Previous   Next

Do you use public transportation?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on February 18, 2011

Browse the archives

“Yes, I take the KU bus to school.”

“Occasionally, but less lately. I’ve been biking a lot.”

“Yes, I do use it.”

“The buses, just the normal KU buses.”

Comments

RoeDapple 4 years, 4 months ago

Nah. And until the buses, cabs and trains start running through the rural areas I will continue driving my 9mpg, seven door, big as a school bus SUV into town every time I need a pack of gum or a Bud Light. I tell you, there ain't nothin' like the smell of diesel fumes rolling out from under the cab when I'm throwing gravel on the curves. Sure does make them namby-pambies in their Corollas get all big eyed when I crest the hill at 75 in the center of the road.

madameX 4 years, 4 months ago

9mpg, eh? You must enjoy spending money on fuel. I'll keep my namby-pamby Mazda and save my money for something more fun, thanks.

orbiter 4 years, 4 months ago

are you, by chance, unhappy with your manly endowment? or just an spewing cliche?

RoeDapple 4 years, 4 months ago

He casts . . sets hook . . and reels in two with this one!

Richard Heckler 4 years, 4 months ago

A while back it was discovered that we car owners pay to own. Yes all of us.

bolshavik_vw 4 years, 4 months ago

No they will pick you up. I am not a student and I have ridden them a time or two.

MyName 4 years, 4 months ago

They would always pick up non-students, IIRC, though they merged with Lawrence Transit last year to coordinate schedules. Of course, all of the buses go onto campus, so their routes aren't always the most convenient for non-KU people.

RoeDapple 4 years, 4 months ago

"merrill (anonymous) says… A while back it was discovered that we car owners pay to own. Yes all of us. The reading estimated it cost $12,000 - $15,000 a year to own a vehicle. (Taxes,insurance,gasoline,tune up's, tires,depreciation etc etc etc)"

You believe everything you read? We own three vehicles, at a minimum of $36,000, (your figures), we would be spending upwards of half our after tax income on transportation. No. Way. All our vehicles are paid for, 8 to 10 years old and kept in top mechanical condition. You enjoy your stinking pubic transportation arriving at their schedule. I'll drive myself, getting there by my schedule.

RoeDapple 4 years, 4 months ago

Make that public transportation. Although thinking boutit does get me crabby

;-)

JayCat_67 4 years, 4 months ago

I use pubic transportation daily. Kind of hard not to without getting out of bed, really.

gl0ck0wn3r 4 years, 4 months ago

Funny thing is, yes, he does believe everything he wants to believe when it reinforces his Luddite world view. It is also amusing to note that he does not regularly use the T and works in an "industry" that pollutes more than personal cars. He is a "do as I say, not as I do" elitist.

coderob 4 years, 4 months ago

Not quite. 50 percent of the T's operating funds come from federal money. But there's nothing to stop you from hopping on the bus and getting your federal tax money's worth.

Bill Lee 4 years, 4 months ago

I have used the buses in the past, but don't currently. Other members of my family do, however. BTW, one does not have to be a student to ride KU buses. They'll take anyone's money.

notanota 4 years, 4 months ago

Yes, I do. You can thank me for leaving you a parking spot.

purplesage 4 years, 4 months ago

I have only seen about 4 people on the mT buses in the last year. Must of been those guys who got asked this question.

KU_Dude 4 years, 4 months ago

I only use public transportation when I need to text someone.

dogsandcats 4 years, 4 months ago

Wish I could but it's so inconvenient in this town. I used to take public transportation in the bigger city I lived in before I came here, because of the convenience, traffic, and parking shortages. In Lawrence, there is plenty of parking and I can get wherever I'm going in about 1/3 the time, at least, than it would take on the bus.

BigPrune 4 years, 4 months ago

I've never used it, ever. I wonder when the bicycle rack will be retrofitted to haul lawnmowers?

beatrice 4 years, 4 months ago

Since roads are built with public funds, in an abstract way don't we all use public transportation?

coderob 4 years, 4 months ago

I don't think it's abstract at all. Public roads run off pure government subsidy. Add to that the regulations requiring businesses to include a certain number of parking spots in their developments and you can start to see why personal auto transportation has a very large upper hand on public transportation.