Previous   Next

Could you go a whole year without buying clothes?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on December 26, 2011

Browse the archives

“When I was unemployed for a year, I just made alterations to the clothes I had to make them look fresh. So I could probably go a year.”

“It would probably be a big deal not to.”

“Definitely not.”

Comments

classclown 2 years, 8 months ago

I don't see why not. I've done it plenty of times before. As long as I'm not growing in any direction, it's not a problem.

JayCat_67 2 years, 7 months ago

The question should have been "Could you go a whole year without wearing clothes?"

Just as irrelevant, but much more entertaining.

RoeDapple 2 years, 8 months ago

Hell yes. My idea of a fashion statement is wearing my cleanest dirty shirt.

Bill Lee 2 years, 8 months ago

I just did. As long as the old stuff fits, why do I need something new?

Cait McKnelly 2 years, 8 months ago

Yes. I have a skirt in my closet that I still wear that I have had for 17 years. (I did have to repair it once.) Some things never wear out and never get old. They just become "vintage".

bearded_gnome 2 years, 8 months ago

yes, what's the news value of going a year without buying new? what's the interest?

zzz

and yes, DIST, it sure would help if the LJW gurus would associate the related story(s) with these.

not that that would've helped this lame lame lame question much!

FreeScott 2 years, 7 months ago

no mention of her being a Doctor either.

RoeDapple 2 years, 8 months ago

The SIL smoked about 10 lbs of salmon and 10 lbs of trout for Christmas dinner. They forgot to take home the leftovers. Not a problem.

RoeDapple 2 years, 8 months ago

George Foreman socks. I wear out 10 pair/year. Gray only, if you don't mind.

rockchalker52 2 years, 8 months ago

Got this little number for New Year's Eve:

Can probably make through the next year with the clothes in the closet if I put down the fork & push away from the table.

rockchalker52 2 years, 8 months ago

Fashion police didn't like that last one, I guess. How 'bout this?:

I'm looking for it in Crimson & Blue. This guy looks like Pinkel, don't you think?

beatrice 2 years, 8 months ago

Of course, anyone could. The question is, would you choose to?

FreeScott 2 years, 7 months ago

and, the story doesn't mention her being a Doctor either.

FreeScott 2 years, 7 months ago

but the message of being purposeful with one's spending is a good one.

pace 2 years, 8 months ago

No problem going a year without buying clothes. Have done that several times. I hate to shop. I was challenged when I successfully dieted and changed four sizes but only had to buy about a hundred dollars worth. People buy a lot stuff.

George_Braziller 2 years, 7 months ago

Does buying a new shirt count as "shopping for clothes"? If so I think that was about five years ago.

Robert Rauktis 2 years, 7 months ago

I have clothes i wear returning to fashion thirty years on. Problem being, I wear them in the unfashionable down periods. But that is the definition of "style", being recognizable as YOU.

Fashion is for the insecure. Patagonia is for the rest.

Blessed4x 2 years, 7 months ago

I've got 4 kids. They come first. I still wear some clothes I wore in high school 20 years ago, one t-shirt I will be buried in. Could I go a year without buying clothes? Do it all the time. Come up with something harder.

Lana Christie-Hayes 2 years, 7 months ago

Without a doubt! ... been there done that many times... you can even get free clothes at Penn House and other places if you really need to!