Previous   Next

What should the penalty be for people who text while driving?

Asked at Target, 3201 Iowa St. on February 17, 2011

Browse the archives

“$100 for a first offense. Maybe they should also post signs saying it’s illegal.”

“Lose their licenses. I have two teens and I’ve told them it’s just not going to work.”

“I think it should just be a ticket.”

“Ideally they would have their license revoked. In the real world, probably the equivalent of a $15 speeding ticket.”

Comments

nobody1793 3 years, 10 months ago

A sledgehammer to the thumbs ought to do the trick.

SinoHawk 3 years, 10 months ago

Drawn and quartered. /sarcasm

They should pay a $100 or so ticket. Texting is more dangerous than driving while over the legal limit and FAR more people "text and drive" than "drink and drive", in my experience.

RoeDapple 3 years, 10 months ago

Just a second while I pull over. . . Damn! Now that I'm stopped I'm at a loss for words!

boxers_or_briefs 3 years, 10 months ago

I never see you at a loss for words RoeDapple er "cuzin" (rolls eyes).

JayCat_67 3 years, 10 months ago

Also known as instant qualification for a Darwin Award.

baby_girl31 3 years, 10 months ago

considering it's worse than driving drunk, give them the equivalent of DUI. :)

baby_girl31 3 years, 10 months ago

mmmm...no drunken behavior here. Thanks. Please think before you speak. How can you judge a person you have no clue whom they are. Ignorance. Sad.

Dixie Jones 3 years, 10 months ago

would that then be considered a TWD, DWT?

RoeDapple 3 years, 10 months ago

Hey, we've all seen on "Cops" where the officer pours liquor out at the curb! First offense, officer grinds heel into texting device and $50 fine. Second offense, officer grinds heel into texting device, $100 fine, 30 days suspended license. Third offense . . . .

Chelsea Kapfer 3 years, 10 months ago

I know this isn't really reasonable due to cost and people's "right's", but i think a device or an app that disables texting ability while the car is in motion may just be the wave of the future.

Adrienne Sanders 3 years, 10 months ago

It's not possible to do that w/o also disabling the devices of everyone else in the car, which is completely unreasonable.

Ken Harris 3 years, 10 months ago

T-Mobile has an Android App that will disable text-mesaging and incoming calls (which are sent to voicemail.) The upgraded app and service automatically detect when the car is in motion; the basic app is a manual selection.

Bill Lee 3 years, 10 months ago

Break their thumbs. Simple, yet appropriate.

JayCat_67 3 years, 10 months ago

Ahh, kinda the "Clockwork Orange" treatment, eh?

baby_girl31 3 years, 10 months ago

perhaps you are one who was texting while driving and dealing with the consequences. hmm..or perhaps you have the DUI/OUI and are the avid defender due to the consequences you have had to face.

Don't just be spiteful to be spiteful. It makes you look ignorant. Did you ever stop to consider the people/children that get hurt? I actually know someone that was texting and driving and hit a bicyclist. They should be ashamed of themselves.

It's about responsibility.

Joe Blackford II 3 years, 10 months ago

With a smile, St. Peter removes appropriate hand before opening the Pearly Gates.

Stuart Evans 3 years, 10 months ago

why are we all so damned hungry for more hand holding by the government? freaking sadists..

friendlyjhawk 3 years, 10 months ago

They should have to shovel sidewalks for the elderly for a 2 year period.

conservative 3 years, 10 months ago

The penalty should be the same as it is for eating, changing the radio, applying makeup, or rummaging through the backseat with 1 hand. There is already a law on the books for inattentive driving, there was never a need to create a new law to cover 1 behavior. The law is also ridiculous because while texting is now illegal you can use your phone to look up gps directions, browse websites, etc with no consequences under this law.

FlintlockRifle 3 years, 10 months ago

Yep, same as DUI, how about the C/FONE in your ear??

labmonkey 3 years, 10 months ago

Same as DUI. I have seen too many people swerving all over the road only to look over and see them texting.

FlintlockRifle 3 years, 10 months ago

Yep, same as DUI, how about the C/FONE in your ear??

irvan moore 3 years, 10 months ago

make them registered cell phone offenders, put them in a data base and their photos on the internet and not let them ever have a cell phone again and not let them reside within 200 feet of a cell phone tower. harsh but needs to be done.

labmonkey 3 years, 10 months ago

R_I...

One of the biggest tragedies of the Bernie Madoff ponzi scheme....it led to Creed reuniting.

clovis_sangrail 3 years, 10 months ago

I was going to suggest they be pilloried on the courthouse lawn, but this is nice, too.

