Previous   Next

Could you go a whole year without buying clothes?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on December 26, 2011

Browse the archives

“When I was unemployed for a year, I just made alterations to the clothes I had to make them look fresh. So I could probably go a year.”

“It would probably be a big deal not to.”

“Definitely not.”

Comments

Lana Christie-Hayes 2 years, 3 months ago

Without a doubt! ... been there done that many times... you can even get free clothes at Penn House and other places if you really need to!

Blessed4x 2 years, 3 months ago

I've got 4 kids. They come first. I still wear some clothes I wore in high school 20 years ago, one t-shirt I will be buried in. Could I go a year without buying clothes? Do it all the time. Come up with something harder.

Robert Rauktis 2 years, 3 months ago

I have clothes i wear returning to fashion thirty years on. Problem being, I wear them in the unfashionable down periods. But that is the definition of "style", being recognizable as YOU.

Fashion is for the insecure. Patagonia is for the rest.

George_Braziller 2 years, 3 months ago

Does buying a new shirt count as "shopping for clothes"? If so I think that was about five years ago.

anticommunist 2 years, 3 months ago

Why not, if one has a needle and thread? Socks and undergarments seem a worthwhile perennial purchase, though.

pace 2 years, 3 months ago

No problem going a year without buying clothes. Have done that several times. I hate to shop. I was challenged when I successfully dieted and changed four sizes but only had to buy about a hundred dollars worth. People buy a lot stuff.

Pywacket 2 years, 3 months ago

Sure. Like Cate48, I keep the classics until they're vintage and don't spend a lot on clothes, anyway. Read the related story and thought the whole thing was rather silly. The woman was inspired to do this because she couldn't fit another item in her posh closets? Puh-leeze.....

Just a silly gimmick, which is what NY resolutions often are. Now, if she'd have calculated how much she saved on clothing and had done something meaningful with it, I'd have been more impressed.

Rara_Avis 2 years, 4 months ago

Easily. I only have one wifebeater shirt, and I never wear it. I also don't wear underwear. Ever.

beatrice 2 years, 4 months ago

Of course, anyone could. The question is, would you choose to?

rockchalker52 2 years, 4 months ago

Fashion police didn't like that last one, I guess. How 'bout this?:

I'm looking for it in Crimson & Blue. This guy looks like Pinkel, don't you think?

rockchalker52 2 years, 4 months ago

Got this little number for New Year's Eve:

Can probably make through the next year with the clothes in the closet if I put down the fork & push away from the table.

Liberty_One 2 years, 4 months ago

No, I have to buy new underwear and socks every year. Other than that, I suppose so.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 2 years, 4 months ago

George Foreman pimps socks and not just grills?

RoeDapple 2 years, 4 months ago

George Foreman socks. I wear out 10 pair/year. Gray only, if you don't mind.

tange 2 years, 4 months ago

If the Gpvernpr can, then I can.

/ granted, his wardrobe is new

RoeDapple 2 years, 4 months ago

The SIL smoked about 10 lbs of salmon and 10 lbs of trout for Christmas dinner. They forgot to take home the leftovers. Not a problem.

autie 2 years, 4 months ago

The smoked white cheddar we had Christmas Eve was wonderful. I don't know what brand it was or where Pop got it. The pork roast was good also. So many culinary delights. I did think the home made chutney a bit bland.

I really have to buy socks. I wear them out quickly. I like soft.

Benjamin Roberts 2 years, 4 months ago

The story that inspired this poll (which for some reason only known to LJW is never associated with a poll or OTS question) is about a lady that went all of 2011 without purchasing clothes. The story includes a picture of her closet. It has three to four times the clothes in it than any of the four people living in my home have in their closets. A year, or two, or three would be possible with that inventory. http://www.lawrence.com/news/2011/dec...

Cait McKnelly 2 years, 4 months ago

Yes. I have a skirt in my closet that I still wear that I have had for 17 years. (I did have to repair it once.) Some things never wear out and never get old. They just become "vintage".

Bill Lee 2 years, 4 months ago

I just did. As long as the old stuff fits, why do I need something new?

RoeDapple 2 years, 4 months ago

Hell yes. My idea of a fashion statement is wearing my cleanest dirty shirt.

classclown 2 years, 4 months ago

I don't see why not. I've done it plenty of times before. As long as I'm not growing in any direction, it's not a problem.

Gandalf 2 years, 4 months ago

Heck the Tan Man did it every year! All you need is a pair of shorts.