Previous   Next

Would you be opposed to buying violent toys (such as action figures, soldiers, guns, etc.)?

Asked at Dillons, 1015 West 23rd St. on December 21, 2011

Browse the archives

“Personally, I would (buy them). I think each child is different and if a parent explains what’s real and what’s fantasy — it just depends on the maturity of the child.”

“I wouldn’t buy toys like that. It is hard — where do you draw the line? But when they see something get hurt over and over again, it means less — they don’t understand consequences of violence.”

“We made sure our kids had nothing to do with guns. But toys really aren’t violent, video games are.”

“No. Kids’ll be kids. They’ll make it up even if you try to keep it away from them.”

Comments

mcontrary 2 years, 3 months ago

I grew up pre-action figures but loved toy pistols when I was a kid, and bought a Fort Apachee with money saved from Birthday and Christmas. I'm non-violent as are my children who had toy guns and action figures. Violent games and songs give me pause and I would never have allowed them had they been available.

blue73harley 2 years, 3 months ago

Merry Christmas Inmate.

I hope you get a conjugal visit

tange 2 years, 3 months ago

Definitely opposed. Once, I was lucky enough to acquire an apartment in which Karen Black had lived but had to leave abruptly. She left behind ALL her toys. Unfortunately, this one wasn't toilet trained...

Rara_Avis 2 years, 3 months ago

No, hippies like bands like Love. And I'll have to agree on that one point. Love is an often overlooked band from the 60's that played psychedelic rock. Known mostly for the beautifully done "Forever Changes" album. They were led by this cool guy named Arthur Lee, who died of leukemia in 2006. Truth be known, Hendrix played with them in 1964 and went from tux & bowtie Little Richard sideman to psycha-freak. Nothing original. He pretty much stole his entire "look" from Arthur. Here's a gem from the Love Forever Changes tour 2003. My favorite Love song, Arthur was already sick, but he told no one til he was dying. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnpkhw...

RoeDapple 2 years, 3 months ago

You may be onto something there bea . . .

Although my dad usually referred to us as little sh%ts . . .

gl0ck0wn3r 2 years, 3 months ago

Hippies can't stand death metal.

Rara_Avis 2 years, 3 months ago

Profound, I also liked to smash bugs. Sometimes when you smash a bug it looks like a Junior Mint. But it doesn't taste like one.

inmate 2 years, 3 months ago

I never had anything violent as a child.

CWGOKU 2 years, 3 months ago

No, war toys is all I buy. Another lame question. And Babboy turned out normal?! Too easy a straight line, I'll pass.

g_rock 2 years, 3 months ago

I could totally kill someone with a Barbie.

profound 2 years, 3 months ago

We use to burn all kinds of stuff with a magnifying glass out in the sun. Bugs were cool to roast and they sorta popped and stunk. Burned my initials in every baseball bat I got my hands on and claimed it was mine cause it had my initials on it.

profound 2 years, 3 months ago

We used to melt lead on the kitchen stove and pour it into molds and make lead soidiers. They didn't last very long though cause we chewed off their guns and heads. Then we melted them down again and made new ones. We were poor and lead was cheap. We'd go out after dark and get free lead off car wheels. Kids today are missin all the good stuff.

Rara_Avis 2 years, 3 months ago

Throw in a Tommy the Torch with the Bag O' Glass and you have the perfect gift set. I got a plastic bag with a drawstring one year. I threw it away. There were no David Carradine role models back then.

Rara_Avis 2 years, 3 months ago

Babboy, have you looked into the new Gender Identity Doll? It might be good for the kid.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 2 years, 3 months ago

Bea, Call me old fashioned, but I got one of my kids a wood burning kit for a gift not long ago. Strangely, the Indian chief pattern is no longer included, but the rocking horse was still there.

I'm off to get one of the kids a Dremel tool, the daughter a knife and the spousal unit some ammo.

P.S. Bea, I used my sisters Easy-Bake Oven, (the front open kind, not that push through piece of crap) more than she did. It taught fractions, because my mother would not buy the Easy-Bake mixes, I had to take a Betty Crocker recipe and portion it out for the smaller pans,

asixbury 2 years, 3 months ago

My husband killed his first antelope when he was 9. He owned his first gun when he was only 7. He was required to go to gun safety training before, though, so he knew how to handle his .22. If we teach children responsibility and expect them to act responsible, they usually are. I think one of the major problems with parenting nowadays are parents not expecting their kids to behave responsibly. I was expected to since I was very young. If I acted differently, I was punished. I was held accountable for my actions. Many kids now are not. They are more immature then kids generations ago were at the same age. Stop the coddling and teach the kids how to be responsible, well-adjusted adults! I am all for coddling when it's needed, just not all the time. If you expect your children to act a certain way, they will eventually. I was given no alternative growing up but to act the way that was expected.

beatrice 2 years, 3 months ago

Easy-Bake Ovens are evil. They teach little girls to anticipate a life of domestic servitude.

