Previous   Next

Would you be opposed to buying violent toys (such as action figures, soldiers, guns, etc.)?

Asked at Dillons, 1015 West 23rd St. on December 21, 2011

Browse the archives

“Personally, I would (buy them). I think each child is different and if a parent explains what’s real and what’s fantasy — it just depends on the maturity of the child.”

“I wouldn’t buy toys like that. It is hard — where do you draw the line? But when they see something get hurt over and over again, it means less — they don’t understand consequences of violence.”

“We made sure our kids had nothing to do with guns. But toys really aren’t violent, video games are.”

“No. Kids’ll be kids. They’ll make it up even if you try to keep it away from them.”

Comments

RoeDapple 3 years ago

My children were never interested in toy guns. From a very early age they were allowed supervised access to weapons. Neither of them would hurt a fly, but both can handle handgun, rifle or shotgun better than most men.

TopJayhawk 2 years, 12 months ago

You are absolutly right. The type of mind set that does not allow toy guns is the mindset that turns people into victims.
I'm like you though roe. I started shooting when I was ten. I don't want to hurt anyone or anything. It's why I quit hunting. (nothing morally against it jut not for me) But I do not miss with rifle, shotgun or handgun. In my life I have fired about 80,000 rounds since '67 when my Dad taught me. I don't miss. He taught me not only to be safe, but of the enormous responsibility we have to the second ammendment and people in general

rockchalker52 3 years ago

jonas_opines 3 years ago

Nah. By the time children realize that other people are real at all, they can tell the difference between play violence and real violence.

RoeDapple 3 years ago

No such thing as a bad gun. Some's significantly better than others though . . .

labmonkey 3 years ago

I was Rambo for halloween in 3rd grade, and as part of my costume, I had a toy Uzi that made a fake machine gun sound when you pulled the trigger. Of couse, they would never allow something like that brought to school now. I don't remember how old I was when I got my first BB gun...

labmonkey 3 years ago

Roe... I disagree. There are some HiPoints that are absolutely POS's.

labmonkey 3 years ago

When I do have kids, I already have the single shot .22 rifle that will be their first gun (as long as I get the firing pin fixed, which I have had trouble getting done since it was a Winchester that was only made for 4 years).

labmonkey 3 years ago

Those Cabbage Patch Kids are damn creepy...

local_interest 3 years ago

No such thing as a bad person. Some's significantly better than others though . . .

Bill Lee 3 years ago

Kids and toy guns don't bother me nearly as much as adults with real guns do. Kids know the limits; adults don't always.

H_Lecter 3 years ago

Dexter surgical knife sets can provide hours of educational fun for the motivated child.

grammaddy 3 years ago

Never allowed "war toys" in my home. War is not a game.

SoggyKornphlake 3 years ago

All the children I've met in this town who aren't allowed to play with "violent" toys are way more violent than my son. Your son will just play with those things behind your back. Maybe if you would try talking to your children and not at them you would realize this.

grammaddy 2 years, 12 months ago

Wrong! My boys grew up exploring their "creative" side instead of the destructive side. I'm sure they turned sticks into guns while playing outside,but again, it took creativity. And you have no idea what kind of relationship we have.Maybe you should shut up and eat the Kornflakes instead of allowing them to get soggy.

H_Lecter 3 years ago

The best part of Nerf missiles is their ability to absorb lighter fluid.

Flap Doodle 3 years ago

blue, my Fanner got lost somewhere in the last 50 years. I see them on ebay once in a while & they are darned pricey.

asixbury 3 years ago

Toys don't kill people and neither do guns. It's the lunatic holding them. Besides, it's way more fun to pretend violence. I often played "cops and robbers" as a kid. I always wanted to be the robber, because it was more fun to pretend to be something "naughty." I couldn't do certain things in real life, so play time was a perfect opportunity to pretend. It satisfied my curiousity and no one got hurt. My mom made sure our toy guns did not actually look real. If they were black, she would paint them a brighter color so not to be mistaken for the real thing. She was afraid the cops would shoot us or something (too much paranoid news watching, I guess).

rockchalker52 3 years ago

Army men & firecrackers on the 4th of July.

RoeDapple 3 years ago

Army men? Nah, Barbie . . . and Ken.

RoeDapple 3 years ago

More kids are injured/killed playing organized sports than by toy guns/army men. (IMHO)

rockchalker52 3 years ago

Didn't realize there were so many Ken fans at LJW. Joe could still take him. He'd be on him like a censor on a harmless remark.

RoeDapple 3 years ago

blue - one year for Christmas we got lawn darts. A few days later I was throwing them as high as I could and one came down and hit one of my dad's chickens in the head. Quite a sight, me chasing that chicken with a lawn dart standing straight up from it's head I'm told. Anyway, the chicken seemed unharmed after the extraction until the next day. My dad came in from collecting eggs fuming about the weasels biting a chicken in the head just for the sake of killing it. 50 years later he went to his grave not knowing any differently . . .

beatrice 3 years ago

Sure he wasn't referring to you when he said weasel? : )

beatrice 3 years ago

Easy-Bake Ovens are evil. They teach little girls to anticipate a life of domestic servitude.

I've seen kids pick up a toy car and hold it in front of them as they make shooting noises. We are a society that accepts violence as entertainment. No way of getting around it now, and most of us live through it without becoming violent ourselves. I don't see how denying a child a toy gun will make a difference in America today.

Can you imagine trying to get approval to sell a wood burning kit today?

verity 3 years ago

"[W]ood burning kit" conjures up a very unpleasant although warm (one might say hot) memory. Fifty+ years and that memory is still burning bright.

asixbury 3 years ago

My husband killed his first antelope when he was 9. He owned his first gun when he was only 7. He was required to go to gun safety training before, though, so he knew how to handle his .22. If we teach children responsibility and expect them to act responsible, they usually are. I think one of the major problems with parenting nowadays are parents not expecting their kids to behave responsibly. I was expected to since I was very young. If I acted differently, I was punished. I was held accountable for my actions. Many kids now are not. They are more immature then kids generations ago were at the same age. Stop the coddling and teach the kids how to be responsible, well-adjusted adults! I am all for coddling when it's needed, just not all the time. If you expect your children to act a certain way, they will eventually. I was given no alternative growing up but to act the way that was expected.

gl0ck0wn3r 3 years ago

Hippies can't stand death metal.

RoeDapple 3 years ago

You may be onto something there bea . . .

Although my dad usually referred to us as little sh%ts . . .

mcontrary 3 years ago

I grew up pre-action figures but loved toy pistols when I was a kid, and bought a Fort Apachee with money saved from Birthday and Christmas. I'm non-violent as are my children who had toy guns and action figures. Violent games and songs give me pause and I would never have allowed them had they been available.