Previous   Next

How much should a college athletics director be paid?

Asked at Royal Crest Lanes, 933 Iowa St. on January 4, 2011

Browse the archives

“Some principals in Lawrence make $100,00 a year. KU is bigger so it should only fit they’d make more. ”

“Not as much as Lew Perkins was making. ”

“Not over $100,000. ”

“Not as much as they are. No more than five digits.”

Related story

Comments

ndmoderate 3 years, 11 months ago

OK, let's do some editing...please? "$100,00 a year" and "Not as much as the are."

Wow.

Now, to the question: Not more than the President of the US.

Flap Doodle 3 years, 11 months ago

Enough to make a socialist grind his teeth in impotent rage.

TopJayhawk 3 years, 11 months ago

they are worth excactly what they are paid, Or I should say a dollar less than me.

Henry_the_liberal 3 years, 11 months ago

If you want to know the answers to the important economic questions of the day, there is only one place to find them... the local bowling alley!

somedude20 3 years, 11 months ago

there are "actors" who make 20 mill a movie (A MOVIE!!!) so take what you can get i guess as the system and how it rewards for what one does in life is not reflective of the importance of that job to society. Police, military and teachers are just a few groups that are way more important than an actor or even KU's AD, but do not compensated as such. "Greed, for lack of a better word, is good"

Richard Heckler 3 years, 11 months ago

$17.50 per hour or no more than $77,500.

Big bucks guarantee nothing. KU did get some indictments.

Bill Lee 3 years, 11 months ago

Since my original post was removed, I'll try this again.

I think that the AD should be paid a commission, not a salary. He's a fundraiser, so pay him either two percent of what he generates or a base salary of $50,000 plus one percent of what he raises for the athletic department.

Richard Heckler 3 years, 11 months ago

This position cannot be anymore important than a college professor.

gl0ck0wn3r 3 years, 11 months ago

Let's use your logic and extend it. A college professor is worth X. I'm not sure what a liberal arts professor at KU makes on average, but let's say it is $60k. No doubt you would hold that a professor is more important than a guy who mows lawns. If X=$60,000 then how much should the guy mowing lawns make in Merrillland?

xclusive85 3 years, 11 months ago

The position may not be more important. That would be debatable, but here is something that is not.

A good to great athletic director does more for a university than a poor professor. Through my seven years at KU (I am working on a doctorate), I have had more poor professors than good to great professors. Several of these poor professors are making $80,000-$150,000 per year. Is that too much? I would think it is.

dogsandcats 3 years, 11 months ago

Then maybe they should discontinue the practice of tenure and pay professors according to teaching performance.

xclusive85 3 years, 11 months ago

I would whole heartedly agree with discontinuing tenure. I think that may be the biggest part of the problem. Also, many of the professors just don't know how to interact with students. Good interaction would go a long way.

gccs14r 3 years, 11 months ago

Maybe the problem isn't the professors.

xclusive85 3 years, 11 months ago

Are you suggesting it is me? Man, that would be the worst assumption you could make. I obtained two undergraduate degrees in three years and graduated summa cum laude. I understand that the classes are supposed to be challenging at my level of education. The problem I have is with the professors that seem to not care about their students. I am writing about the professors that make no effort to change or adapt teaching tactics based on their current students.

In fact, the best professor I have had at KU makes approximately $52,000 per year. I would argue that this professor cares more about his students and how they are learning valuable information more than any professor making $100,000+.

dogsandcats 3 years, 11 months ago

Well, since KU clearly values sports over academics, why not $6 million a year? $20 million? $85 million? Close down the useless departments like fine arts, math (no one likes math), all those namby-pamby liberal arts departments and funnel all the extra cash into sports! Woo!!! Rock chalk!!!!!

gccs14r 3 years, 11 months ago

No non-teaching personnel should earn more than the teaching personnel at an educational institution. No one in a supervisory role should earn more than 10% more than his highest-paid subordinate, no matter where they work.

jaywalker 3 years, 11 months ago

How arrogant do you have to be to question how much someone should make, particularly when you probably have no idea what the job entails?

tbaker 3 years, 11 months ago

When did how much money someone makes become everybody's business? Yeah I know - it's a publicly funded university, but there was a time in this country where "it's none of your business" was the correct answer to questions like these.