Previous   Next

If you could spend a day with anyone, living or dead, who would it be?

Asked at Dillons, 3000 West Sixth St. on February 26, 2011

Browse the archives

“My dad for sure.”

“Charlie Sheen because he’s hilarious. He’s an infowarrior.”

“Probably Dylan Thomas, he’s one of my favorite poets.”

“Franklin Roosevelt. He did a lot at a really hard time and it’d be interesting to talk to him about it.”

Comments

Cait McKnelly 3 years, 1 month ago

Hmmm. I want to know the truth about a number of things; King Arthur, Mary Magdalene and Otzi all come to mind. If there was a "magical" way of doing it as it would have to include a means of overcoming language barriers. I like the idea of T.E. Lawrence, but with me being a woman he would probably get all snippy as he was definitely a "man's man". Would love to talk to Sir Richard Burton (and I'm not referring to Liz's ex).

RoeDapple 3 years, 1 month ago

AHA!! We have all missed the obvious here! Sooo . . . Is there going to be a contest/drawing/survey taken for spending the day with a local celebrity? Say . . . Jonathan Kealing or Whitney Mathews? Okay, I'm in! Where do I sign up?

Agnostick 3 years, 1 month ago

Dead? I wouldn't mind spending a weekend at Bernie's.

autie 3 years, 1 month ago

Hollis, I haven't had a ponytail since I knew Rosie...about 1977.

BruceWayne 3 years, 1 month ago

or Petronius...he's just dreamy.

BruceWayne 3 years, 1 month ago

I can't say...no really I CAN"T. JK or WM would delete the comment.

HollisBrown 3 years, 1 month ago

If Mother Jones doesn't tickle your fancy, you might try Mother Earth. You can get them both at the Merc but they're a ripoff, like everything there, because they're made out of that crappy recycled paper. How the hell can used paper be more expensive than new paper? Autie, I think you got that because you went in there. They must have liked you. Do you have a ponytail?

autie 3 years, 1 month ago

OK..some smart ass saw to it I got one of those Mother Jones magazines in the mail....hmmmm. I friggin wonder. And just fyi, I heard the basement boy cafe was not open today due to moderate flooding. And that weren't snow melt neither.

prospector 3 years, 1 month ago

"Which three candidates will be elected to the Lawrence City Commission?

I asked several Centennial Neighborhood friends & supporters to check how the poll worked. they were all disappointed that you could not simply VOTE for one which will be the case on election day.

this LJW Poll is pretty unscientific as the disclaimer says. it is also biased because in the REAL WORLD people can vote for ONE, TWO, or THREE candidates of their choice.

requiring to vote for all THREE as LJW has done blurs the issue of how each candidate compares one to another. the same poll should simply be done again.

DO IT OVER JONATHAN!

see how the results may differ."

Sven on candidate poll

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Log under candidate issues.

The_Original_Bob 3 years, 1 month ago

"Bob, have you noticed the overall reduction in threaded comments? I told you you're the King!" Hollis

Ronaldo is the brains behind the operation. I'm merely the hype man.

HollisBrown 3 years, 1 month ago

Oh for God's sake. Voltaire? Sooo hip! And don't forget Dostoevsky and Nietzsche. Maybe Aristotle? No wonder Western Civ. was such a drag.....

HollisBrown 3 years, 1 month ago

You all should stop by the Basement Boy Cafe'. The decor is wonderful. http://www.mccullagh.org/db9/1ds-15/kink-com-dungeon-bed.jpg

schula 3 years, 1 month ago

My grandpa -- it has been a little over two years since he passed and I miss him everyday. He was a a huge baseball fan so this time of year is especially hard for me.

BigPrune 3 years, 1 month ago

Jesus

Can you pick which two of the four are also Merc customers?

g_rock 3 years, 1 month ago

OK for real, my answer is...

Jim Beam.

justmytwocents 3 years, 1 month ago

that is a hard question. My grandpa, because I miss him every day. or my grandma to watch KU basketball. My great grandma to ask her questions about her life.
Then - so many interesting people in history....

Flap Doodle 3 years, 1 month ago

I'd like to chat with the ghost of Ambrose Bierce so I could ask him where/how he died.

smitty 3 years, 1 month ago

Grandma Layton. Here is a link to my favorite poster. It hangs in my room, now. I love her with all the buttons. Her story of depression along with the void sketch is phenomenal.

RoeDapple 3 years, 1 month ago

Come to think of it, that would be a great name for an internet cafe, "Mom's Basement". Maybe where the "Underdog" used to be. (Easy access to Free State)

RoeDapple 3 years, 1 month ago

CWGOKU, I'll see if mom will let us all meet in her basement.

HollisBrown 3 years, 1 month ago

The_Original_Bob 3 years, 1 month ago

"T_O_B, if he brought biscuits and gravy,"

Right on. The wife made B&G this morning. Life is good. I bet if they ate biscuits in Libya, they wouldn't be having these issues.

