well.

Why do universities charge In state and Out of state tuition anyway? Why not just charge the same for everyone regardless of what state they live in?

fan4kufootball 3 years, 2 months ago

Sure - as long as they can find someone to pay their fair share of the taxes it takes to give them the education - because their parents are paying!

matthewlyon 3 years, 2 months ago

“Sure. I think everybody ought to have a chance. Especially people coming from out of the country. ”

Okay, Bob. Give your job to an illegal alien. He deserves a chance, especially since he came from out of the country.

autie 3 years, 2 months ago

I since my kid is a fourth generation Kansan and a third generation Jayhawk, I think she should only have to pay about one third the in state rate. That is only fair.

autie 3 years, 2 months ago

How many kids are we talking about? Five or Five hundred? Who cares anyway?

Flap Doodle 3 years, 2 months ago

No, but they deserve a free bus ride to whichever border their illegal alien parents are being deported across.

lilygrace 3 years, 2 months ago

Yes. If they are unfortunate to live in Kansas, they deserve something.

RoeDapple 3 years, 2 months ago

Sure! Unless they immigrated from Missouri. Or France . . .

ivalueamerica 3 years, 2 months ago

I never believed in punishing a child for the sins of the parents, in fact, I consider that concept inhumane.

goatdog 3 years, 2 months ago

I assume the article refers to the many illegal Canadians in our midst.

Bill Lee 3 years, 2 months ago

If they live in-state, they are in-state residents. If they graduate from a Kansas high school, I have no objection.

hitme 3 years, 2 months ago

Sure...in the country where their parents are legal residents.