Previous   Next

Have you heard of the Large Hadron Collider experiment?

Asked at Dillons, 3000 W. 6th St. on December 15, 2011

Browse the archives

“No, but that’s neat. I will have to research it.”

“Yes, a bit — on a tech site.”

“I think so, on the news.”

“No, I’ve never heard of it.”

Comments

RoeDapple 3 years ago

It is being used to experiment with time travel. I'm there now preparing to test it.

rockchalker52 3 years ago

Isn't that the giant racetrack for atoms & quarks & diminutive matter & such where they send microscopic things smashing into each other? Cool stuff, prolly some good reasons to do it. . I don't understand any of 'em.

RoeDapple 3 years ago

Really? I'd like to ask him a couple of questions about Phred. And why the lottery hasn't paid off for me.

Flap Doodle 3 years ago

Don't come whining to me after the universe gets sucked backwards through a black hole.

Cait McKnelly 3 years ago

I have followed CERN since the early '80's (and I mean early, like 1981). I had a subscription to OMNI magazine and they always reported on the CERN reactor. (God, I miss Ben Bova.) That was back when they first figured out they could actually, y'know, do nuclear fusion. But to answer the question, yeah, I've "heard" of it. Ok...I'm a geek.

Eugehne Normandin 3 years ago

I think that it has something to do with making fruitcake.

denak 3 years ago

Yes but only because I watch The Big Bang Theory. I've learned more about physics from that show than I did in college. Plus, it's really funny!

Mixolydian 3 years ago

What? Did it walk into a bar or something?

RoeDapple 3 years ago

You knew it is French . . . Right?

somedude20 3 years ago

I saw a dude turn into a werewolf last night (and his hair was perfect) around 6th and Wakarusa and I think it has something to do with this machine. I am getting all my silver melted down into bullets now!

1029 3 years ago

No, I've been living in a cave for the last 2 or 3 years.

Hooligan_016 3 years ago

I bet a similar response would occur if it was asked "Do you know who Christopher Hitchens is?" With a follow-up: "Did you know he passed away this month?" :(

asixbury 3 years ago

You say atheist like it's a bad thing.

Deja Coffin 3 years ago

Yes I have heard of it. I think a spent a good week worrying about it when they first started it, thinking it was going to cause some major catastrophe. But it didn't so I tried to forget about it and worry about more important things like Bruja sightings in Mexico until I read this OTS. Thanks for bringing it up, back to the fallout shelter for me!

rockchalker52 3 years ago

"Valvu Collider" g_rock

(checking hole cards) yeah, I'm gonna go ahead & fold. trumps anything I've seen so far.

talk about drawing to an inside straight...

asixbury 3 years ago

Old news, but awesome that they're getting close to discovering the "god particle." This collider's been in the news for quite a while now. Anyone who watches foreign news, not American celebrity news, would have heard of it. Pay attention folks! Jeezz...people are pretty ignorant of what goes on past their doorstep!

Anyone have an extra flux capacitor? Mine broke while traveling back to a time in which common sense was actually common.

verity 3 years ago

They started to build a super collider in Texas, but then they ran out of money or something.

Kirk Larson 3 years ago

Ran out of the American will to be on the cutting edge of scientific discovery. I know someone who worked on the proposal to build it in Kansas. We had a great site for it, but the started building it in Texas because GHW Bush and Lloyd Bentson, both of TX, were running for office that year.

verity 3 years ago

You saying we're making ourselves into a third world country?

Kirk Larson 3 years ago

Just sayin' we put politics ahead of good science then didn't follow through. Maybe that is how you go from the first to the third world.

verity 3 years ago

That's what I was thinking.

I like your cat.