I've seen kids pick up a toy car and hold it in front of them as they make shooting noises. We are a society that accepts violence as entertainment. No way of getting around it now, and most of us live through it without becoming violent ourselves. I don't see how denying a child a toy gun will make a difference in America today.

Can you imagine trying to get approval to sell a wood burning kit today?

RoeDapple 2 years, 3 months ago

blue - one year for Christmas we got lawn darts. A few days later I was throwing them as high as I could and one came down and hit one of my dad's chickens in the head. Quite a sight, me chasing that chicken with a lawn dart standing straight up from it's head I'm told. Anyway, the chicken seemed unharmed after the extraction until the next day. My dad came in from collecting eggs fuming about the weasels biting a chicken in the head just for the sake of killing it. 50 years later he went to his grave not knowing any differently . . .

rockchalker52 2 years, 3 months ago

Didn't realize there were so many Ken fans at LJW. Joe could still take him. He'd be on him like a censor on a harmless remark.

RoeDapple 2 years, 3 months ago

More kids are injured/killed playing organized sports than by toy guns/army men. (IMHO)

BABBOY 2 years, 3 months ago

They really did by the way.

My kid however is not getting them......

Football and sports stuff.....

BABBOY 2 years, 3 months ago

Well, my parents bought me toy guns, soilders, and action figures and I turned out pretty normal......

The_Original_Bob 2 years, 3 months ago

"My gradual student shot me with her tech six nerf pistol and the dart stuck to my glasses right on the lens. She almost put my eye out. damn kids. doesn't matter how old they are"

Perhaps if you had an accelerated student it wouldn't be an issue.

RoeDapple 2 years, 3 months ago

Army men? Nah, Barbie . . . and Ken.

autie 2 years, 3 months ago

I just wish I had all of my HO scale armies that I blew to hell with fireworks. I guess it is about seventh grade when one day it is cool to ruin the cool toys you had and girls start to smell good. damn it.

Now down here the local on eights says possible flurries or snow showers yet has a high of 46. What's up with that? Don't those meteorologist know about the freezing point of water? Screw it, I'm off to the marsh again.

rockchalker52 2 years, 3 months ago

Army men & firecrackers on the 4th of July.

asixbury 2 years, 3 months ago

Toys don't kill people and neither do guns. It's the lunatic holding them. Besides, it's way more fun to pretend violence. I often played "cops and robbers" as a kid. I always wanted to be the robber, because it was more fun to pretend to be something "naughty." I couldn't do certain things in real life, so play time was a perfect opportunity to pretend. It satisfied my curiousity and no one got hurt. My mom made sure our toy guns did not actually look real. If they were black, she would paint them a brighter color so not to be mistaken for the real thing. She was afraid the cops would shoot us or something (too much paranoid news watching, I guess).

autie 2 years, 3 months ago

My gradual student shot me with her tech six nerf pistol and the dart stuck to my glasses right on the lens. She almost put my eye out. damn kids. doesn't matter how old they are.

Flap Doodle 2 years, 3 months ago

blue, my Fanner got lost somewhere in the last 50 years. I see them on ebay once in a while & they are darned pricey.

Andini 2 years, 3 months ago

Yes. You'll poke your eye out.

The_Original_Bob 2 years, 3 months ago

I'm not sure if the Nerf gun is violent for the child, but I get violent after about the 50th ball hits me in the head when I'm reading.

g_rock 2 years, 3 months ago

My mom is the one that had the bb gun and the toy cowboy pistol and holster when she was a kid. I just wasn't that into it.

The most tom-boyish thing I owned was a set of limited edition bicentennial smash up derby rip cord cars....which were given to me by the uncle that called me "little boy" to torment my father for not having any boys. Maybe if I had a toy gun, I would have capped uncle meany pants. That would have been fun.

