Previous   Next

If you could spend a day with anyone, living or dead, who would it be?

Asked at Dillons, 3000 West Sixth St. on February 26, 2011

Browse the archives

“My dad for sure.”

“Charlie Sheen because he’s hilarious. He’s an infowarrior.”

“Probably Dylan Thomas, he’s one of my favorite poets.”

“Franklin Roosevelt. He did a lot at a really hard time and it’d be interesting to talk to him about it.”

Comments

Boosh 3 years, 10 months ago

Depends on how long they bin ded. Could be smelly and squishy.

Boosh 3 years, 10 months ago

Wait I'm smelly and squishy. Am I ded?

Bill Lee 3 years, 10 months ago

My dad. It's been 48 years since I lost him, but a day rarely goes by when I don't think of him. I'd also like to spend a day with my paternal line ancestor who immigrated to this country so I could ask him why he came.

Chrissy Neibarger 3 years, 10 months ago

My grandfather. I never got a good chance to say goodbye.

“Charlie Sheen because he’s hilarious. He’s an infowarrior.” — Frank Jowett, Sheen aficionado, Lawrence

What a timely quote considering that they just canceled the TV series for the rest of the season because of his "hilarious" interview.

grammaddy 3 years, 10 months ago

..and he got a part in a new HBO series. Poor baby, his life is sooo hard.

monkeyhawk 3 years, 10 months ago

Believing everything you hear (especially from drug addicted alcoholics) is what got our current administration elected.

"An HBO spokesperson confirmed to EW that the cable network has no deal in place to do a new show with Charlie Sheen."

grammaddy 3 years, 10 months ago

Thanks for clearing that up. I'm not a big fan anyway.

RoeDapple 3 years, 10 months ago

http://blogs.abcnews.com/theworldnewser/2009/09/how-many-different-ways-can-you-spell-gaddafi.html There are currently 112 different spellings being used for Col. whatsizname in English speaking countries, mostly due to the difficulty of translating Arabic to English. I'm just glad he isn't my cuzin. Qaddafi, Muammar Al-Gathafi, Muammar al-Qadhafi, Muammar Al Qathafi, Mu'ammar Al Qathafi, Muammar El Gaddafi, Moamar El Kadhafi, Moammar El Kazzafi, Moamer El Qathafi, Mu'Ammar Gadafi, Muammar Gaddafi, Moamar Gadhafi, Mo'ammar Gathafi, Muammar Ghadafi, Muammar Ghaddafi, Muammar Ghaddafy, Muammar Gheddafi, Muammar Gheddafi, Muhammar Kadaffi, Momar Kad'afi, Muamar al- 20 Kaddafi, Muamar Kaddafi, Muammar Kadhafi, Moammar Kadhafi, Mouammar Kazzafi, Moammar Khadafy, Moammar Khaddafi, Muammar Moamar al-Gaddafi Moamar el Gaddafi Moamar El Kadhafi Moamar Gaddafi Moamer El Kazzafi Mo'ammar el-Gadhafi Moammar El Kadhafi Mo'ammar Gadhafi Moammar Kadhafi Moammar Khadafy Moammar Qudhafi Muamar al-Kad'afi Mu'amar al-Kadafi Muamar Al-Kaddafi Muamar Kaddafi Muamer Gadafi Muammar Al-Gathafi Muammar al-Khaddafi Mu'ammar al-Qadafi Mu'ammar al-Qaddafi Muammar al-Qadhafi Mu'ammar al-Qadhdhafi Muammar al-Qadhdhāfī 50 Mu'ammar Al Qathafi Muammar Al Qathafi Muammar Gadafi Muammar Gaddafi Muammar Ghadafi Muammar Ghaddafi Muammar Ghaddafy Muammar Gheddafi Muammar Kaddafi Muammar Khaddafi Mu'ammar Qadafi Muammar Qaddafi Muammar Qadhafi Mu'ammar Qadhdhafi Muammar Quathafi Mulazim Awwal Mu'ammar Muhammad Abu Minyar al-Qadhafi Qadafi, Mu'ammar Qadhafi, Muammar Qadhdhāfī, Muammar Qathafi, Mu'Ammar el 70 Quathafi, Muammar Qudhafi, Moammar Moamar AI Kadafi Maummar Gaddafi Moamar Gadhafi Moamer Gaddafi Moamer Kadhafi Moamma Gaddafi Moammar Gaddafi Moammar Gadhafi Moammar Ghadafi Moammar Khadaffy Moammar Khaddafi Moammar el Gadhafi Moammer Gaddafi Mouammer al Gaddafi Muamar Gaddafi Muammar Al Ghaddafi Muammar Al Qaddafi Muammar Al Qaddafi Muammar El Qaddafi Muammar Gadaffi Muammar Gadafy Muammar Gaddhafi Muammar Gadhafi Muammar Ghadaffi Muammar Qadthafi Muammar al Gaddafi Muammar el Gaddafy Muammar el Gaddafi Muammar el Qaddafi Muammer Gadaffi Muammer Gaddafi Mummar Gaddafi Omar Al Qathafi Omar Mouammer Al Gaddafi Omar Muammar Al Ghaddafi Omar Muammar Al Qaddafi Omar Muammar Al Qathafi Omar Muammar Gaddafi Omar Muammar Ghaddafi Omar al Ghaddafi