RoeDapple 3 years, 10 months ago

A well executed PIT maneuver would be an excellent counter to your junior high antics. . . Oh. . . LOL

Chelsea Kapfer 3 years, 10 months ago

Throwing things at cars? that sounds a lot like assault. Doing something like that could cause a serious accident. I really wish you wouldn't do that....someone could really get hurt.

superduper 3 years, 10 months ago

I think the penalty should be their phone!

looza 3 years, 10 months ago

They should be made to wear a K-State shirt and nothing else then clean up the mediun on the turnpike.

Andrea Hoag 3 years, 10 months ago

Ok all jokes aside, seeing this short doc will help convince people re: texting while driving. Warning: it's not uplifting. Especially important for teens to see it, so feel free to share, or you can easily find it on Youtube by searching for "The Last Text." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DebhWD6ljZs

redmoonrising 3 years, 10 months ago

Andrea, I was going to post the same link. I wonder if those who watch it will really be affected by it. I hope so. It scares me to think that I share the road daily with people texting and endangering my life by their actions.

K_Verses_The_World 3 years, 10 months ago

When questioned who had sent for him He answered with his thumb(s)

Gene Wallace 3 years, 10 months ago

Have you ever seen a full grown Maine Coon housecat? They make Bobcats look puny.

RoeDapple 3 years, 10 months ago

Yer right Hollis. My Yeti confirmed it.

ralphralph 3 years, 10 months ago

Two words ---- Signal Jammer

Like an "ignition interlock" for text-a-holics. Get caught TWI, you have your license restricted to only operating a vehicle with a cell phone signal jammer that comes on when the engine is started.

You're welcome.

Stuart Evans 3 years, 10 months ago

while I agree that TWI (Texting While Intoxicated) is a terrible idea, I don't think they can legislate that. The issue here today is DWT (Driving While Texting).

camper 3 years, 10 months ago

I'll bet most everyone who has spoken for harsh fines has at some point in their life driven wile drunk or talked on a cell phone while driving. 3 drinks will do it. I say this because I live with the fact that I have had 2 DUI's. The penalties I recieved were life changing, and in the end well worth it.....I will never go near a car or put myself in the driver seat after doing so. At worst, I call a cab or just stay home and order a pizza.

My history leaves me little room to criticize, but all I can say is don't drink and drive, and don't text or talk on the phone while driving. Furthermore, buy a radio and cd player that has limited gadgets.

camper 3 years, 10 months ago

"and if u kill someone?"

I am in no position to say. All I can do is take actions that would ever prevent me from driving while drunk. I can also be valuable as a designated driver when friends or family have drank too much. Furthermore drugs and alcohol are bullcrap that can sell yourself short and limit your potential. Cell phones and texting are good things, but should never be done while driving.

Aiko 3 years, 10 months ago

Make them go to the Sandbar everyday for 3 months...

Christine Anderson 3 years, 10 months ago

I think it's pitiful there needs to be a law for this. I mean, everyone should be able to use common sense. But since too many won't, let's go back to rotary dial phones, and watch the younger texters try and survive! LOL

tomatogrower 3 years, 10 months ago

“Ideally they would have their license revoked. In the real world, probably the equivalent of a $15 speeding ticket.”

$15 speeding ticket? Are there any that cheap anymore?

Stuart Evans 3 years, 10 months ago

texting while stopped at a stop light doesn't put anyone in harms way and is done successfully hundreds of times a day in this city alone. However, the way the law is written, they can see you completely stopped at a red light and give you a ticket. We have enough laws, lets use what we've got. You can't legislate away every bad behavior or dangerous items.

Richard Heckler 3 years, 10 months ago

People text or talk then run into the back of people and the LPD apparently does not think to check cell phones for activity?

Why is that?

Stuart Evans 3 years, 10 months ago

because the police have no business browsing through your phone; and subpoenaing the phone records for a fender bender is not a viable option.

Peacemaker452 3 years, 10 months ago

Can anyone say “victimless crime”? Why do you want to punish people who have done nothing to harm you? If the person does cause some harm then they can be harshly punished with existing laws that cover reckless endangerment, careless driving…

Maybe there should be mandatory video and sound recorders in every vehicle so the police can check your activity any time you are stopped; if you don’t have anything to hide it should not bother you at all. We should probably extend that to your home also, then the social worker can review the recordings if there is ever any doubt about how you treat your kids. Might as well implant the GPS chip at birth, just think of the time it would save the police when investigating crimes.

You all sound like you are stuck in that stupid Tom Cruise future crime movie; we must punish people for what they might do.

gl0ckUser 3 years, 10 months ago

they should be charged with federally charged with "Willfully Unknowingly Receiving a Text message"

Then the police should attempt to Seize the offenders cars (because the text was received while the offender was driving. ) and house( because someon from the house could have sent the Text message ).

similar to what was done to the YH owners.

slvrntrt 3 years, 10 months ago

They should have to eat their phone. Battery and all.

Flap Doodle 3 years, 10 months ago

"i have decided to leave the forum. goodbye. i am signing out. SVEN January 29, 2011"