SoggyKornphlake 2 years, 3 months ago

All the children I've met in this town who aren't allowed to play with "violent" toys are way more violent than my son. Your son will just play with those things behind your back. Maybe if you would try talking to your children and not at them you would realize this.

grammaddy 2 years, 3 months ago

Never allowed "war toys" in my home. War is not a game.

H_Lecter 2 years, 3 months ago

Dexter surgical knife sets can provide hours of educational fun for the motivated child.

Odeo 2 years, 3 months ago

Odeo 2 years, 3 months ago

Bill Lee 2 years, 3 months ago

Kids and toy guns don't bother me nearly as much as adults with real guns do. Kids know the limits; adults don't always.

autie 2 years, 3 months ago

Nothing says happy new years like a four deuce mortar.

Benjamin Roberts 2 years, 3 months ago

Toys are not violent. At most, they provide an outlet for pretend violence. Pretend play is where a child can safely learn the difference between play and reality.

Of course for parents that can not make the distinction it is best for them to not buy toys that promote pretend violence. Chances are their kids will be just as incapable of telling the difference between play and reality also. It's that branch and tree, apple and tree, chip off the old block, like father like son - thing.

local_interest 2 years, 3 months ago

No such thing as a bad person. Some's significantly better than others though . . .

Jane 2 years, 3 months ago

No Chuckie dolls, everything else is okay.

blue73harley 2 years, 3 months ago

Anyone know where I can get a Bag O' Glass on short notice? It's almost Christmas and I need to get the kids something, but all the stores seem to be sold out! The family is on a budget this year (like so many others) and I saw the owner of the company that makes the Bag O' Glass on a TV show being interviewed, and he said it was totally safe.

(a question on Amazon)

blue73harley 2 years, 3 months ago

Another classic toy banned by the nanny state - Lawn Darts. I still have a set of those too. We break them out with a box-o-wine during our family get-togethers.

Rara_Avis 2 years, 3 months ago

I do regret breaking my Stretch Armstrong. I tore his stomach open to see what made him stretch. He was full of this thick green goo. I saw one in-the-box on Ebay a while ago. Somebody bid $3000 on it,

Rara_Avis 2 years, 3 months ago

There are lots of violent toys that our sissy society has banned. I really miss Click-Clacks. And the switchblade comb. I removed the comb and put the end of an ice pick in it. If I had kids I would just give them lighters and homemeade shanks and stuff. I had tons of toy soldiers and one of those stupid vibrating football games that didn't do anything. Oh, and Socker Boppers, those giant inflatable boxing gloves. My brother and I broke those in a couple of hours. We broke most of our toys. Stretch Armstrong was no softy. I hit a neighbor kid in the head with mine and knocked him out. As for guns, I always default to WWDD, What Would Dylan Do. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtmEDb...

Rara_Avis 2 years, 3 months ago

A couple of years ago I got a cool present. A combination car window smasher/seat belt cutter. I guess you're supposed to use it if you drive into a lake or something. It's about the size of a lighter. I remember thinking it could be used for both great good or evil. I tried it out on my windshield. It worked.

labmonkey 2 years, 3 months ago

When I do have kids, I already have the single shot .22 rifle that will be their first gun (as long as I get the firing pin fixed, which I have had trouble getting done since it was a Winchester that was only made for 4 years).

blue73harley 2 years, 3 months ago

Dear Santa, Please bring my grandson a new Browning 1911-22.

labmonkey 2 years, 3 months ago

Roe... I disagree. There are some HiPoints that are absolutely POS's.

labmonkey 2 years, 3 months ago

I was Rambo for halloween in 3rd grade, and as part of my costume, I had a toy Uzi that made a fake machine gun sound when you pulled the trigger. Of couse, they would never allow something like that brought to school now. I don't remember how old I was when I got my first BB gun...

RoeDapple 2 years, 3 months ago

No such thing as a bad gun. Some's significantly better than others though . . .

blue73harley 2 years, 3 months ago

These early OTS questions must be driving KU_law crazy.

And, Snap, I still have my Mattel Fanner AND an unopened package of "Shootin' Shells".

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 2 years, 3 months ago

Of course, otherwise one may grow up to be a rage prone lawyer.

jonas_opines 2 years, 3 months ago

Nah. By the time children realize that other people are real at all, they can tell the difference between play violence and real violence.

rockchalker52 2 years, 3 months ago

RoeDapple 2 years, 3 months ago

My children were never interested in toy guns. From a very early age they were allowed supervised access to weapons. Neither of them would hurt a fly, but both can handle handgun, rifle or shotgun better than most men.