riverdrifter 3 years, 10 months ago

Don't know that I'd want to spend the day with them, but I'd buy a beer for whomever puts a bullet through what-his-face's noggin.

grammaddy 3 years, 10 months ago

Miles Davis,cus he was cool like that.

cato_the_elder 3 years, 10 months ago

Jennifer Gregg, you are special. Here's to your father's memory for having you as his child.

mrjcg2 3 years, 10 months ago

Jerry Garcia, but maybe not the whole day....

kernal 3 years, 10 months ago

Will Rogers, the ultimate commentator of his times.

ylime3499 3 years, 10 months ago

My Nana- Great Grandmother. When I was growing up she lived with us, and I would eat every meal with her in her room and she'd tell me stories of traveling in a covered wagon. The most vivid story I remember was when she and her family made it to Omaha, NE the first thing she saw was a black man hanging from a tree. She talked about how that impacted everyone in her family good and bad. I'm glad we've come so far!! Let's go just a little bit further though.

JustNoticed 3 years, 10 months ago

What? No one has mentioned Jesus yet? A day with the rabbi would be interesting.

overthemoon 3 years, 10 months ago

Thinking the same thing. Find out what and who he really was and what he would think of 2000 years of exaggeration and elaboration on what was probably his pretty simple story.

RManFlint 3 years, 9 months ago

Joseph Campbell would probably bore the hell out of you. He has that effect on most people. Now, Joe Campbell and John Steinbeck together might be fun, especially if JS beat the crap out of JC for cuckolding him.

Kelly Johnson 3 years, 10 months ago

Dead people:

1 Male: Elvis

1 Female: Anna Nicole Smith

Living people:

1 Male: Dog the Bounty Hunter

1 Female: Oprah, because I'd be bound to get something free - a car, a sweater, a small nation perhaps?

RoeDapple 3 years, 10 months ago

CWGOKU, I'll see if mom will let us all meet in her basement.

RoeDapple 3 years, 10 months ago

Come to think of it, that would be a great name for an internet cafe, "Mom's Basement". Maybe where the "Underdog" used to be. (Easy access to Free State)

Flap Doodle 3 years, 10 months ago

I'd like to chat with the ghost of Ambrose Bierce so I could ask him where/how he died.

Gene Wallace 3 years, 10 months ago

HEY! I was going to say Ambrose Bierce. I'd like to spend a Saturday with him and his San Francisco friends. And, see what he'd think of my writing style. CCG!

justmytwocents 3 years, 10 months ago

that is a hard question. My grandpa, because I miss him every day. or my grandma to watch KU basketball. My great grandma to ask her questions about her life.
Then - so many interesting people in history....

BigPrune 3 years, 10 months ago

Jesus

Can you pick which two of the four are also Merc customers?

BigPrune 3 years, 10 months ago

One looks like he likes Martin Sheen's son, also known as Emilio Esteffan's or Estevez's brother.

overthemoon 3 years, 10 months ago

Those pictures were taken at Dillons.

And do you have any idea what Merc shoppers look like or do you just assume they are all 'of a type'. Guarantee that on any visit you will find a full spectrum of every age, size, shape, style, culture and anything else you use to categorize and judge people.

schula 3 years, 10 months ago

My grandpa -- it has been a little over two years since he passed and I miss him everyday. He was a a huge baseball fan so this time of year is especially hard for me.

BruceWayne 3 years, 10 months ago

I can't say...no really I CAN"T. JK or WM would delete the comment.

RoeDapple 3 years, 10 months ago

AHA!! We have all missed the obvious here! Sooo . . . Is there going to be a contest/drawing/survey taken for spending the day with a local celebrity? Say . . . Jonathan Kealing or Whitney Mathews? Okay, I'm in! Where do I sign up?

Cait McKnelly 3 years, 10 months ago

Hmmm. I want to know the truth about a number of things; King Arthur, Mary Magdalene and Otzi all come to mind. If there was a "magical" way of doing it as it would have to include a means of overcoming language barriers. I like the idea of T.E. Lawrence, but with me being a woman he would probably get all snippy as he was definitely a "man's man". Would love to talk to Sir Richard Burton (and I'm not referring to Liz's ex).