Previous   Next

How do you feel about the Lawrence crime rate?

Asked at Dillons, 1015 W. 23rd St. on December 27, 2011

Browse the archives

“I see no problem — I feel safe.”

“I’m not sure of the rates, but I feel confident in law enforcement, and that gives me a feeling of safety. I grew up in a family of law enforcement officers and feel that the sheriff can govern and I appreciate what they do.”

“I feel it has gotten more violent and would like to see it go down. I feel I’ve seen (the rate of crime) go up with the economy going down.”

“Overall, it’s a safe community. People need to be more responsible in the university community. It’s a vulnerable population — people get taken advantage of — but I feel Lawrence police does a pretty good job working in a college town.”

Comments

Benjamin Roberts 2 years, 12 months ago

Crime doesn't pay ... regardless of the rate.

Loki 2 years, 12 months ago

I don't know.. see Antonym's comment below. Seems to be paying well!

Loki 2 years, 12 months ago

Chasing criminals on his hovaround!!! Vroom!!!

Loki 2 years, 12 months ago

At first it seemed like a true match, but it didn't take long before I realized that was new relationship giddyness and that things weren't looking good for the long term. By that time though, crime seemed to have true feelings for me so I felt a little stuck. Now things are starting to get crazy! Where are you going? Who will be there? When will you be home? Constant texts. If I don't quickly respond, accusations. I know I should have broke it off sooner, but the sex is pretty good and there haven't been many other options. I think I will end it this weekend after I take Bugs, my beloved pet rabbit, over to my parents to stay for a bit....

RoeDapple 2 years, 12 months ago

Last Tuesday afternoon, I had the misfortune for my automobile to spin out of control on Clinton Parkway. Two women in separate cars stopped and made sure I was all right. They had their cell phones and made the necessary calls. I wanted to let them know how much I appreciated their assistance on a cold, windy day.

RoeDapple 2 years, 12 months ago

Yeah, I think I already have your number . . .

grammaddy 2 years, 12 months ago

Feels a LOT like Topeka did when I moved here 25 years ago. Hope that's not the direction we're headed in 25 more.

50YearResident 2 years, 12 months ago

Crime is not a problem for me because I'm not out on the streets between midnight and 4:00 AM. For those of you that are roaming during those hours it's a different story. Overall, Lawrence is a very safe place to live.

rockchalker52 2 years, 12 months ago

Haven't suffered much impact from crime in Lawrence over the years. Am somewhat concerned about the law of averages. I s'pose it's all relative to your situation, but, as far as I know, none of my relatives are criminals. Gotta keep a close eye on the cuzins, though.

Bill Lee 2 years, 12 months ago

I have always felt safe in Lawrence. I don't lock my car, and in good weather I leave it parked with the top down. My front door is seldom locked. The security I feel here is why I choose to live here and not in KC or Topeka.

50YearResident 2 years, 12 months ago

^^^ Stuff you should not advertise if you don't want to be targeted!

rockchalker52 2 years, 12 months ago

autie, if we were in North Korea right now, we could go on a helluva burglary spree. Everybody's out lining the streets, wailing about the loss of Dear Leader. Would prolly be an exercise in futility as I do not know if the poor schmoes have anything worth stealing.

asixbury 2 years, 12 months ago

0 murders in Lawrence this year according to the LJ article I just read. For a town the size of Lawrence, the crime rate is pretty low. Especially compared to Salina. It is about half the size of Lawrence and definitely has WAY more crime. Murders, too, that never get solved. I haven't read about a Lawrence man screwing his neighbor's dog, but I have read about that happening in Salina. Salina is a sh*t hole, and anyone that lives there (I used to) would say the same thing! While living on "the good side" of Salina, I had my lawn mower stolen while going inside for a drink, my iron patio table and chairs that are too heavy for just one person to move stolen, my car stereo stolen the same day I brought the car home (joke's on the thief, it didn't work), and my duplex neighbor's home was burglarized. This all happened in a 2-year period. And is the main reason I moved away. That and the lack of job opportunities. Lawrence is nice compared to every other town in Kansas I have lived in...and that is saying a lot.

JackMcKee 2 years, 12 months ago

there seems to be a lot of armed robberies of apartment dwellers that have lots of cash.

rockchalker52 2 years, 12 months ago

I got into a fight one time. A really big guy said, “I’m going to mop the floor with your face.” I said, “Well, you won’t be able to get into the corners very well.” -Emo Phillips

RoeDapple 2 years, 12 months ago

Cheetah the chimp has died at 80 years old. He outlived Tarzan, Jane and Boy.

Bill Lee 2 years, 12 months ago

I was robbed at gunpoint about five years ago, but I don't think he was a local. No one was hurt, and he got only $98. He dropped a roll of nickels on his way out. I dialed 911 as he was walking away. Cops arrived within five minutes, but too late to catch the guy. Even after that exprience, I refuse to live in fear.

equalaccessprivacy 2 years, 12 months ago

I have never lived in such an unsafe place. It's not safe to walk alone even in broad daylight because of of all the predatory, unaware a-hats who approach and molest strangers. Hands off, uglies! Get a clue. People need their exercise and deserve freedom of movement. Only revolting hicks approach strangers with that most offensive come-on in the book, "Need help?" Those losers who use it belong in a mental ward. Kansas is full of wackos. I just read on an NPR story blog that desperate, jobless people will not move here to take open jobs because "Kansas has some of the most backward people you never want to meet."

asixbury 2 years, 12 months ago

You haven't lived in many places then if you think Lawrence is that unsafe. Just look to our neighbors on either side and you will know what I mean. I've walked all over town in the broad daylight and have never been assaulted by anyone. I've been approached by panhandlers, but once you say you have nothing for them, they leave. When people ask if you need help, most of the time, they are truly wondering if you need help. I would say that was a good thing about Kansas. I have needed someone's help before, while stranded on the side of the road before cell phones. I welcomed the hospitality. If they ask you, just say no or ignore them. If you're a woman, you probably shouldn't be in desolated places by yourself anyway. You have to watch out for yourself and have a little common sense.

Richard Heckler 2 years, 12 months ago

With more growth comes more crime... that is real. Which brings tax increases aka LPD budget.

Remember the days when one could leave the windows down no matter where your vehicle was parked.....

And walk away leaving your house unlocked

Not anymore = the hidden cost of growth

pace 2 years, 12 months ago

I think we need to do more about theft and burglary. I believe one reason our stats are down is because the police post or encourage reports. Many events are not counted. No official report. Another is the dampening response by officers when one attempts to report theft and burglary. I would like to see maps that are reflective of current reported events. Clear, click on the map and see how many home thefts or car theft in an area in the last month.

pace 2 years, 12 months ago

What a goofy comment. But in such nonsense is some germ of truth. It should be a partnership of community and the police. A citizens review board would strengthen and encourage a partnership.

pace 2 years, 12 months ago

I have seen a steady decline for support personnel and funding for community service and it is so much more value than just probation. Community service is especially good for those first offenders. As a volunteer I once worked with a college student who was caught "borrowing" a handicapped placard to get on campus. I used him to help the very elderly and handicapped who were part of our organization. He got to know them and appreciate why some people need the placards and why the placards and parking places exist. One lovely little lady, who did not know what he had done, explained the hell she went through to get her placard back. It was a hard time for her, coming when she was busy trying to save her own life. She was a great woman. He listened and learned.