Kelly Johnson 3 years, 1 month ago

Dead people:

1 Male: Elvis

1 Female: Anna Nicole Smith

Living people:

1 Male: Dog the Bounty Hunter

1 Female: Oprah, because I'd be bound to get something free - a car, a sweater, a small nation perhaps?

CWGOKU 3 years, 1 month ago

The dogs I've had over the years. I miss them. Runners up, T_O_B, if he brought biscuits and gravy, HollisBrown, Autie, Roe, Andini, Charlemaign,Patton, my parents...

g_rock 3 years, 1 month ago

I wish I had a profound answer. Just not into it today.

Due to the ex-love-of-my-life being kind of a douche today, I'd prefer to hang out with the dog that we had when I was a kid. He was an overly round beagle.

Dogs are good.
//bellyscratch //earscratch //chasebunnies //tailwag

Life should be this good.

ophiuchus 3 years, 1 month ago

Ok, I'll say it... Jesus...

/ maybe we could go bowling.

MacHeath 3 years, 1 month ago

Most of the famous dead folks I can think of, and living ones too...probably would not be that good of company for a day. Like Kurt Vonnegut for instance. I would probably bore the heck out of him. Or say, Larry David... We would end up arguing about something, and both of us would get pissed. I would like to see Marshall McLuhan alive for a day, so I could see what he thinks about email, blogs, and cell phones. If I could understand him... who the heck could anyway? ok, I pick Joesph Campbell. I would probably bore the heck out of thim too, but he would probably be nice about it.

JustNoticed 3 years, 1 month ago

What? No one has mentioned Jesus yet? A day with the rabbi would be interesting.

ylime3499 3 years, 1 month ago

My Nana- Great Grandmother. When I was growing up she lived with us, and I would eat every meal with her in her room and she'd tell me stories of traveling in a covered wagon. The most vivid story I remember was when she and her family made it to Omaha, NE the first thing she saw was a black man hanging from a tree. She talked about how that impacted everyone in her family good and bad. I'm glad we've come so far!! Let's go just a little bit further though.

kernal 3 years, 1 month ago

Will Rogers, the ultimate commentator of his times.

HollisBrown 3 years, 1 month ago

Warner Lewis. Have you seen him lately, misterlee?

The_Original_Bob 3 years, 1 month ago

"There are currently 112 different spellings being used for Col. whatsizname in English speaking countries, mostly due to the difficulty of translating Arabic to English. I'm just glad he isn't my cuzin."

Thanks, Roe. I have been wondering about this as well.

I'd like to be with Sean Penn for a day.

mrjcg2 3 years, 1 month ago

Jerry Garcia, but maybe not the whole day....

northtown 3 years, 1 month ago

FRANK ZAPPA-a old buddy of mine Also Captain Beefheart-we all went to school together and played a few songs!!!

cheeseburger 3 years, 1 month ago

Ronald Reagan. No one ever questioned his love for God and the United States of America.

prospector 3 years, 1 month ago

Buster

I want the chili recipe.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 3 years, 1 month ago

Falafels and goat kabobs with wild rice.

HollisBrown 3 years, 1 month ago

I'll answer for TOB. Sean Penn and Harrison Ford. A better OTS question: Who's head will explode first, Charlie Sheen or Mummar Kqgaddafee?

HollisBrown 3 years, 1 month ago

I'd better not leave the ladies out. My wife, always. Gwen Stefani, Ooooh yeah! Michelle Obama, Uh-huh! And Madonna, only because I want to know more about the Pyramids from someone who was actually there.

autie 3 years, 1 month ago

I find dead people to be extemely boring and rather poor at converstation. You should try being lost on the road to Sun City in the dark...Someplace in the wilds of Comanche County. That conversation was entertaining. I'd tell you who was there but then I would have to kill you.

cato_the_elder 3 years, 1 month ago

Jennifer Gregg, you are special. Here's to your father's memory for having you as his child.

HollisBrown 3 years, 1 month ago

Miles would be another one. I lucked out and saw him at the Waikiki Shell in '88. Still have the ticket stub in my wallet.

Tom Shewmon 3 years, 1 month ago

I would rather spend a day with someone who's alive vs. someone who's dead.

grammaddy 3 years, 1 month ago

Miles Davis,cus he was cool like that.

HollisBrown 3 years, 1 month ago

Autie, I'm pretty sure FDR did a 5-7 year stretch in Attica. That explains a lot. I wouldn't know it was time to leave the Office, either. Kim Jong Elvis is still shakin' it.

HollisBrown 3 years, 1 month ago

Definitely my father. He is my paternal line ancestor who immigrated to this country. He decided to leave the UK in the '50's to come here and help start what would become Maupintour. He is the greatest man I've ever known, and the best birthday present I could receive is having him here today. What a blessing. After that, of course it would be Bob Dylan, then probably Muhammad Ali.

