Previous   Next

Do you know anyone who grinds their teeth?

Asked at Hobby Lobby, 1801 West 23rd St. on January 10, 2011

Browse the archives

“Yes, I do when I sleep. It started when I wore braces. ”

“No, not really.”

“No, I don’t.”

Comments

autie 4 years, 5 months ago

I know of two..a person I know and a creative freelancer I have never met....What does a freelancer do...creatively speaking?

RoeDapple 4 years, 5 months ago

"Yes I do when I sleep" Well, not so much anymore. I snore like a freight train though. Or so they tell me . . .

. . .RoeDapple, creative bullchipper

LadyJ 4 years, 5 months ago

If you're snoring you can't grind your teeth thus saving you money at the dentist. Mixed blessing for Mrs. RoeDapple.

RoeDapple 4 years, 5 months ago

Right. 'Cept ole Roe ain't the only snorererer under the Dapple sheets.

8-[

labmonkey 4 years, 5 months ago

Does your wife give you Dutch Ovens in retaliation?

LadyJ 4 years, 5 months ago

So then it's a race to see who can get to sleep first.

Flap Doodle 4 years, 5 months ago

My lance is not free but reasonable terms can be arranged.

KS 4 years, 5 months ago

Yes, me, and it has also cost me dearly at the dentist office for some repairs.

brujablanco 4 years, 5 months ago

You beat me to it! I was gonna lay odds you grind your teeth Tom Tom. Here are some suggestions that may help:

Although teeth grinding can be caused by stress and anxiety, it often occurs during sleep and is more likely caused by an abnormal bite or missing or crooked teeth

Other tips to help you stop teeth grinding include:

Avoid or cut back on foods and drinks that contain caffeine, such as colas, chocolate, and coffee.

Avoid alcohol. Grinding tends to intensify after alcohol consumption.

Do not chew on pencils or pens or anything that is not food. Avoid chewing gum as it allows your jaw muscles to get more used to clenching and makes you more likely to grind your teeth.

Train yourself not to clench or grind your teeth. If you notice that you clench or grind during the day, position the tip of your tongue between your teeth. This practice trains your jaw muscles to relax.

Relax your jaw muscles at night by holding a warm washcloth against your cheek in front of your earlobe.

If stress is causing you to grind your teeth, ask your doctor or dentist about options to reduce your stress. Attending stress counseling, starting an exercise program, seeing a physical therapist, or obtaining a prescription for muscle relaxants are among some of the options that may be offered. And for Gawd's sake stay off the LJW, stop listening to FOX News and learn to love thy neighbors. Hope this helps!

kernal 4 years, 5 months ago

Or, Tom, you could just get a bite splint.

LadyJ 4 years, 5 months ago

I think we need to send the JW a list of possible future OTS questions. How about "Dog or cat person" or "Biscuits or cornbread" or "Should a Hot Roast Beef sandwich (the kind with mashed potatoes and gravy) be open faced or have a second piece of bread on top" or "Pie or Cake"?

jonas_opines 4 years, 5 months ago

I guess I don't know them really, but there's about 20 people posting on these boards that I can't help but picture in a constant state of teeth-grinding due to what appears to be perennial rage syndrome or something.

LadyJ 4 years, 5 months ago

I did notice that they only found 3 people to answer the question where usually always before they found 4 people willing to participate. So was it the OTS question or that shoppers at Hobby Lobby aren't the kind that like to be featured in the paper?

nobody1793 4 years, 5 months ago

You can't grind your teeth when you're sucking your thumb.

coolmom 4 years, 5 months ago

apparently i have for years. it drives my dentist crazy and the hubby can even sometimes hear me over his snoring.

Ron Holzwarth 4 years, 5 months ago

Whenever we had watch duty at night in boot camp we sure did notice that quite a few men do grind their teeth in their sleep. And it's pretty loud, too.

I tend to doubt they did it only during boot camp.

Ron Holzwarth 4 years, 5 months ago

Sounds like a case of Tourette's syndrome to me. There isn't any real cure for it.

OwlHead 4 years, 5 months ago

I met this dude in D.C. that sounded like a CATFISH walking around because he was constantly grinding his teeth. UUUUUGHHH Nasty. makes me want a fried filet!!!

Ron Holzwarth 4 years, 5 months ago

Sounds just like The_Original_Bob's brother, and he might not have been able to do anything about it. It's called Tourette's syndrome, and I'm sure it's not pleasant to be that way.

Especially if people have no sympathy for your condition.