Previous   Next

Do you have a special way you like to wrap gifts?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on December 11, 2011

Browse the archives

“I like to use newspaper.”

“In a bag.”

“The quickest way possible — quick and sloppy.”

Comments

labmonkey 3 years, 5 months ago

Matt likes his gift wrapping like he likes his uh... never mind....

number3of5 3 years, 5 months ago

I like to wrap my gifts in paper with ribbons, bow and a gift tag. I hate it when people use a bag, that says to me, "I just couldn't take the time to wrap it, or you are not important enough to waste my time on."

kernal 3 years, 5 months ago

Wow, 3of5! When I was a kid, I used to love gifts of a book every Christmas from an older family member in the book store's bag. Because her hands were so knarled by arthritis it was painful for her to even tie a bow around it.

Katara 3 years, 5 months ago

I've gotten some really pretty gifts bags and someone still had to take the time to select it so I don't believe they don't consider me important enough.

number3of5 3 years, 5 months ago

TopJayhawk 3 years, 5 months ago

So, you have a discussion with your wrapping paper?

Loki 3 years, 5 months ago

I hope number 3of5 isn't on my gift list because I use bags but dress them up nicely with tissue papper and ribbons.

Loki 3 years, 5 months ago

Oh, and I usually do it in my car after picking up the gift on the way to the gift giving event.

jonas_opines 3 years, 5 months ago

With that kind of attitude, they're probably not on many people's gift list.

parrothead8 3 years, 5 months ago

I wish I could afford to retire at Matt's age. Maybe if I spent less on wrapping paper...

BMI 3 years, 5 months ago

20 some years ago, my wife started buying Christmas fabric cheap after the holiday. (Which she says they don't do now). She made about a hundred neat as a pin, various size cloth bags that she ties up at the top with a quaint Santa like bunch of folds, and a shiny cords, knots tied at the ends.The bottoms are folded like a grocery sack, a plain folder. Any type to fit any typical game, box or book. Iron the first time, care for it, and she seldom has to re-iron. Our tree looks like Santa truly did bring those presents every year.

RoeDapple 3 years, 5 months ago

I like to gift lottery ticket in Chinese gift bags from Walmart. Sometimes I get told what a tight-a$$ I am. Usually not before they check their number though . . .

RoeDapple 3 years, 5 months ago

Don't know what going on with my letter "s" lately . . . Maybe it's time to take the laptop out to the compressor and blow the cheetos outa the keyboard . . .

xyz 3 years, 5 months ago

You and your princess should plan now to walk down the hill together this spring! Having done it 3 times, it's a fabulous experience for both the grad and their family. Go for it!

Liberty275 3 years, 5 months ago

The best way I've found is making my wife do it.

RoeDapple 3 years, 5 months ago

Liberty275 (anonymous) says… "The best way I've found is making my wife do it."

Doesn't she get a little grouchy when she wraps her own?

I know mine does. Geez, how hard is it to drop in a bag? If she puts a name tag on it I always sign it. When she reminds me . . .

Liberty275 3 years, 5 months ago

She doesn't wrap her own. She goes to the store with me when I buy it.

pace 3 years, 5 months ago

People have different skills. I use a hammer to make a gift look less bumpy. My wrapping skills aren't too good. I do try to find gifts the recipient might like. That is sometimes hard, sometimes I fail. But those wads of paper and gobs of tape aren't bumpy.

pace 3 years, 5 months ago

I don't get your joke. It made no sense to me. I was joking about my gift wrapping skills. What are talking about?

pace 3 years, 5 months ago

Yech, interesting that you got that. It would never occur to me. I really didn't get his point.

pace 3 years, 5 months ago

Are you saying you really were joking about me hitting my spouse with a hammer?

pace 3 years, 5 months ago

I never did get "jokes" like that, pointless except some sort of sordid image of harm. I was slow, couldn't figure it out. I am glad I asked, sorry the creep used my post to hang such trash.

Bill Lee 3 years, 5 months ago

I don't exchange gifts much anymore, but when I did I liked to use white butcher paper. It comes in large rolls. Ribbons, bows, yarn and other elements added color to the packages.

RoeDapple 3 years, 5 months ago

For a couple of bucks you can go to LJWorld's office on New Hampshire St. and buy end rolls of unused news print. One roll can wrap hundreds of gifts with enough left over to line the canary cage for years. The birds might miss the reading material though . . .

Sarah St. John 3 years, 5 months ago

I use those end-rolls all the time! They're great for wrapping (you can draw on the packages if you're artsy) and for children and crayons on a rainy day. We don't have a canary because we have untrustworthy cats.