HollisBrown 3 years, 1 month ago

Thank you, Roe. I was wondering when someone was going to address that issue. At least pastor Terry Jones only spells his name one way.

RoeDapple 3 years, 1 month ago

http://blogs.abcnews.com/theworldnewser/2009/09/how-many-different-ways-can-you-spell-gaddafi.html There are currently 112 different spellings being used for Col. whatsizname in English speaking countries, mostly due to the difficulty of translating Arabic to English. I'm just glad he isn't my cuzin. Qaddafi, Muammar Al-Gathafi, Muammar al-Qadhafi, Muammar Al Qathafi, Mu'ammar Al Qathafi, Muammar El Gaddafi, Moamar El Kadhafi, Moammar El Kazzafi, Moamer El Qathafi, Mu'Ammar Gadafi, Muammar Gaddafi, Moamar Gadhafi, Mo'ammar Gathafi, Muammar Ghadafi, Muammar Ghaddafi, Muammar Ghaddafy, Muammar Gheddafi, Muammar Gheddafi, Muhammar Kadaffi, Momar Kad'afi, Muamar al- 20 Kaddafi, Muamar Kaddafi, Muammar Kadhafi, Moammar Kadhafi, Mouammar Kazzafi, Moammar Khadafy, Moammar Khaddafi, Muammar Moamar al-Gaddafi Moamar el Gaddafi Moamar El Kadhafi Moamar Gaddafi Moamer El Kazzafi Mo'ammar el-Gadhafi Moammar El Kadhafi Mo'ammar Gadhafi Moammar Kadhafi Moammar Khadafy Moammar Qudhafi Muamar al-Kad'afi Mu'amar al-Kadafi Muamar Al-Kaddafi Muamar Kaddafi Muamer Gadafi Muammar Al-Gathafi Muammar al-Khaddafi Mu'ammar al-Qadafi Mu'ammar al-Qaddafi Muammar al-Qadhafi Mu'ammar al-Qadhdhafi Muammar al-Qadhdhāfī 50 Mu'ammar Al Qathafi Muammar Al Qathafi Muammar Gadafi Muammar Gaddafi Muammar Ghadafi Muammar Ghaddafi Muammar Ghaddafy Muammar Gheddafi Muammar Kaddafi Muammar Khaddafi Mu'ammar Qadafi Muammar Qaddafi Muammar Qadhafi Mu'ammar Qadhdhafi Muammar Quathafi Mulazim Awwal Mu'ammar Muhammad Abu Minyar al-Qadhafi Qadafi, Mu'ammar Qadhafi, Muammar Qadhdhāfī, Muammar Qathafi, Mu'Ammar el 70 Quathafi, Muammar Qudhafi, Moammar Moamar AI Kadafi Maummar Gaddafi Moamar Gadhafi Moamer Gaddafi Moamer Kadhafi Moamma Gaddafi Moammar Gaddafi Moammar Gadhafi Moammar Ghadafi Moammar Khadaffy Moammar Khaddafi Moammar el Gadhafi Moammer Gaddafi Mouammer al Gaddafi Muamar Gaddafi Muammar Al Ghaddafi Muammar Al Qaddafi Muammar Al Qaddafi Muammar El Qaddafi Muammar Gadaffi Muammar Gadafy Muammar Gaddhafi Muammar Gadhafi Muammar Ghadaffi Muammar Qadthafi Muammar al Gaddafi Muammar el Gaddafy Muammar el Gaddafi Muammar el Qaddafi Muammer Gadaffi Muammer Gaddafi Mummar Gaddafi Omar Al Qathafi Omar Mouammer Al Gaddafi Omar Muammar Al Ghaddafi Omar Muammar Al Qaddafi Omar Muammar Al Qathafi Omar Muammar Gaddafi Omar Muammar Ghaddafi Omar al Ghaddafi

fleeba 3 years, 1 month ago

My grandfather. I never got a good chance to say goodbye.

“Charlie Sheen because he’s hilarious. He’s an infowarrior.” — Frank Jowett, Sheen aficionado, Lawrence

What a timely quote considering that they just canceled the TV series for the rest of the season because of his "hilarious" interview.

ophiuchus 3 years, 1 month ago

A day is not enough. I'll settle for my memories, rather than be torn again like that.

Bill Lee 3 years, 1 month ago

My dad. It's been 48 years since I lost him, but a day rarely goes by when I don't think of him. I'd also like to spend a day with my paternal line ancestor who immigrated to this country so I could ask him why he came.

autie 3 years, 1 month ago

FDR did hard time? Huh. I don't think I would want to spend the day with any dead people. They would only prove to so musty and dry. Give me a live body everytime. Kim Jong Ill. Wait, he is alive, right?

Pitt_Mackeson 3 years, 1 month ago

John Candy. I'd give him a hug.