Previous   Next

Did you get to take a snow day during the recent winter storm?

Asked at Dillons, 3000 West Sixth St. on February 3, 2011

Browse the archives

“Kind of. I’m not in school, so we got released early from work yesterday and got to come in late today. ”

“I took one but I didn’t get to take one.”

“Yes. They called off today.”

“No, I did not. I worked from home actually.”

Comments

Bill Lee 4 years, 5 months ago

At my age, every day is a snow day. Some are warmer, though.

SeaFox 4 years, 5 months ago

What's this "get to" crap? If I can't get to work because I can't get out out of my neighborhood without shoveling the entire road for a couple blocks I'm not going to be coming to work, unless my employer wants to come down the street in a horse-drawn sleigh and pick me up -- AND take me home at the end of my shift.

If they don't like it they can call the city and ask they get more snow plows working streets that aren't just major commercial avenues.

I called in Tuesday, and Wednesday, too. And an hour after I called in Wednesday the city showed up. I could have stayed home the day again if I'd wanted to at that point since I'd already called in, but I went to work since I was able to.

somedude20 4 years, 5 months ago

Must of been hard to find 4 working people in Lawrence. Good thing that did not ask this question at the Merc or at the drop-in center. "Yeah, well, you know man, I was going to go down to Dillons and cash my check (social welfare) man, but its just too snowy man and I have all the grass and King Cobra that I need for today man. Hey, you know the Goverment made this snow storm to keep people like me from cashing our checks man at Dillons. George Bush hates black people man and even know I am white, he hates whites too man cause Bush is a Natzi man....I don;t feel good, man."

1029 4 years, 5 months ago

Everyday is a snow day when you don't have a job. I don't know why anyone decides to waste their days working. It's not like the government is going to let you die--you'll be able to get food, a place to live, and all kinds of other free or discounted stuff. You just need to know how to work the system.

kernal 4 years, 5 months ago

You hope. People are getting tired of able bodied free loaders, especially those who are the working poor and actively trying to find a job they can do.

wmathews 4 years, 5 months ago

My dad used to live in northern Minnesota, and we'd do that same thing in the winter when it got painfully cold. Also did fun stuff like dog sledding and jumping off the porch into snow drifts after 30 minutes in the sauna.

Mike Hatch 4 years, 5 months ago

Heck no. About ten of us stayed all day Tuesday and Wednesday at work. Slept on the floor.
Big fun.

Mike Hatch 4 years, 5 months ago

LOL, no. We tried to make the best of it and walked to a bar & grill that's nearby and watched the game and had some beers, though.

When your business is service and you can't let them down, have to do something to make sure things keep going. About noon on Tuesday a few of us were able to get out and get some supplies for the night so it could have been worse.

ivalueamerica 4 years, 5 months ago

It is the middle of summer, I have been at the beach most of the last couple of weeks.

Moving to Peru was a great thing to do.